Experience With 3Bb In Chiang Mai.

gennisis

I have been using Cat CDMA for 3 years with no problems,but with the news of its expected demise,after many people here who have been giving good reports of 3Bb I decided to switch over to them. My neighbour gives it a good recomendation as well.

'So last week I went to their shop at airport plaza where for 11,000 baht they said they would install,I guessed that was for a 12 month service.They said I could not pay monthly.

Today at Siam plaza,went to the 3Bb desk,signed up for their service and wi fi router,was asked to pay 2000 baht and they promise installation on thursday.

This is Thailand !!!!!

Hi Gennisis, Please report back with the results when you get

it installed, as I am also in Chiang Mai and i am really fed up

with the TOT service !!, and I am looking for something better.

regards Worgeordie

I can't compare with any other service but we signed with 3BB, chose the free 1 port router and pay monthly 590Baht. They installed it within a few days even though we had no landline and the service has worked fine since then. I swapped the router later with my own UK wifi router and again had no problems other than the normal power outages we get in our village. Been using it for nearly 12 months now with no complaints.

PS was also using 3BB a couple of years before that when were living in an apartment complex.

PPS forgot to mention that I'm also in Chiang Mai.

Edited by sysardman

regards Worgeordie

OK Will DO.

I signed for the 10 MB service at 10 MB at 590 baht/month.Frankly I am not concerned with the speed as long as it is constant and reliable

The CDMA was 3MB at 840 baht/month so in theory even if the speed isnt what they say....I am 399 baht better off.....10 cans of beer !!!

Edited by gennisis

Last time I checked, 3BB Chiang Mai was no better than others. Don't get your hopes up!

Besides, I do remember 3BB was heavily throttling usenet (even with SSL) after downloading a few gigs.

Until they deploy new fiber links from CM to Bangkok, your internet slowness won't be fixed ever.

what speed did you sign up for and what are you getting using which speed meter as yard stick, against which city, abroad?

I am on TOT; 7mb line very stable at 5+, but still tempted to switch

It was 6MB when I signed but they upgraded it after a few months to 10MB (no charge). It will show this on most speed guides but I do notice when I stream Youtube videos etc that there are times when there are pauses. I think that that is a problem in general with the internet and overseas servers and I don't think that's actually to blame on 3BB. If anybody knows different and knows how to get great speeds all the time I would be interested to know.

I am supposed to be on the 10Mbs rate,I am sure these numbers

they offer us mean nothing,

I like to stream movies,series, daytime its ok, works great and can

see much better stuff than they show on True, like 2012 movies

latest series not 10 year old stuff , anyway at around 5.30 it is

nearly impossible to do anything on the computer, loads pages

at around 12-80 Bytes !! yes bytes, worse than dial up.but I

must say for last couple of days its been better,and can stream

the movies, maybe because TOT have opened a new line ? not

sure what its called to Europe.

Regards Worgeordie

No matter what you get in Chiang Mai, you are limited by Chiang Mai - Bangkok domestic internet connection, which is oversaturated by Farangs! Thai's never planned for this, and I'm sure they are not planning to deploy new internet cables to Bangkok. On the other hand, I can use full speed TOT in Buriram and full speed True docsis in Bangkok.

what speed did you sign up for and what are you getting using which speed meter as yard stick, against which city, abroad?

It was 6MB when I signed but they upgraded it after a few months to 10MB (no charge). It will show this on most speed guides but I do notice when I stream Youtube videos etc that there are times when there are pauses. I think that that is a problem in general with the internet and overseas servers and I don't think that's actually to blame on 3BB. If anybody knows different and knows how to get great speeds all the time I would be interested to know.

If you use a download manager you can download the clips to your hard drive rather than stream them. Using this method I can download a hundred hours of youtube videos in 1 hour. Then watch them at your leisure.

• Like 1

If you use a download manager you can download the clips to your hard drive rather than stream them. Using this method I can download a hundred hours of youtube videos in 1 hour. Then watch them at your leisure.

Hey Dork, can you list the necessary steps to do this kind of download? Are these downloaded to USB Hard drives connected to our wireless routers?

Hey Dork, can you list the necessary steps to do this kind of download? Are these downloaded to USB Hard drives connected to our wireless routers?

There are several Firefox plugins that can do this. Example Download Flash and Video or Video DownloadHelper. I personally use RealPlayer which works very well for YouTube. You just hover over the video and a download box pops up at the top of the video and just click and done.

You can specify where the downloads are to go, local drive, net drive, flash drive, etc. Example snapshot of how RealPlayer pop up looks.

post-566-0-83808000-1354241905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tywais
Added clarification
  • Like 1

The way Tywais suggests is the most straightforward and easy way to set it up. For bulk downloading of say an entire youtube channel I use another method which is a bit more complex to set up but involves a running a virtual machine with JDownloader managing the downloads. That way you connect to the VM via remote desktop and simply collect the links with your primary machine then move on, shutdown or whatever while the VM does its job.

regards Worgeordie

After checking the already installed cable.they found a fault,repaired it,and all seems OK.

Cant be bothered with any speed checks. My internet connections to various sites,Thai and abroad seem the same as with the CDMA,maybe very slightly quicker but nothing remarkable.

No,,,,all in all the service will suit me and I'll pocket the 300 baht saving.

Will say that the guys who came for the installation were all very helpful and effecient

• 6 months later...

What ever you do - DO NOT GET TRUE!

I have had connection on and off for 3 weeks. Engineer visited 4 times and failed to fix the problem. Calls to technical support just gets some clone saying I will get a call back. Half the time you do, the other half of the time you do not. And then when someone comes they look like they are 14 with less technical training than my dog!

Can you tell that I am an unhappy customer?

<deleted>!

• 3 weeks later...

I was at TRUE and 3bb offices in Kad Suan Kaew today.

I was looking to sign up for the best possible internet for my condo (Nakorn ping condo).

TRUE told me that Nakorn ping condo was full. That too many people there use TRUE.. They didn't have any waiting list.. this seemed strange,.

3bb didn't hesitate to give me adsl. 10mbit,13mbit or 15mbit. The concept full does not seem to be in their vocab..

Anyway, this tells me that TRUE is the way to go if possible,, because 3bb don't have the concept "full" and this is why 3bb is horribly slow in some places..

Best Regards

Robert

• 3 months later...

Interesting thread - I have been wit TOT for about 4 years, basically since they put a landline into our village.

Initially the service was great - considering the only phone/internet where I am was using a mobile on AIS on the 500 Baht /Month....if you wanted anything bigger than 5MB files then forget it!

We initially got the TOT package - 3MB/s this was later upgraded to 5MBs and then upgraded again to 7MBs.

They have been pushing a promo lately - 13MBs for 690 Baht, so I thought OK, another 100 Baht a month... it makes sense. Rang their "helpline"...cough cough... and they told me I had to go and pay my bill first...which hadn't arrived....anyway, we went to the office, they checked a few things, and said they would send someone out to check the line the next day to see if we could get the 13MBs (This was despite the computer screen in the TOT office showing "MAX LINE CAPACITY 17MBs" - it was all in English on a quite nice interface - but the woman on the desk was obviously completely out of her depth.)

So, we signed a piece of paper to agree to the line check - Next morning I get a call from TOT asking me what is the problem with my internet!!

After a few minutes the girl understands that their is some sort of mix up and I am happy with the 7MB but want to UPGRADE to the 13MB...she promises someone will call back.

As usual, no one does... I wait 3 days, then call 1100 for service... the usual shit...yes..blah blah we are looking into it ...will call back...another 3 days....blah blah blah ...will call back!

It is now 10 days NOTHING!!!

I am thinking of changing to 3BB - they have a promo for 10MB @ 590 or 13MB @900 - does anyone know what happens with the old TOT line? Will 3BB use the old cable? I don't need a router and I don't need the phone - basically can 3 BB install all the cables or utilise the old ones and completely disconnect from TOT? I don't want to pay these idiots another Baht! - I am not in Chiang Mai City - I am about 40Km down highway 108, off in the boonies a little bit so not sure if True or 3BB are around here - I do see the 3BB vans now and again though.

Cheers!

Edited by Briandajew