Which Airlines Do You Prefer Flying Back To America?

mr3cho

Just got back on a flight with UAL. It was OK. Cattle call, but that's about the same on any airline. Staff were pretty good. Only encountered on surly FA, the rest were actually quite funny and helped us as best they could. We were flying with my 87 year old mom and her dog. Wheelchair service setup the whole way. Food was pretty bad and the plane from SFO to Tokyo didn't have seat back TVs. A bit of a bummer, but we just read our books or played a few vids on the iPad (bring a splitter for your ear jack...works great).

We did upgrade to Economy Plus. Flights were pretty packed, and was disappointed we were off loaded on the tarmac and had to take a shuttle to the terminal. Not good for an 87 year old, jet lagged lady.

UA used to have an FA base here in Thailand, twice, but no more. Many FAs on the BKK-NRT, and even NRT-USA, sectors would be NRT-based, and likely Japanese or Asian. But then UA flight attendant Iris Peterson retired at age 85! ( I flew with her many, many times.)

I fly UA exclusively between BKK and the U.S.A. (BOS) and am generally pleased with the schedule. service, amenities, clubs, price. I purchase economy, USA-BKK-USA stringing those together, and use earned complimentary upgrades to upgrade to business (or first domestically). When the BKK-NRT sector on UA is cancelled I've been put on both TG and DL, both of which seemed acceptable. The DL A330 (?) seemed brand new and the staff were pleasant and professional.

Ahhhh the RFA's (Regional FA's) were what made UA/NW special in the day. Sadly they were not permitted to work the same flights as the surly AFA trolly dollies and it also made crew scheduling very difficult when NRT-HNL was booming. The bases in SIN & BKK were awesome, now the base in NRT is 50% Japanese and 30% Filipino, 20% other Asians, they are now all US green card holders & unionised.

As previously mentioned Air Canada is a viable option, TG/UA-ANA to NRT or HKG then to YVR/YYZ and easy connections to the USA with pre clearance of US customs & immigration in Canada-Air Canada has been voted as the Best North American Airline for a few years now.

With all the Asian, European & now ME carriers serving North America US carriers are on the bottom of my list.