6000B Discount On Pickups With A Carry Boy On Rego

jcw

I have been told verbally by a long time expat that he gets about a 6000 Baht discount on his D-Max registration because he has a carry boy on the back off his annual Gov registration cost. I have never heard of this and to the best of my knowledge do not get any such discounts.

Anyone heard of this one before?

I don't know about that but have it on good authority that the police like to stop and fine people with carry-boys.

Apparently. The carry boy should be registered in the blue book.

sent from my Q6

Correct, and only if it has seats fitted you can change the usage and get it reduced to l ''think'' 1000bht. BUT, l don't know if the usage is for commercial use that a farang cannot do. Worth asking. thumbsup.gif

I don't know about that but have it on good authority that the police like to stop and fine people with carry-boys.

Apparently. The carry boy should be registered in the blue book.

sent from my Q6

Correct, and only if it has seats fitted you can change the usage and get it reduced to l ''think'' 1000bht. BUT, l don't know if the usage is for commercial use that a farang cannot do. Worth asking. thumbsup.gif

They are renowned for slapping fines out for commercial usage or not either Thai or farang,just not worth the hassle,sorry i couldn't help the OP with his question only per say that what you think you would save would soon be clawed back by the jerk.gifjerk.gif sooner or later.

I think,that you need to have at least 10 seats to be able to get 'blue' plates-commercial use...

But I would assume commercial use would also be higher taxed, not?

Anyway, the more seats the higher the roadtax in Thailand, so having a canopy ( more seats ) would fetch higher taxes rather than a discount in my opinion.

Edited by jbrain

I think,that you need to have at least 10 seats to be able to get 'blue' plates-commercial use...

Anyway, the more seats the higher the roadtax in Thailand, so having a canopy ( more seats ) would fetch higher taxes rather than a discount in my opinion.

No,the tax would be about 1400 Baht...

No,the tax would be about 1400 Baht...

I assume that 1400 Baht is the tax for a commercial vehicle, but that is why I included the second line in my post.

I have a 4 door pick up and I pay significantly more road tax then a 2 or a 21/2 door pick up, I guess based on the number of people I can seat.

So I would guess that a canopy that provides the possibility to seat even more people would warrant a higher tax.

Otherwise, how would you explain the statement of Mr Red in post #2 that police single out carry boy owners, as they would not be able to claim any possible tax reduction if the canopy isn't legally registered in the blue book.

However they can avoid a tax increase with not registering the carry boy.

There is no tax increase because someone puts the canopy(I know since I've done it),you just have to report it and put the notification in the blue book...if you put more seats and you want to register as a commercial vehicle(blue plates),your road tax will be around 1400 Baht...

I assume that 1400 Baht is the tax for a commercial vehicle, but that is why I included the second line in my post.

I have a 4 door pick up and I pay significantly more road tax then a 2 or a 21/2 door pick up, I guess based on the number of people I can seat.

So I would guess that a canopy that provides the possibility to seat even more people would warrant a higher tax.

Otherwise, how would you explain the statement of Mr Red in post #2 that police single out carry boy owners, as they would not be able to claim any possible tax reduction if the canopy isn't legally registered in the blue book.

However they can avoid a tax increase with not registering the carry boy.

Very simple: easy opportunity to make some money for the police, as very few thais must be aware of the requirement to mention the carryboy on the blue book. Hence, unauthorized modification = fine or bribe.

And your guess is wrong.

2 door pickups are classed as agricultural, driven by poor farm workers.

4 door pickups are classed as luxury personal transportation

Pickups with multi-seating in the back are public transport (school bus, taxi, etc)

So you have put your self in the 'luxury personal', most expensive bracket.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

And your guess is wrong.

2 door pickups are classed as agricultural, driven by poor farm workers.

4 door pickups are classed as luxury personal transportation

Pickups with multi-seating in the back are public transport (school bus, taxi, etc)

So you have put your self in the 'luxury personal', most expensive bracket.

I always thought public transport (so yellow plates/black lettering or green plates/white lettering) was more expensive than standard white plates/black lettering?