Koh Sumiu Music Festival 2006

netta

we were in koh samui for the 2005 music festival and went a few nights,it was great not to many people turned up but the music was good.we have just booked our holidays for this year and hope the music festival is on again,does any one know?we will be in koh samui on september 25 for 10 days.[

My guess is they will have another festival, but it will be more like the year before...low key, touring various bars in Chaweng/Bophut. They lost bucket loads of cash last year (hardly suprising considering the initial price of tickets and low numbers), knowing the Coco's boys, i doubt they will want to loose more cash this year. You know Coco's - cash is king!

Just read this on the website;

"Last year KSMF 2004 attracted tens of thousands of visitors to the island."

No it bloody didnt!

"This year (2005) over 100,000 visitors are expected to join the party."

HA HA! Yeh right! Did they even manage ten thousand? They did, however, have 100,000 felang residents atend as security guards!

Edited by BattyBatty

we were in koh samui for the 2005 music festival and went a few nights,it was great not to many people turned up but the music was good.we have just booked our holidays for this year and hope the music festival is on again,does any one know?we will be in koh samui on september 25 for 10 days.[

There is every intention of holding a Music Festival again this year and provisionally the dates are 29th September to 8th October.

Further details are not available at this time.

Once details are confirmed we will post them here.

There is every intention of holding a Music Festival again this year and provisionally the dates are 29th September to 8th October.

Great, i will be going again. :D

PS, (I have a great blues band that would look good on your stage :o:D )

Its still going on, and will be bigger with bigger names than last year. Hopefully it will be better promoted as well. They do have some people who are a little more on the ball than they had last year ....

I'm working down there now - incidentally - we are doing a Rocky Horror Picture Show every monday, btw - so come and watch us make utter fools of ourselves! :o

My guess is they will have another festival, but it will be more like the year before...low key, touring various bars in Chaweng/Bophut. They lost bucket loads of cash last year (hardly suprising considering the initial price of tickets and low numbers), knowing the Coco's boys, i doubt they will want to loose more cash this year. You know Coco's - cash is king!

Just read this on the website;

"Last year KSMF 2004 attracted tens of thousands of visitors to the island."

No it bloody didnt!

"This year (2005) over 100,000 visitors are expected to join the party."

HA HA! Yeh right! Did they even manage ten thousand? They did, however, have 100,000 felang residents atend as security guards!

Yeah it was only the last 2 or 3 nights that anyone went, I think for UB40, why I don't know...but reports said they were very good

The rest of the festival was disastrous as they had to half the prices one night and on another they allowed free entry. I mean who wants to see Canned Heat for god sake? The kids in Chaweng on holiday wouldn't mind seeing some modern day Bands and like Kasabian or the Coral or some Hip hop acts. 90% of the bands last year were geriatric outfits or bands no one had heard of.

Lets hope they put together a festival this year which caters for the youngsters as well. I would pay 1200 Baht to go see a popular modern act but it's way too much to watch the other stuff they put on last year. Anyone over there in touch with todays music?

My sentiments exactly. UB40 are of course a good band worth seeing, but it's a sad state of afairs when the coco's group shout and rant about Jerry Lee Lewis as a big attraction. Yes, he's big and in his time was pretty ###### cool - but that was 50 years ago.

Further more (and this is not a personal dig at Coco's), but dont you think they are up there own <deleted> with the whole blues thing? The venue they have on beach road serves a purpose and hits the right demographic of 40+ holiday makers camping out at Amari et al....hey if you want to go and see that kinda thing, fairplay.... but many people under this age group cant be arsed to watch cheesy forty somethings literaly 'rocking and rolling' with daft grins on there faces, and lead singers jumping around the crownd taking crap, and bigging it up for the camera. They applied this same thinking to the festival, in my opinion. Cheesy, crappy blues music (only my opinion! Nothing against people who like blues!) Alan Whatshisname from Cocos told the BKK post that this festival would not just be blues... but from what i could muster, it was nearly all blues, wasnt it?

So i agree.... target the main demographic on the Island which i guess would be 18-35 year old fun seekers, with more modern music, and it could work. Just go easy on the blues..... MOSt of the people i know think the whole Coco's/blues thing is downright cheesy.

<deleted>?

"in his time was pretty ###### cool"

The word D A M N is out of order on this forum?

My sentiments exactly. UB40 are of course a good band worth seeing, but it's a sad state of afairs when the coco's group shout and rant about Jerry Lee Lewis as a big attraction. Yes, he's big and in his time was pretty ###### cool - but that was 50 years ago.

Further more (and this is not a personal dig at Coco's), but dont you think they are up there own <deleted> with the whole blues thing? The venue they have on beach road serves a purpose and hits the right demographic of 40+ holiday makers camping out at Amari et al....hey if you want to go and see that kinda thing, fairplay.... but many people under this age group cant be arsed to watch cheesy forty somethings literaly 'rocking and rolling' with daft grins on there faces, and lead singers jumping around the crownd taking crap, and bigging it up for the camera. They applied this same thinking to the festival, in my opinion. Cheesy, crappy blues music (only my opinion! Nothing against people who like blues!) Alan Whatshisname from Cocos told the BKK post that this festival would not just be blues... but from what i could muster, it was nearly all blues, wasnt it?

So i agree.... target the main demographic on the Island which i guess would be 18-35 year old fun seekers, with more modern music, and it could work. Just go easy on the blues..... MOSt of the people i know think the whole Coco's/blues thing is downright cheesy.

<deleted>?

I agree 100%, but I don't know about that word !!!

I thought it was supposed to be a Blues Festival originally, i liked last years line up.

Coco Blues is also a nice venue IMO. :o

Yeah, it was a blues festival in 2004, and it was good as it was accessible to many due to the different venues. However in 2005 it was called "music festival".

Coco is a nice spot but a little too dear to go too often, at least for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back from Samui(Bophut) and stayed there for 2 months and made lots of Thai friends.

The reason they told me not many people were there was because of the huge entrance fee they were asking.

All our friends are on a wage of 8000 bath a month. It is impossible for them to pay 1000 bath just to go and see a music festival.

Should a festival in Samui not be geared towards Thai people aswell and not just the tourist!!!

Hopefully they can get it right this time and think about the Thais and not just how much profit they can make!

Just came back from Samui(Bophut) and stayed there for 2 months and made lots of Thai friends.

The reason they told me not many people were there was because of the huge entrance fee they were asking.

All our friends are on a wage of 8000 bath a month. It is impossible for them to pay 1000 bath just to go and see a music festival.

Should a festival in Samui not be geared towards Thai people aswell and not just the tourist!!!

Hopefully they can get it right this time and think about the Thais and not just how much profit they can make!

1000 baht? gees , they need to do a reality check, double that money and i can go and see a U2 concert in my country.

And yeah Coco Blues sucks :o:D

Edited by KhunMarco

1000 baht? gees , they need to do a reality check, double that money and i can go and see a U2 concert in my country.

If it sucks don't go there - easy solution.

Over 700 people, many Thais, went there last Saturday to see Sek Loso so some people do not agree with you. It was full last night as well.

If it offends you stay away and let the people who do enjoy it do so.

Over 700 people, many Thais, went there last Saturday to see Sek Loso so some people do not agree with you. It was full last night as well.

well said, some people just love a moan

Indeed I don't go there anymore! Easy solution

It doesn't offend me at all, but I'm still entitled to express my opinion right?

Hehe I can Immagine lot of Thais at 1000 bahts..sure...

If my opinion offends you , just stay away from it and let people express their opinion.

It's called freedom of speech by the way and I'm not the only one who thinks Coco Blues sucks, but who's counting right?

Indeed I don't go there anymore! Easy solution

It doesn't offend me at all, but I'm still entitled to express my opinion right?

Hehe I can Immagine lot of Thais at 1000 bahts..sure...

If my opinion offends you , just stay away from it and let people express their opinion.

It's called freedom of speech by the way and I'm not the only one who thinks Coco Blues sucks, but who's counting right?

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion as I am in response to your comments and no one is denying your right to freedom of speech but I am equally entitled to disagree with what you say.

Where did the 1000 Baht come from?

The entrance was 500 Baht and over half the audience were Thai.

Honest criticism and opinion is fine and creates a healthy debate - but please get your facts right.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion as I am in response to your comments and no one is denying your right to freedom of speech but I am equally entitled to disagree with what you say.

Honest criticism and opinion is fine and creates a healthy debate - but please get your facts right.

Ok sorry usually I don't like to start a flaming post, it seemed you wanted to tell me "shut the **** up" by the tone of your post.

500 is much better, if you read my post I said 1000 baht is a lot for Thailand and that's what the previous poster quoted as the price.

Don't you agree 1000 baht is a lot for the average Thai guy ?

I personally enjoy to attend events with lots of Thais rather than "only farang price events", but that's just me.

But what you really took personally seems to be my opinion about Coco, well did you notice the smiley icon? It was not intended to offend anyone. Glad you have fun and enjoy the place.

Sorry I'll try to be clearer next time, my sense of humor and my lack of proper English is a bit confusing at times.

Edited by KhunMarco

Ok sorry usually I don't like to start a flaming post, it seemed you wanted to tell me "shut the **** up" by the tone of your post.

500 is much better, if you read my post I said 1000 baht is a lot for Thailand and that's what the previous poster quoted as the price.

Don't you agree 1000 baht is a lot for the average Thai guy ?

I personally enjoy to attend events with lots of Thais rather than "only farang price events", but that's just me.

But what you really took personally seems to be my opinion about Coco, well did you notice the smiley icon? It was not intended to offend anyone. Glad you have fun and enjoy the place.

Sorry I'll try to be clearer next time, my sense of humor and my lack of proper English is a bit confusing at times.

No offence taken Marco, but simply to state that a place "sucks" without giving reasons that you personally do not like it helps no one.

As I said, healthy debate is useful and gives a better understanding of what people want. The Blues Bar is evolving and over the last year has had a variety of different styles of music - certainly mainly stemming from the Blues and Jazz scenes but the Columbian Band that have just left were a completely different genre and enjoyed by many. Nowhere else can you find this on the island. If I go to Green Mango Disco or the Reggae Pub I have to say that the music there is not to my taste either, but I accept that other people enjoy it and that is fine. For the same reason I went once to a Full Moon Party at Lake View to see what it was like - the Music drove me away very quickly, but I never criticised it because it was not to my taste.

Coco Blues cannot satisfy everyone's tastes, but it fills a gap in the market which attracts a lot of people - packed again last night. Accept it for what it is and if you have a genuine criticism lets discuss that.

Edited by SamuiRes

• 5 months later...

I guess I know the answer (NO), but anyone know if Coco is in fact holding the Blues Festival? Their website still has 2005 info.

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to see Loso but balked at the price, 1200 for less than 1 hour of music! you can see pretty decent Thai bands in Samui like Clash, Hyper and Punch for 200-300 baht.

i wanted to see Loso but balked at the price, 1200 for less than 1 hour of music! you can see pretty decent Thai bands in Samui like Clash, Hyper and Punch for 200-300 baht.

Fah Thai (PG's in-flight mag) is advertising for this year's music festival........let's see :o

<deleted>?

I agree 100%, but I don't know about that word !!!

Just saw (in Copenhagen) a black dude that was 71 name of Lazy Lester, and man could that dude & band rock the house with his "southern Blues". So don't count out the "old cats" they get better with age.