How Do You Survive In Chiang Mai?

tropico

Hi to all,

I am living in Chiang mai for about 2 years now and I had some pretty good jobs but unfortunately the first one somehow closed down because they run out of funding and the second one was just a consultancy for the UN and it lasted only 4 months. I am without a job now and it is not a nice situation with all the bills to pay. I would like to live here but I am not sure I can figure something out to get enough money! (by enough money means at least 100,000). I just wanted to know what other people do here in CM!

Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be 100,000/month

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif you are disillusional

Not really, just someone used to UN and other NGO inflated rates and thinks the real world operates on the same lines.

The real world is this one if you have a master degree and experience in your line of work. 100,000/month is actually a downgrade.

So I am not dreaming here, the problem is that sometimes it is easy to find work and sometimes is not. So since I need a more stable life I am thinking of doing something on my own.

"i have been seeing some signs for an english speaking wait staff downtown. if you have a work permit you could apply for these"

You get the work permit for a specific job. You don't get a work permit and then go looking for work. Besides, you wouldn't get a work permit for being a waiter.

I think the OP will have to turn to the internet:

http://inmyhomeoffice.com/yaro-starak-interviews-ian-mcconnell-about-his-300000-online-business-success

Why does it cost you 100,000 to live here ?

I have a masters degree and Yes maybe in BKK I could get work for 100K but I don't want to live anywhere near there.

I and my family live very well on just a fraction of what you think you need a month. Do you really need to live in that top 1%

• Like 1

I have a masters degree and Yes maybe in BKK I could get work for 100K but I don't want to live anywhere near there.

I and my family live very well on just a fraction of what you think you need a month. Do you really need to live in that top 1%

It does not cost me 100,000 to live in Chiang Mai but house rental, food, schooling for my daughter etc, amounts for about 50,000/month.

I'd like to save money for a later stage of my life and possibly buy a modest house.

It does not cost me 100,000 to live in Chiang Mai but house rental, food, schooling for my daughter etc, amounts for about 50,000/month.

I'd like to save money for a later stage of my life and possibly buy a modest house.

Tropico,

Over an extended time period you won't consistently make 100k THB a month in Chiang Mai as a local hire.

You could make this much working for yourself, if you choose to work for yourself there seem to be two avenues available to you.

1. Income derived locally in Chiang Mai.

In my opinion you will have do some research & make a substantial capital investment (10 Million THB +).

If your business has a low capital entry barrier, if you are successful your business model will be copied by locals who are happy earning a tenth of your target income.

2. Income derived globally.

Set up an Internet based business, you could make your target income and a lot more.

Just remember that there are millions of other people out there who would love to live in paradise, making an income from the internet.

Personally I think your best chance to make the money you are looking for with your experience & qualifications is to go back to farang land for a couple of years.

Do a teacher training course in your home country, work as a teacher for a bit & start applying for teaching jobs in Chiang Mai International schools as an expat.

Tropico,

Over an extended time period you won't consistently make 100k THB a month in Chiang Mai as a local hire.

You could make this much working for yourself, if you choose to work for yourself there seem to be two avenues available to you.

1. Income derived locally in Chiang Mai.

In my opinion you will have do some research & make a substantial capital investment (10 Million THB +).

If your business has a low capital entry barrier, if you are successful your business model will be copied by locals who are happy earning a tenth of your target income.

2. Income derived globally.

Set up an Internet based business, you could make your target income and a lot more.

Just remember that there are millions of other people out there who would love to live in paradise, making an income from the internet.

Personally I think your best chance to make the money you are looking for with your experience & qualifications is to go back to farang land for a couple of years.

Do a teacher training course in your home country, work as a teacher for a bit & start applying for teaching jobs in Chiang Mai International schools as an expat.

I realize that a lot of what comes out of the governments mouth is meaningless.

But I do recall them saying that they were going to start cracking down on people using the internet to make money.

I would take that to mean more tax money for them. A new purse to pick.

I agree that you likely won't earn 100k baht a month at a job in Chiang Mai unless you are quite lucky. Making that a reality in Bangkok is a lot more realistic - probably even a much better job (I mean 3k USD a month is crap when you compare that to what you can earn back home).

I disagree that you have to invest 10M baht to have a successful business. But in order to succeed in any business you have to have the right mind for it. If you can't succeed at a business back home then I'd say you are even more likely to fail out here (maybe less likely to go broke, but also less likely to actually make money and you failed unless you do that IMO). Are you a business man? If you aren't then don't bother - many people are not.

Finally I agree that earning 3k USD a month on the internet is definitely a realistic goal. You've got to be very *clever* to make this work, though.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

i was expecting the cheap charlies union but what a misleading title angry.png 100k per month isnt surviving at all. there are probably very few expatriate package that are based here compared to bkk, so chances are not the best

i mainly get by from cash & stock dividends as well as some forex

Some questions for our, tropico:

How old are you?

What sort of visa do you hold in Thailand?

Are you married to the mother of your child and is your daughter and her mother, Thai?

What is your line of work, what qualifications do you have and where did you obtain them?

Can you speak, or read and write Thai?

Sorry, but without having knowledge of these details, it is impossible to give advice and point you in the right direction.

100000 baht per month sounds like you have very high expectations, although it maybe probable according to your situation and your response to my questions above.

i was expecting the cheap charlies union but what a misleading title angry.png 100k per month isnt surviving at all. there are probably very few expatriate package that are based here compared to bkk, so chances are not the best

i mainly get by from cash & stock dividends as well as some forex

When u say "100k per month isn't surviving", do you mean not enough to survive?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

If you're in the education field, check out prem. What is your master's degree in? What were you doing for work beforehand?

I have a Master in Natural Resources Management and have been working in forest conservation for the last 7 years. I have managed project for reforestation of degraded areas around Chiang mai.