Non-O. Extending For Education On Final Permission Of Stay.

So my 12 month multi-entry Non-Imm O is expired and I'm on my final 90 Day Permission of Stay.

I plan to get a 12 month 'Extension of Stay' based on Education. Studying full-time in a Uni.

Docs should be sent from Uni soon and I have roughly 40 days left on my final Permission of Stay.

I believe you can only make an Extension of Stay with 30 days or less remaining on your final Permission of Stay, not before. But what about after?

Can you make a 12 month Extension of Stay based on Education with any amount of days left, though obviously less than 30?

For example, do you have to apply say, 15 days before your final Permission of Stay is up, or can you do it right up until the final day?

I plan to go with 30 days left to ensure docs are in order, but if there are issues with them can it take up until the final day to get it done? Or is it subjected to a rule of 'It has to be applied for at least 14 days before Permission of Stay is expired'?

Also, question B.

A friend on the course got a 12 month Multi-Entry Non-Ed visa before arrival in Thailand. He got his 90 day Permission of Stay upon arrival.

However he has convinced himself that he now only has to 'Report' to immigration every 90 days and not leave the country and re-enter to get another 90 days.

To do 90 day reporting at immigration and not 90 day Border-runs (leaving and re-entering the country) you need to have an 'Extension of Stay' first right? You don't "Report

You don't 'Report' at immigration on a multi-entry Ed visa with a 'Permission to Stay' unless you first get an 'Extension of Stay' right?

Which I presume doing takes away the 'multi-entry' part of the visa and if you want to leave the country without losing the 'Extension of stay' you need to apply for a re-entry permit before you can leave and re-enter without losing the 'Extension of Stay'?

Cheers. smile.png

Edited by cbrer

A. Any time during the last 30 days of your current permission to stay. You're doing the right thing to go early, with 30 days left, just in case there should be complications, as you say.

B. Your friend is wrong. The "UNTIL" date on his arrival stamp means exactly what it says, ie he is allowed to stay in Thailand until that day, unless of course he gets and extension of stay not later than that date. Otherwise, he will be on overstay with a fine of 500 Baht per day, maximum 20,000 Baht, if he does not do a border run in time.