Need Some Help Understanding What Australian Visa My Wife Has...

So on the slip of paper that they gave my wife with the 'paperless' electronic tourist visa for Australia it says....

IMPORTANT

You have been issued a visa for travel to Australia as a:

TOURIST

MULTIPLE ENTRIES

into Australia for a STAY of up to:

THREE MONTHS

The visa is valid for entry to Australia for:

TWELVE MONTHS

from the date of this slip.

My wife said that the VFS people in Bangkok told her that the visa would allow her to stay in Aus for 1 year. But when we arrived at immigration I asked the officer and he said it was for a 3 month stay (though he didn't sound completely definate.....). We did only apply for a 3 month one, but I thought they may have given her more than we asked.

So can anyone please help clear this up for us ? It would be great if it was for 1 year as otherwise we will have to apply for extensions here as I just found a job here so we are hoping to stay for a while.

Cheers.

Hi ags

Looks like she was issued with a 12month multi entry visa.

She will be able to do multible trips to Aus from the date on the visa slip.but will only be able to stay for a period of up to 3month's each trip.

Just 1 thing to keep in mind is that it is a tourist visa and cant be seen as a way of her living here.

Did she have the 8503 attached?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am an Australian citizen, as is our 1 year old son (dual citizen). We arrived here in Australia about 3 weeks ago and initially were planning to stay a month and then return to Thailand, but I was fortunate to gain a job here just after arriving, so now we want to stay here.

I realize that it's just a tourist visa and eventually we will do the partner visa, but it could be a problem that I have been off the radar(and worked on the internet) for a number of years and have lived in Thailand for the major part of 5 years.

So if it is a multiple entry 1 year visa (basically same as the non-o 1 year in thailand ?? ) then she would basically have to go back to Thailand every 3 months ? I guess if we booked flights in advance it might not cost that much...

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am an Australian citizen, as is our 1 year old son (dual citizen). We arrived here in Australia about 3 weeks ago and initially were planning to stay a month and then return to Thailand, but I was fortunate to gain a job here just after arriving, so now we want to stay here.

I realize that it's just a tourist visa and eventually we will do the partner visa, but it could be a problem that I have been off the radar(and worked on the internet) for a number of years and have lived in Thailand for the major part of 5 years.

So if it is a multiple entry 1 year visa (basically same as the non-o 1 year in thailand ?? ) then she would basically have to go back to Thailand every 3 months ? I guess if we booked flights in advance it might not cost that much...

No, it's not the same as a non-o.

As nightwatch indicated above, she's not allowed to live in Oz on tourist visa's.

So from DIAC's point of view, it's preferable that she doesn't do a "visa run" and

come back the next day every 3 months. This could lead to problems.

And as for you being "off the radar". As long as you can financially support your partner,

it will have no bearing at all on a visa application.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

Take a look at the URL below, it should point you in the right direction.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/family-visas-partner.htm

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like the answer is to apply for a partner visa (and try and do it before the price goes up next year....). Is that generally able to be done whilst in Australia on a tourist visa or is that also a problem ?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like the answer is to apply for a partner visa (and try and do it before the price goes up next year....). Is that generally able to be done whilst in Australia on a tourist visa or is that also a problem ?

Thanks again.

If she doesn't have NFS, 8503 condition attached to the visa,

you can apply onshore.

Regards

Will

Thanks again.

This URL enables you to download the info booklet that hopefully answers any questions you have.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books1.htm

She can stay for up to 3 months from when she first arrived. It becomes void 3 months after her first arrival.

I agree with this answer, for what it is worth. We had the same problem trying to understand what it meant and it didn't help when enquiring both in Bangkok at and ringing Immigration in Oz. One officer in Oz, bless her little heart did not know what an electronic visa was. This was a few years ago when the electronic visas were first t introduced.

The best people I found to answer your questions regarding visa lengths etc, mainly so you dont have to wait on hold for ever to diac is talk to the immigration guys and girls at the airport. I found them very helpful.

Its their job to know all regarding visas. Easy.

Its easy to understand her visa.

Its a 3 month holiday visa and she has 12 months to use from the stamped date

I dont understand how you dont understand?

Its actually a multiple entry visa which is valid for 3 months stay with each visit and I think she wouldnt have to return to thailand at the end of each 3 months I believe it may be worth checking for a definitive answer on that point as it may be worth just taking a few days holiday in somewhere like Bali and then returning for another 3 months which i think would be much cheaper on your pocket than paying for flights to Thailand .

Its easy to understand her visa.

Its a 3 month holiday visa and she has 12 months to use from the stamped date

I dont understand how you dont understand?

Its actually a multiple entry visa which is valid for 3 months stay with each visit and I think she wouldnt have to return to thailand at the end of each 3 months I believe it may be worth checking for a definitive answer on that point as it may be worth just taking a few days holiday in somewhere like Bali and then returning for another 3 months which i think would be much cheaper on your pocket than paying for flights to Thailand .

She just has to leave the country every 3 months to activate the visa.

Regards

Will

Its a 3 month visa.

It has multiple entries but its still only 3 months.

Surely its not a leave after 11 weeks and 6 days then return the following day for a further 11 weeks and 6 days and so on and so on for a year?

If thats the case then wouldnt they just issue a 12 month visa?.

Its a 3 month visa.

It has multiple entries but its still only 3 months.

Surely its not a leave after 11 weeks and 6 days then return the following day for a further 11 weeks and 6 days and so on and so on for a year?

If thats the case then wouldnt they just issue a 12 month visa?.

That's exactly what is it.

Regards

Will

You have 1 year to activate the visa by entering Australia. Once activated, you have 3 months to do your stuff and leave. You may leave and come back within that 3 months. After that 3 months, if you want to go to Australia again, you must apply for another visa.

You have 1 year to activate the visa by entering Australia. Once activated, you have 3 months to do your stuff and leave. You may leave and come back within that 3 months. After that 3 months, if you want to go to Australia again, you must apply for another visa.

Not correct.

The visa is valid for a 12 months.

Once activated, OP can basically come and go as long as she doesn't stay for more than

3 months at a time.

The visa is valid for 1 year so in effect, if she enters Australia on the day before the visa ceases,

you can, in effect get 15 months out of it.

Regards

Will

Will 27 is absolutely correct.

Bob

Correct in yours and Wills eyes Bob.

I read it differently.

Anyhow these questions regarding visas pop up regularly on TV, end of the day I wouldnt follow to much advice given here, could be wrong. Ring the person who issued the visa. They know 100%.

The catch is exactly what Thai Visa Express posted, saying does it have no further stay on it.

Will 27 is absolutely correct.

Bob

Correct in yours and Wills eyes Bob.

I read it differently.

Anyhow these questions regarding visas pop up regularly on TV, end of the day I wouldnt follow to much advice given here, could be wrong. Ring the person who issued the visa. They know 100%.

The catch is exactly what Thai Visa Express posted, saying does it have no further stay on it.

Well, why don't you tell us all how you've read it?

Blind Freddy can see that she's been issued a 12 month multiple entry visa.

I've already asked if it has "No Further Stay" on it in post #9.

I don't see why you think it's the "catch" though, as that has nothing

to do with the issued visa anyway.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

MULTIPLE ENTRIES

into Australia for a STAY of up to:

THREE MONTHS

The visa is valid for entry to Australia for:

TWELVE MONTHS

from the date of this slip.

"MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Australia for a STAY of up to THREE MONTHS"

It's quite hard to read this in any way that does not mean precisely what is said ! It is not a matter of "eyes" for heavens sake!!

To repeat a question previously asked "Well, why don't you tell us all how you've read it?"

NFS has exactly "nil" to do with "multiple entry". NFS etc. simply precludes the visa holder from attempting to extend/change visa whilst in Austraia.

"The visa is valid for entry to Australia for TWELVE MONTHS from the date of this slip"

Hmmmm ........ Not too much to add to this! Multiple entries (of 3 months each) and valid for such entries for a period of 12 months.

Now ... will Australia permit "visa runs?".... a different question .. but I doubt it!

It's quite hard to read this in any way that does not mean precisely what is said ! It is not a matter of "eyes" for heavens sake!!

To repeat a question previously asked "Well, why don't you tell us all how you've read it?"

NFS has exactly "nil" to do with "multiple entry". NFS etc. simply precludes the visa holder from attempting to extend/change visa whilst in Austraia.

"The visa is valid for entry to Australia for TWELVE MONTHS from the date of this slip"

I interpret "MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Australia for a STAY of up to THREE MONTHS" as meaning a single 3 month period. It says 'a stay' not stays.

"The visa is valid for entry to Australia for TWELVE MONTHS from the date of this slip" = you get 12 months to enter Australia the first time.

But really, it's a national security document. There should be no room for ambiguity and misinterpretation. There should be guidance notes somewhere that spell it out in black and white..

• Like 1

I interpret "MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Australia for a STAY of up to THREE MONTHS" as meaning a single 3 month period. It says 'a stay' not stays.

"The visa is valid for entry to Australia for TWELVE MONTHS from the date of this slip" = you get 12 months to enter Australia the first time.

But really, it's a national security document. There should be no room for ambiguity and misinterpretation. There should be guidance notes somewhere that spell it out in black and white..

Mutliple entries are the key words. If it wasn't for that, she would only be permitted one entry/departure.

The visa is valid for entry to Australia for: TWELVE MONTHS from the date of this slip.

This is the part which means you basically have 12 months to activate the visa.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

My girl friend has had one of these visas and used it for two two-week stays just less than 12 months apart.

So, it is valid for use for a full 12 months for multiple entries (max stay in a single trip of 3 months).

<i>Sent from my HTC phone.</i>

Hi tw25rw

I grant your point that the phraseology could be improved ... but you seem to be simply disregarding the "multiple entries" statement on the first line of the attached letter!

Your statement :

"I interpret "MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Australia for a STAY of up to THREE MONTHS" as meaning a single 3 month period." ...... is a little odd!!

multiple entries = a single entry. Hmmmmm .... no!

Personal experience confirms that this 12 month Multi Visa allows multiple entry to Aust. during the 12 month period of validity.. A couple of years past Mrs.tig traveled to Aust. 3 times on such a Visa.

• Like 1