Delivery Time For First Class Mail From The Usa

T_Dog

I just got a letter/card today from the US mailed November 01. Don't remember ever being that slow before.

So there is hope I might get something! Was your card sent First Class Air Mail?

(edit: Also.. Was there any history of mis-routing? I had one letter several months back that took a side trip to Taiwan.)

Will take a look at the stamp when I get to work tomorrow but pretty certain it was 1st class air. This is to our university PO box and seldom have delays like this. Not stamps or marking on it indicating re-route. The address is a printed label and very clear and accurate address.

Took a look at the letter and appears to have been sent First Class Mail International and I was wrong on the date, it was sent Nov. 30. Still that is nearly 6 weeks delivery.

post-566-0-83063300-1357616744_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-57892700-1357616761_thumb.jpg

Just got the 4 packages today that I have been waiting for, all sent from the USA. All sent around the 21st of November. By the post marks, one arrived on the 5th, 3 on the 7th January. One was opened by customs (tax 127 Baht) even though was marked gift and value US $20.00. Another not opened but tax 7 Baht! 2 others not opened, no tax.

Mail has been getting slower over the past 2-3 years but it is not always. Today I received items post marked Dec 18. 26 and 27 which could have been sitting in my PO Box for a few days. The Dec 18 was not marked Air Mail.

From the USA is not the problem..have received two letters this week one dated dec 15 and the other dec 19....

On the other hand, I have sent a tital of 15 letters - three separate mailing dates dec 15 dec 24 and dec 30...

so far no one had received anything from me...very frustrating...

The clerks take your money and the letters but I actually don't see the postage go onto the letters . They do some step and then toss the letters into a bib behind them....

Who in the hell knows what is truly happening?

I will track then to see if they arrive but man oh man sure looks like they could easily be supplementing their income by collecting the money and tossing the letters into the garbage later. I doubt they re-cycle. My wife says, oh they gave you a receipt..answer big deal..it's not a tracking device.It's a single copy not a duplicate which it actually should be so internally be tracking how much money comes in...

Seroiusly doubt there is a check and balance system in place in the Thai postal service. Anyone know if there is any competency happening on the QA/QC dept or is it just non-existent here?

Today is Jan 8th...

CB

I just got a letter/card today from the US mailed November 01. Don't remember ever being that slow before.

So there is hope I might get something! Was your card sent First Class Air Mail?

(edit: Also.. Was there any history of mis-routing? I had one letter several months back that took a side trip to Taiwan.)

Will take a look at the stamp when I get to work tomorrow but pretty certain it was 1st class air. This is to our university PO box and seldom have delays like this. Not stamps or marking on it indicating re-route. The address is a printed label and very clear and accurate address.

Took a look at the letter and appears to have been sent First Class Mail International and I was wrong on the date, it was sent Nov. 30. Still that is nearly 6 weeks delivery.

post-566-0-83063300-1357616744_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-57892700-1357616761_thumb.jpg

Total time on an airplane was likely less than 30 hours total. Makes one wonder where it sat for the rest of those six weeks!

Just received a Christmas card today that was postmarked 11 December, or 30 days to arrive from Michigan. Still no sign of the other more important things mailed earlier.

Edited by T_Dog

And another anomaly. These two were sent from the exact same place 9 days apart but they both arrived at my office yesterday at the same time. biggrin.png The zip code is central Illinois US.

post-566-0-87101000-1357826920_thumb.jpg

Variability like that indicates a process out of control! I wonder where the early one got delayed. sick.gif

Just received a letter from my uncle in the US (state of Maine).

Mailed 1st class international Dec 18 2012.

Arrived here Jan 7 2013, so yeah approx. 3 weeks.

But that is during Xmas season, and he completely botched up the address. Surprised it ever arrived....biggrin.png

Usually mail from California gets here in as little as 7 days, maybe 10 days max.

My mom forwarded some new credit cards received at her address for me in November- about 10 days from rural northern California to here.

For me, it usually takes 10-14 days from the east coast of the US, and that goes for letters as well as parcels. Over the recent holiday, a package shipped from Amazon on Dec 20 arrived on Jan 4. It was a single book with no customs duty charged.

I mostly send registered airmail from the west coast US to CM and yet to lose anything and never more than about 12 days.

Recently received one 10 days.

When I am in the US I don't think I have ever lost a letter or parcel thru USPS. I know it can happen but its fairly rare.

Sounds like a foul up somewhere in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

All five items that are now past 60 days since mailing were in envelopes with a small plastic window over the address. No Christmas cards got lost by the looks of it but why would envelopes with windows be a problem?

I mostly send registered airmail from the west coast US to CM and yet to lose anything and never more than about 12 days.

Recently received one 10 days.

When I am in the US I don't think I have ever lost a letter or parcel thru USPS. I know it can happen but its fairly rare.

Sounds like a foul up somewhere in Thailand.

well, lost boxes/parcel thru USPS are not rare around here... have not received 2 boxes in last 12 months... one sent last sept and another sent before christmas... registered USPS with tracking number... from Marin Co. California... shows them leaving SFO then they simply vanish...

maybe it is just as well, x-mas package for 2011 cost daughter 80 bucks (usps) to send, 110 USD to purchase, it arrived after 6 weeks and we got taxed 2000 baht - and the box was never opened! hahahaha... wife went to Sansai PO here and asked them how they could tax it 2k without even opening it!!! Their reply was: we will gladly open it and tax you more!

oopsy... we paid the 2k and left smiling

• 3 weeks later...

Our mystery of lost mail seems to be getting solved. Got a third item today marked as the image below. Also, four items sent by a bank in the USA never had Thailand in the address as the destination country. They finally checked the address after I provided it each of the four times the documents went missing.

The local post office has been very helpful and if anything I have more confidence in the Thai postal system. The employees and postmaster there had a sense of pride in their work that is refreshing.

8474932423_8d3147b55e.jpg

Our mystery of lost mail seems to be getting solved. Got a third item today marked as the image below. Also, four items sent by a bank in the USA never had Thailand in the address as the destination country. They finally checked the address after I provided it each of the four times the documents went missing.

The local post office has been very helpful and if anything I have more confidence in the Thai postal system. The employees and postmaster there had a sense of pride in their work that is refreshing.

8474932423_8d3147b55e.jpg

So many ways to go wrong. So Taipei this time, Taiwan next? I've had difficulties making some realize it is Chiang Mai and not Shanghai. biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

just an update.

My daughter had sent a 3kg box from USA on 12/12/12 and about a week ago, she went to PO in USA and told them it had not arrived and they gave her the money back (almost 80 USD) on postage, but no insurance on value.

Then just today, we got notified by PO here in Sansai that the box was there. We went down, package still sealed, unopened and they proclaimed an import duty of 730 baht. We asked - based on what? All we got was a blank stare.

well, better than last time, when we were taxed 2000 baht on an unopened box and got a threat to open box and tax each item individually.

Just glad to get it! 2.5 months later