International Fireworks Festival Blasts Off Nov. 30-Dec. 1

Rimmer

International Fireworks Festival blasts off Nov. 30-Dec. 1

PATTAYA:--This year’s Pattaya International Fireworks Festival will light up the sky Nov. 30-Dec. 1.

Down from 10 foreign participants in previous years, this year’s festival will feature 45-minute shows by teams from Canada, China, Singapore and the United States. Four Thai celebrities were named at the Nov. 16 announcement in Bangkok to serve as honorary team captains.

Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome said the event also would feature booths selling locally made products, a carnival-style parade, shows and concerts.

Full story:--http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/international-fireworks-festival-blasts-off-nov-30-dec-1-18552

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2012-11-23 footer_n.gif

Are those dates in the headline correct...the signs I have seen around town state Nov. 29 and 30th?

The many big signs I saw state Nov 30 & Dec 1 :

264.jpg

I could swear the one I saw at the Pattaya Central and Sukhumvit intersection said 29 and 30...but as this and the paper reports it as the 30th and 1st, I'll go with those dates (rather than my bad eyes).

We planned to visit Pattaya this weekend to meet up with friends visiting from the UK.

This might explain why hotel prices seem so high, Hilton 13,600 Baht, Holiday Inn sold out, with others asking a lot more than I would normally expect to pay, or is this becoming the norm?

We planned to visit Pattaya this weekend to meet up with friends visiting from the UK.

This might explain why hotel prices seem so high, Hilton 13,600 Baht, Holiday Inn sold out, with others asking a lot more than I would normally expect to pay, or is this becoming the norm?

You name 2 hotels which offer a 1st class view on the fire-works; next weekend the King Hilton Deluxe will go for THB 7,900 per night. (agoda)

Apart from that, high-season is coming up, so that will increase the room-rates.

When I looked on Agoda yesterday, the Hilton wasn't available, nor was it a couple of minutes ago, the Hilton website was asking 13,600.

Anyway we booked a hotel just off the Beach Road that has a roof top with a view of the beach for 4,800 for two nights, we should get a decent view from there..

I do agree that the approaching high season is coming up, but maybe it's because I left a little late.

Try the Holiday Inn website;

...strange....I did paste a picture there.....but anyway they got all kinds of rooms and rates for this coming weekend.

Edited by Upnotover

I do hope this event will live up to previous years.

I notice though, previously it was a Fireworks Competition, with I think 8 or 9 countries taking part.

It seems to be billed this year as a Fireworks Festival with 4 countries taking part.

Hopefully not just a shadow of the similarly named past events, designed to cash in on the reputation of the real thing?

Also Lot Krathong holiday this week...I'll just watch for free from my Markland condo balcony :-)

this year’s festival will feature 45-minute shows by teams from Canada, China, Singapore and the United States.

there is no way each show will last 45 mins right? I can't possibly imagine a fireworks show going on for 45 mins. Maybe the total length all all shows on both days will be 45 mins?

Also, I see in the story they say the smaller show on the 1st will start at 9pm. Anyone know what time the big show on the first day starts?

Edited by Jayman

I notice though, previously it was a Fireworks Competition, with I think 8 or 9 countries taking part.

It seems to be billed this year as a Fireworks Festival with 4 countries taking part.

Hopefully not just a shadow of the similarly named past events, designed to cash in on the reputation of the real thing?

How can it match previous years with less than half the countries participating?

How can it match previous years with less than half the countries participating?

Maybe each participating country has double the amount of fireworks. biggrin.png