Buying A Used Car In Cm

tpthai2

Used car from Dealer or Private? Age, make and model... ?

Thanks for the reply. Just getting ready for the search.

Need a reliable place to check out a vehicle we might find

for a reasonable price prior to purchase.

From your reply I have the feeling you may be knowledgable

in the area. Given a budget of 350K would you have any

suggestions? I would imagine a 5+ year old model.

Auto-trans with a good reliable history for make and model

are the only requirements.

Thanks ...

Keep in mind that a vehicle 7 years + in Thailand is considered old; hence insurance cost is raised and parts are difficult if not impossible to find, etc. The manufacturer will not have the parts and it's difficult to find a dealer that knows much about the car. Of course, I'm sure an independent repair shop can be found who are experts on your car model/brand.

One difficulty I had with a 7-year old Nissan found to be in near perfect condition is that the owners manual did not come with the car and none are available in English through at least 3 dealers I went to nor on the internet. Parts are difficult to find -- I needed a side view mirror because the electric movement in and out was failing and at first the dealer said they were not available and sent me to a few junkyards where they were not found. Then the dealer said they were available at the gigantic cost of I believe 10,000bt and advised I get along with the old one.

And sorry to say the garage/mechanics who looked at my car who were excellent are no longer available, so I can't offer advice in that department.

I have no financial interest in suggesting it, but you should at least look up the place suggested just above. I did use them for purchase (and glad of it), but they offer a number of services as you'll read, including making an inspection I believe. English and Thai spoken.

Keep in mind that a vehicle 7 years + in Thailand is considered old; hence insurance cost is raised and parts are difficult if not impossible to find, etc. The manufacturer will not have the parts and it's difficult to find a dealer that knows much about the car. Of course, I'm sure an independent repair shop can be found who are experts on your car model/brand.

One difficulty I had with a 7-year old Nissan found to be in near perfect condition is that the owners manual did not come with the car and none are available in English through at least 3 dealers I went to nor on the internet. Parts are difficult to find -- I needed a side view mirror because the electric movement in and out was failing and at first the dealer said they were not available and sent me to a few junkyards where they were not found. Then the dealer said they were available at the gigantic cost of I believe 10,000bt and advised I get along with the old one.

And sorry to say the garage/mechanics who looked at my car who were excellent are no longer available, so I can't offer advice in that department.

And yet the garage that fixes my Nissan pickup at 17 years old has no problems with getting parts the same day.

Think it's your garage that is duff, not the access to spare parts.

And yet the garage that fixes my Nissan pickup at 17 years old has no problems with getting parts the same day.

Think it's your garage that is duff, not the access to spare parts.

Japanese parts are easy to get in Thailand. Same day - next day - no problem. It's other cars like German cars that are the problem. There can be long delays and import duties to be paid on the parts.