Need Plants (Grass) To Counter Erosion

swissie

Problem: One side of the property borders on a creek. The land slopes down to the creek at different angles, ranging from 40 to 90(!) degrees. Every rainy season the creek eats away a few centimeters of the land.

Any sort of grass or plant that grows fast with a lot of soil-stabilizing roots that will develop enough roots to do the trick before the next rainiy-season sets in?

If that should not work, I will have to do something "technical", probably with rocks plus concrete, but I'd rather not.

Some months ago, I read about a certain type of grass that is ideal for this purpose (even recommended by the Kings Agri-Laboratories.) But, for the love of god, I can't remember where I read it!

Anyone? Thanks & cheers.

I think it's called veviter grass,, I tried to get some last year without success,, I think some government agri departments were giving it away free for the purpose of preventing land erosion, but couldn't get my hands on any last year

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Vetiver grass cuttings (growing in small plastic bags with roots) are provided FREE from most Department of Land Development centres in Thailand which are located in nearly all provinces. Just ask around. Thee are also other small shrubs and trees that provide good soil erosion control. But remember, if planting in the dry season, one must water every day until the rains start next May or June. Otherwise the seedlings will die. Once established, there is no problem. In second and subsequent years one does not have to water. Also, trim your Vetiver grass back to prevent it becoming too tall and rank.

Vetiver grass cuttings (growing in small plastic bags with roots) are provided FREE from most Department of Land Development centres in Thailand which are located in nearly all provinces. Just ask around. Thee are also other small shrubs and trees that provide good soil erosion control. But remember, if planting in the dry season, one must water every day until the rains start next May or June. Otherwise the seedlings will die. Once established, there is no problem. In second and subsequent years one does not have to water. Also, trim your Vetiver grass back to prevent it becoming too tall and rank.

I got some vetiver grass (Yah faek) free earlier in the year from the Land Developement office. Unfortunately it didn't have time to develop a good root structure and most was washed away in the heavy rain! Should be ideal for what you want.

Thanks folks, for the help. Will do accorting to the advice here. I realize that I will have to water daily during the dry season. Althoug: At the spots, where it slopes down to the creek at a very steep angle (almost vertical), any grass or plant will have a hard time "to get a foothold", so to speak. (I think).

Cheers.

'Bermuda' grass, either from seed or from turf will consolidate your slope. If you 'google' it you will find that under the right conditions it can send its roots down a very long way (some 3 or 4 feet). This is probably why it is referred to sometimes as 'Devil Grass',as it is the 'Devils own job' to get rid of it, once it is established ! It does require quite a lot of direct sunshine to prosper, so this might be a problem if the slope is north facing, but worth a try.

'Bermuda' grass, either from seed or from turf will consolidate your slope. If you 'google' it you will find that under the right conditions it can send its roots down a very long way (some 3 or 4 feet). This is probably why it is referred to sometimes as 'Devil Grass',as it is the 'Devils own job' to get rid of it, once it is established ! It does require quite a lot of direct sunshine to prosper, so this might be a problem if the slope is north facing, but worth a try.

Sounds good. Aerea is on the west-side. If irrigation is needed during dry-season, I may have to go with turf, to prevent the seeds from being washed out. All I have to do now, is find out what Bermuda grass is called in Thaismile.png

Thanks & cheers.

Bermuda grass is called yaa praek in Thai. It is found throughout Thailand, particularly in hardgrazed or heavily trampled village areas in Northeast Thailand. This is the local ecotype. No seed is available. And indeed, no seed of forage bermuda grass that would be suitable for erosion control is found in Thailand. The seed one comes across in garden centres in Thailand is the turf type for lawns that has been bred in the USA for lawns only. About 40 years ago I grew Coastalbermuda grass for grazing and hay in Amphur Borabu, Mahasarakham. It was also very good for erosion control.

http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Cynodon_dactylon.htm

One can look at other forage grasses that also have erosion control properties, Pangola grass is grown on Animal nutrition stations belonging to the Land Development Dept. It sets no seed, but one can get rhizomes and stolons from these stations. It spreads out quickly.

http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Digitaria_eriantha.htm

If one wants seed, then perhaps Ubon stylo would be good. This legume grows quickly on all soil types. Very dense and drought tolerant. Seed is available from me.

http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Stylosanthes_guianensis_var._guianensis.htm

And finally, another legume Arachis pintoi. Slow growing, but a very attractive ground cover with yellow flowers. Seed is not produced in Thailand, however, I import a few hundred kg every year from Bolivia. Currently I am out of stock but another lot will arrive in January.

http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Arachis_pintoi.htm

The best bet is still vetiver grass but you must plant vegetatively.

I hesitate to bring this up, but definitely the best solution would be dwarf bamboo as used in Japan in similar situations. There are a few dwarf bamboos native to Thailand but I have no idea if you can buy it. Mind you, you might have a problem getting rid of it...