British Microlight Instructor Dies Following Air Crash At South Pattaya Pier

Rimmer

British Microlight Instructor dies following air crash at South Pattaya Pier

glider-2.jpg

PATTAYA:--A well-known British Microlight Instructor based in Pattaya died and the British passenger sustained a broken arm as the pair were preparing to scatter ashes of a recently deceased friend when an engine failure occurred and the aircraft plunged into the sea off the coast of Pattaya.

Police and Sea Rescue Units were called to the Bali Hai Port at the south end of Pattaya Beach just after 2.30pm on Saturday to investigate the crash involving a Yellow Microlight belonging to the Nongprue Flying Club based in the eastern outskirts of Pattaya.

The deceased pilot was named as Mr. Tom Grieve aged 57 from England, a 23 year veteran in piloting Microlights who was a well-known and respected instructor based at the Nongprue Flying Club. The injured Passenger was named as Mr. Patrick Esser aged 31 from Scotland who was preparing to scatter the ashes from above, into the sea. Friends were sitting on speedboats waiting to witness the event when the unthinkable happened and the motor on the Microlight failed. The aircraft fell into the water, clipping a newly constructed pier before going under the water.

Many foreign friends of the passenger undertook a rescue and the driver and passenger were rushed to Hospital where Doctors were unable to save Mr. Grieve who is thought to have suffered a major chest trauma. Mr. Esser was treated for a broken left arm.

A witness to the crash was Khun Prichar, Chairman of the Thappraya Community who saw the Microlight circle three times close to the Pattaya City Illuminated Sign on the Pratamnuk Mountain.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/66196/british-microlight-instructor-dies-air-crash-south-pattaya-pier/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-11-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Why so close to the public? It could've hit anyone so easily. Were they trying to land on the pier?? Oy vey.

The report says that the engine failed, although there will be some control the only direction is down. As he appears to be very experienced it is possible he was trying for a 'controlled crash' close to the pier where people to aid in rescue would be available.

If this was his intention, unfortunately, it went wrong and he lost his life. R.I.P.

RIP Tom,

knew him personally, very experienced pilot. Highly motivated in bringing affordable aviation to the general public.

Unlucky accident, as the type of plane he flew (weightshift microlicht) is very safe on unpowered landings due to the low speed and small landing area rquired.

But as with any flying machine (apart from waterplanes of course), forced waterlandings are seldom succesful!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Pilot killed in Plane Crash at Pattaya Port during Memorial service

ml6.jpg

Pattaya: On Saturday late afternoon, Police were notifed of a small microlight aircraft having collided with the pier of a new bridge at Bali Hai during a memorial service, as its occupants scattered the ashes of a friend over the bay

Pattaya police and emergency services raced to the scene, they found local construction workers attempting to rescue two foreigners from the oil stained waters. 57 year old British man, Thomas David Grieve, said to have been the pilot, was reported to have suffered from broken ribs and a punctured lung and his 31 year old passenger, Scotsman Eric Esser a broken arm, as they were rushed to Pattaya Memorial hospital for emergency treatment, The Pilot died later in hospital.

Witenesses stated that the yellow micro lite aircraft had been circling the new construction site several times before, on its third approach, the engine seemed to cut out. The plane itself sunk, but the two men were assisted to the shoreline. They had beenin the process of scattering ashes over the bay as numerous small boats watched in respect of the occasion.

The remains of the microlite were recovered and brought to the shore as police took care to keep the public at a distance, to protect the 4 stroke 100 HP plane for forensic experts to establish the cause of the accident and the British Embassy has been informed.

Full story:http://www.pattaya10...morial-service/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-18

RIP Tom,

knew him personally, very experienced pilot. Highly motivated in bringing affordable aviation to the general public.

Unlucky accident, as the type of plane he flew (weightshift microlicht) is very safe on unpowered landings due to the low speed and small landing area rquired.

But as with any flying machine (apart from waterplanes of course), forced waterlandings are seldom succesful!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

After 15 years of flying hang gliders cross country and almost all with forced landings i claim atleast 95% of them were succesfull...but always i was planning ahead as i progressed, Actually he did the right thing if he could,nt reach land his choice to ditch close to the pier was correct,

I,m guessing his plan was to stall it onto the water surface but one wing stalled before the other.

RIP Tom

Edited by tingtongfarang

Pilot killed in Plane Crash at Pattaya Port during Memorial service

ml6.jpg

Pattaya: On Saturday late afternoon, Police were notifed of a small microlight aircraft having collided with the pier of a new bridge at Bali Hai during a memorial service, as its occupants scattered the ashes of a friend over the bay

Pattaya police and emergency services raced to the scene, they found local construction workers attempting to rescue two foreigners from the oil stained waters. 57 year old British man, Thomas David Grieve, said to have been the pilot, was reported to have suffered from broken ribs and a punctured lung and his 31 year old passenger, Scotsman Eric Esser a broken arm, as they were rushed to Pattaya Memorial hospital for emergency treatment, The Pilot died later in hospital.

Witenesses stated that the yellow micro lite aircraft had been circling the new construction site several times before, on its third approach, the engine seemed to cut out. The plane itself sunk, but the two men were assisted to the shoreline. They had beenin the process of scattering ashes over the bay as numerous small boats watched in respect of the occasion.

The remains of the microlite were recovered and brought to the shore as police took care to keep the public at a distance, to protect the 4 stroke 100 HP plane for forensic experts to establish the cause of the accident and the British Embassy has been informed.

Full story:http://www.pattaya10...morial-service/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-18

Interview with survivor on the drummond site

Really nice write-up on this guy on the AD site.

I really don't know what the issues are between AD and TV (and to be honest I don't care), but both sites are invaluable information sources for expats living and working in Thailand and the region.

• Like 2

After 15 years of flying hang gliders cross country and almost all with forced landings i claim atleast 95% of them were succesfull...but always i was planning ahead as i progressed, Actually he did the right thing if he could,nt reach land his choice to ditch close to the pier was correct,

I,m guessing his plan was to stall it onto the water surface but one wing stalled before the other.

RIP Tom

Reports say he clipped the Pier, the area around the Pier is a cluster of mored boats, that and with the number of boats going in and out of port it would have made sense to ditch a few hundred yards out in clear water, there were lots of boats, including speed boats that were maned that could have been on scene very quickly.

Seems one thing that should be considered following this accident is to make it a mandatory requirement for all pilots & passengers to wear life preservers when conducting a planned flight over water.

Seems one thing that should be considered following this accident is to make it a mandatory requirement for all pilots & passengers to wear life preservers when conducting a planned flight over water.

I would suggest it's a better advert for chest protectors than lifejackets.

Sad to hear, I didn't know the guy but I have a lifetime in the aviation industry so it's always sad to hear of these accidents.

Microlights should be safe enough even when the engine cuts, after-all it' s a hang glider with an engine, so should still have almost full control.

I think he did the right thing in getting close to the shoreline to ditch, but as with all things maybe the wind direction or height etc was against him.

Sounds like he almost got to a safe area but in the final moments clipped the pier which he obviously didn't want to do.

As with all types of aircraft, landings are all "controlled crashes"

My condolences to all concerned.

I am very sad to hear about this loss of life. As an instructor Tom would have been aware of the "gliding distance to land rule". Speculation is never good but luckily there is a survivor to help the investigators. One area they would almost certainly be looking at is the possibility of structural failure, in the absence of which a sudden loss of altitude during a steep turn to get back to the beach. Whatever the actual cause RIP Tom.

As there seem to be a fair few members who have known Tom, below are the details of his funeral for those wishing to attend:

The funeral will be held this Saturday November 24th. Please arrive at 12pm midday.

Here is the address:-

Wat Bunkanchanaram: Directions to the Temple: If you are traveling south on Sukhumvit Road in the direction of Rayong drive straight on through the traffic lights at the junction of Thepprasit Road where there is the Lotus Superstore on the right-hand side. Continue to the next set of traffic lights (you will have passed a Ford Dealership and a Caltex Garage on the left hand side) then turn right at the this next set of traffic lights. This is Soi Watboon. You will be able to see the Temple on the corner of the Soi as it is rather large and the entrance is approximately 50 meters down Soi Watboon on the left-hand side.

Sad news indeed.

RIP Tom,

Not all, helicopters are generally pretty good.

Really nice write-up on this guy on the AD site.

I really don't know what the issues are between AD and TV (and to be honest I don't care), but both sites are invaluable information sources for expats living and working in Thailand and the region.

Not so. One of those mentioned sites provides unbiased views and news.