Yingluck Touts Her Achievements

webfact

CENSURE DEBATE

Yingluck touts her achievements

Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

30195066-01_big.jpg

Premier shows improved oratory skills, confidently defending rice scheme and flood projects

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday turned the censure debate designed to scrutinise her into a platform to declare the government's achievements.

It was the first time that she had been targeted in a censure debate since she took the premier's post last August.

Yingluck has been criticised by the Democrats for rarely attending parliamentary meetings and avoiding answering questions posed to her by MPs. However, Yingluck has attended the current censure debate since Sunday, and yesterday seemed to have improved as an orator compared to previous performances.

She spoke fluently and was equipped with charts and statistics to back up her statements. A few times, Yingluck paused to find the notes for what she was going to say, and a few times she went back over topics she had raised before.

Nevertheless, when Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva focused his attack on the government's rice-pledging policy - Yingluck is the chairperson of the National Rice Policy Committee - she spent about seven minutes of her 45-minute reply clarifying the policy.

Abhisit said the government's rice-pledging policy would destroy the market mechanism, damage Thailand's competitiveness as a rice exporter and cause the government to lose a lot of money in subsidising the project. He said it contained loopholes for corruption at every step of the process, allowing rice-mill owners and middle-man traders to reap a large share of the benefits of the subsidies, which are supposed to help farmers.

Abhisit also accused Yingluck of allowing political interference in the military reshuffle despite a complaint being filed - a Democrat MP scrutinised the Defence Ministry's actions regarding this issue on Sunday - and allowing corruption despite her declaration to eradicate all graft. Moreover, unless she is prepared to take charge herself, she should have assigned a deputy to oversee the problems of the restive South, Abhisit said.

Yingluck, meanwhile, took the chance to promote what she had done as prime minister, including solving flood problems, and visiting 23 foreign countries to promote investment and confidence in Thailand, as well as its role in the global community.

"The number of tourists [in Thailand] has increased from 19.2 million in 2011 to 20.8 million, even though we faced flood problems. We joined hands in expediting rehabilitation and creating confidence among foreigners," she said.

Abhisit said the government's policy was actually a rice-buying - not a rice-pledging - policy, because the government buys the rice at a higher price than in the market, and no farmer would buy back the pledged rice. In response, Yingluck said her policy was only an option for farmers, who were free to find a better market to sell their crop to.

The government had allocated Bt410 billion for the scheme, which would ensure rice-price stability, she said.

The price of rice paddy had increased by 8 per cent in general, she said. The specific prices depend on the moisture content. "And as I said, the budget set for the [crop]-pledging scheme in a year would include the budget for cassava and rubber too, in the Bt410 billion. As of today, Bt359 billion has been spent," she said.

She added that the income from the scheme would gradually come in and that at the end of 2013, the government expected Bt240 billion-Bt260 billion in income.

Use of information technology, the recording of every step of the rice-pledging process and silo construction projects in the future would help prevent corruption, she said.

According to polls, most people are happy with the rice-pledging scheme, she said. Regarding Thailand's competitiveness, a report from January to October showed Thailand ranked third in world exports, after Vietnam and India. But looking at average prices, Thai rice was sold at US$679 per tonne, compared with US$445 for Vietnam. The rice export value was US$3.897 billion (Bt120 billion).

"As a Thai, I prefer seeing the [big] sum of money to the [volume in] tonnes," she said.

On anti-corruption policies, Yingluck said she did not ignore a proposal by the National Anti-Corruption Commission to update regulations, as alleged by Abhisit, but said it was an ongoing process and there were legal issues to work on.

Yingluck also rebutted Abhisit's accusation that she had allowed corruption in the flood-relief schemes, saying they were transparent and the spending could be traced at http://www.pmocflood.com.

Earlier, Yingluck started by saying that many problems were waiting for her when she took office as the country's development had been disrupted over the preceding six or seven years. Political rifts and interrupted administrations caused investors to lose confidence. Her aim when taking the post was to move the country forward and restore unity, justice and the rule of law in a democratic system, the premier said.

She also said her Cabinet works as a team. Her role is to orchestrate by giving policies, she said.

"I work restlessly. I work seven days [a week]. I insist that I have determination in working and I respect both the legislative branch and the parliamentary system," she said after saying she had assigned ministers to clarify questions from MPs.

At the end of her statement, Yingluck told the meeting chairman that she would let ministers handle further clarifications in the censure debate.

Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University law lecturer Komsan Pokong said Yingluck was not the only one to avoid answering scrutiny. Deputy Interior Minister Chatt Kuldiloke did too, he said.

In Komsan's opinion, the government replied only to those questions it wanted to address and ignored other points. It didn't give this debate much prominence, as it was certain it would get the required majority of votes in the House.

Nantana Nantawaropas, dean of Krirk University's Political Communication College, said Yingluck answered the questions well to some extent, and had improved her political communication.

She said Yingluck did not have to answer all the questions, and might let others do the job. But in case the government could not clear up the doubts, the image of her leadership would be affected, Nantana said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 27

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Totally detached from reality.

Abhisit?

Sorry but it's hard to tell from your in depth post about the issues raised.

Without any other rhetoric you post could have been aimed at anyone mentioned in the article.

Maybe you could expand on why you think this, maybe even without pathetic blow job references that others have used

• Like 1

Touts her achievements harkens back to her roster of urgent goals, after being placed in office

Urgent Policies to be Implemented in the First Year

1 Foster reconciliation and harmony among people in the nation

2 Prevention of and define solutions to drug problems

3 Earnestly prevent and fight against corruption in the public sector

4 Promote integrated water management

5 Expeditiously return peace and security to people’s life and property in the Southern Border Provinces

6 Expeditiously restore relations and develop cooperation with neighboring countries and other foreign countries

7 Alleviate difficulties of people and entrepreneurs as a result of inflationary pressure and high oil prices

there's more @

http://www.thailandtoday.org/node/509

tout away

Totally detached from reality.

Abhisit?

Sorry but it's hard to tell from your in depth post about the issues raised.

Without any other rhetoric you post could have been aimed at anyone mentioned in the article.

Maybe you could expand on why you think this, maybe even without pathetic blow job references that others have used

What achievements? I must admit I am at a loss of how to expand on it so maybe another example is best? I guess.

You 'member' play a game or sport and lose but nevertheless claim you have won. It's has already be shown both inside and outside of Thailand that you have lost the game or sport but you just refuse to accept defeat. What can I say other than you are totally detatched from reality?

Please note that this was just an example and in no way attacks member 'carra' on a person level.

Edited by Rooo
Discussion of Moderation.action deleted.

What achievements? I must admit I am at a loss of how to expand on it so maybe another example is best? I guess.

You 'member' play a game or sport and lose but nevertheless claim you have won. It's has already be shown both inside and outside of Thailand that you have lost the game or sport but you just refuse to accept defeat. What can I say other than you are totally detatched from reality?

Please note that this was just an example and in no way attacks member 'carra' on a person level.

It is normal in politics, it is simply propaganda.

A government is tasked with doing things, they make a decision on how to do it so to them their decision is right and they can twist it that way, the opposition can twist it their way then the electorate is left to decide who they believe in the long term.

Don't worry, I did not see it as a personal attack and cant see what you reference as could be construed a personal attack wai.gif

I had to edit as was posting too many quotes

Edited by Rooo
Discussion of moderation action in quote deleted.

According to polls, most people are happy with the rice-pledging scheme, she said. Regarding Thailand's competitiveness, a report from January to October showed Thailand ranked third in world exports, after Vietnam and India. But looking at average prices, Thai rice was sold at US$679 per tonne, compared with US$445 for Vietnam. The rice export value was US$3.897 billion (Bt120 billion).

"As a Thai, I prefer seeing the [big] sum of money to the [volume in] tonnes," she said.

We sell much less but at higher prices. The rice export value is stated without reference to previous years. Also the government spent THB 359 billion from 410 till today and expects THB 240 - 260 billion in return by 2013? What about the TWO TIMES 400 billion in price pledging? One time in fiscal 2012, one time in fiscal 2013?

BTW one achievement seems missing. The most well traveled PM Thailand ever had :-)

We sell much less but at higher prices. The rice export value is stated without reference to previous years. Also the government spent THB 359 billion from 410 till today and expects THB 240 - 260 billion in return by 2013? What about the TWO TIMES 400 billion in price pledging? One time in fiscal 2012, one time in fiscal 2013?

BTW one achievement seems missing. The most well traveled PM Thailand ever had :-)

isn't that the accepted Thai way, we have less tourists so we put up the price for rooms. Sell less for more money.

Also what is wrong with putting prices up, prices go up, that's inflation. What is wrong in making money? What is wrong with a PM saying she wants to see more money coming into the country. I would be happy to sell you one item for 100 baht rather than 2 items for 100 baht.

Also so what if she has traveled a lot, promoting Thailand overseas is a good thing to do. No doubt if she traveled nowhere you would be up in arms about that also.

• Like 1

Also they are asking for an additional 70 billion baht. for the rice scam.

She sure knows how to travel and does like to shop a lot thats for sure ...

Well, one day, when you are as successful in business as she has been you too will have the money to purchase consumer items. If you are trying to claim that the PM used her foreign visits as shopping junkets, you are mistaken. Her time was taken up with official events and meetings. She had little time off on those visits that buttressed the flow of investments into Thailand, the promotion of tourism and the sale of Thai products.

isn't that the accepted Thai way, we have less tourists so we put up the price for rooms. Sell less for more money.

Also what is wrong with putting prices up, prices go up, that's inflation. What is wrong in making money? What is wrong with a PM saying she wants to see more money coming into the country. I would be happy to sell you one item for 100 baht rather than 2 items for 100 baht.

Also so what if she has traveled a lot, promoting Thailand overseas is a good thing to do. No doubt if she traveled nowhere you would be up in arms about that also.

Selling your items for double the price is fine if you are the only seller, otherwise you end up with a lot of surplus. Oh wait, it's already happening!

And I think its amazing that Yingluk has increased her parliamentary attendance by 400% in the last week. I can guarantee you that very few world leaders have ever done that.

• Like 1

'the accepted Thai way' seems a good justification. 'sell 1 instead of 2 for same price' makes you happy.

Well the THB 120 billion in rice export value (this year I assume) is not really in the same order as the THB 195 billion in 2011

http://www.thairicee...istic_2011.html

As for the travelling, recent trip to the UK had members of her entourage struggling to explain things to UK rice importers

http://www.thaivisa....shun-thai-rice/

Edited by rubl

But in case the government could not clear up the doubts, the image of her leadership would be affected

The image of her leadership has been quite clear since being described as a clone by a previous DNA-sharing PM.

Meanwhile she retains the confidence of the electorate and her government is functioning. Considering the previous disarray associated with the Abhisit regime and the military junta's performance, she's doing a decent job. If she went to the polls today, she'd come back with an increased majority.

• Like 2

But in case the government could not clear up the doubts, the image of her leadership would be affected

The image of her leadership has been quite clear since being described as a clone by a previous DNA-sharing PM.

Meanwhile she retains the confidence of the electorate and her government is functioning. Considering the previous disarray associated with the Abhisit regime and the military junta's performance, she's doing a decent job. If she went to the polls today, she'd come back with an increased majority.

The exact opposite is true in my hypothetical.

She declared her flood policy a success with 900 dead. Ok, it's a simple translation issue. Success means miserable failure causing death and destruction. Ok. I get it now. Rice policy is a Success!

Ahh, so you are blaming the PM for the deaths associated with the flooding crisis. Okie dokie. So who do you blame for the deaths in the Sandy debacle that destroyed the coastal communities in New Jersey and New York? Who do you blame for yesterday's fatalities in the UK flooding ?

• Like 1

Selling your items for double the price is fine if you are the only seller, otherwise you end up with a lot of surplus. Oh wait, it's already happening!

And I think its amazing that Yingluk has increased her parliamentary attendance by 400% in the last week. I can guarantee you that very few world leaders have ever done that.

as i say, that's they Thai way, bump the price up until people go elsewhere, not saying its right but I am sure they are aware of this.

As for her parliament attendance, not sure if there is a law or regulation that requires a certain amount of attendance or not but again I am sure she is aware of this. Also while she is not at parliament I am sure she is working and not just having free time, i could understand the concern then about her parliament attendance but as she is using the time well then no real need to complain I would have thought. But then again I guess this depends on which side of the fence one sits on.

She declared her flood policy a success with 900 dead. Ok, it's a simple translation issue. Success means miserable failure causing death and destruction. Ok. I get it now. Rice policy is a Success!

Ahh, so you are blaming the PM for the deaths associated with the flooding crisis. Okie dokie. So who do you blame for the deaths in the Sandy debacle that destroyed the coastal communities in New Jersey and New York? Who do you blame for yesterday's fatalities in the UK flooding ?

Yes, do you not remember the minister stating he was told not to release the water by her administration? Did you forget about the poor people who died while she trumpeted her success in her Burberries?
  • Like 2