Truck Spills Nitric Acid Near Bangkok

webfact

Truck spills acid near Bangkok

The Nation

30194180-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A truck carrying 4 tonnes of nitric acid overturned yesterday, spilling the chemical on to an expressway lane of Kanchanaphisek Road near Bang Bua Thong just north of Bangkok.

Police sealed the area shortly after 9.30am and contained the spill by spraying water and fire-extinguisher foam. A motorcyclist who rode past the area reportedly inhaled the chemical, fainted and fell off the bike, and traffic in the area became heavily congested.

Truck driver Niwapong Deeraksa, 25, who was slightly injured, told police the left rear wheel suddenly came off while he was driving, causing the truck to turn sideways and 540 litres of nitric acid leaked out.

In related news, Bangkok City and Land Transport officials will organise an accident drill tomorrow for trucks carrying chemicals or fuel on Chao Kreetha Road in Lat Krabang to test 300 officials' capacity to manage such dramas.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-13

One day Thailand might want to join the developed world and invest in safety and standards.

Wheels fell off a truck carrying acid......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

To right

Vehicle services & the man in the picture with short sleaves whilst the others are covered head to foot

If things got worse, he could always make a quick exit with his jet-pack. :rolleyes:

The wheel came off????? OMG this vehicle is carrying a hazardous load, who on gods earth did the vehicle inspection before it left with the load? Come on there are very strict regulations for vehicle carrying such a load.

They will "organize" a truck accident drill so they know how to clean up. Those Thais. Boy oh boy!! They know accidentally what to work on. After the accident, work on clean up drills. Don't worry about preventive safety and security and truck regulations and inspections so as to "prevent" the accidents. Boy oh boy these Thais - they sure have nailed it! These Thais, they are something else.

• Like 1

whistling.gif

The wheel suddenly came off !

Don't you just love that statement?

Tells you all you could hope to know about the state of the maintenance of that vehicle.

Wheels do not normally just fall off well maintained vehicles.

whistling.gif

P. S. A friend of mine once told this to a traffic policeman this statement regarding his "accident" at an intersection where there was a painted "Zebra" crossing (Pedestrians have the legal right of way in Zebra crossings).

He said, "I was distracted by a pretty girl on the sidewalk, and I failed to notice the flashing yellow iight that showed there was a pedestrian crossing at the Zebra crossing; so therefore I ran into the rear end of the other vehicle stopped at the Zebra crossing to allow the pedestrian to cross".

He was judged to be 100% at fault. This accident occured in Denmark.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The wheel fell off crazy.gifcrazy.gif . Amazing. When I 1st joined this forum a couple of yrs ago I would read a story such as this and think <deleted>, now it is just ho hum another day in Thailand.

Edited by softgeorge

They will "organize" a truck accident drill so they know how to clean up. Those Thais. Boy oh boy!! They know accidentally what to work on. After the accident, work on clean up drills. Don't worry about preventive safety and security and truck regulations and inspections so as to "prevent" the accidents. Boy oh boy these Thais - they sure have nailed it! These Thais, they are something else.

Just one of about 50 or so reports of training exercises in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/8376958.stm

So why knock the Thai's????

They are beng sensible, since we all know such incidents will occur in the future.

In the UK in 1990 a fully laden petrol tanker ploughed into a support pillar at Spaghetti Junction, caught fire, and caused the main access road into the City of Birmingham to be closed because concrete had melted.

Hazmat accidents happen everywhere so take off your blinkers and look at the world outside your private one.

Edited by farangbanok

No.. different accident. The fatality was an accident with a truck carrying bulk dangerous goods, not just a few pails.

Far more serious than the one in this thread

Apparently they couldn't determine the sex of the motorcycle rider due to acid burns

Edited by eeeya