Need Help Buying A Camera

I currently have a Sony Cybershot 7.2 MP camera and also a Samsung HMX-H320BP camcorder with 30X optical zoom (http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/123644/samsung-hmx-h320-black). I think the photos are 5 MP.

But the thing is that the camcorder takes much better photos than the camera. The photos have much more color and seem to capture the detail much more clearly. I don't know enough about cameras to understand why this is the case. The photos from the Sony camera have a washed-out and lifeless look to the them, while the Samsung photos look really alive.

I am going traveling soon so want to take a compact camera with me, as the camcoder isn't really suitable for traveling long-term. So is there a compact camera available that will take great photos like my Samsung camcoder, but that also is pretty good at shooting videos. For traveling I'd prefer a camera that also shoots video, rather than a camcorder that also shoots photos. I find taking photos with the camcorder a bit awkward.

The other things is that the camcorder photos have a better aspect ratio. I think it's closer to 3:2 (23.8cm x 13.8cm), whereas the cybershot is 4:3 (18cm x 13.5 cm). I much prefer the 3:2 format, so would prefer a camera that has that aspect ratio.

My cybershot can take videos but the zoom is not so good and it won't zoom once you've started recording. So ideally I'd like a camera that can take video, that has decent zoom.

I'm looking for something in the 10,000 - 20,000 baht range.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a camera that fits my needs?

My plan is to probably sell the camcorder and buy a camera. It's a bit of a shame, as it's only a few months old, and great at shooting videos.

Edited by davejones

A very good camera (something like the pro use to have one of those in a pocket) is the Canon G12 (older) G1X and G15 or the similar Nikon Coolpix P7100 (17.990 Baht) or the new P7700 (around US $ 500)

Now you can get a very interesting price for the G12 (14.800 Baht) because the new G15 is arrived (17.800)

Both the Canon G15 and the and the Coolpix 7700 shot video at 1080p, with autofocus and zoom use.

A very good camera (something like the pro use to have one of those in a pocket) is the Canon G12 (older) G1X and G15 or the similar Nikon Coolpix P7100 (17.990 Baht) or the new P7700 (around US $ 500)

Now you can get a very interesting price for the G12 (14.800 Baht) because the new G15 is arrived (17.800)

Both the Canon G15 and the and the Coolpix 7700 shot video at 1080p, with autofocus and zoom use.

The Canon G15 looks a possibility. I'm also thing of the Panasonic G5. These are my top two choices at the moment.

http://www.thaivisa....is-might-be-it/

Check out this...the Sony RX 100, I just bought one based on the reviews in the above thread and could not be happier.

I am no expert, but I doubt if there would be anything else out there that would impress me as much.

Have Fun.

Just a note on Sony, their service is disgustingly slow.... months of waiting for warranty repair.... plus tried to get money to fix blink.pngsad.png

Canon is much more efficient... thumbsup.gif Some thing to consider, before buying....

After the problems I've had with my Sony Vaio I doubt I'll ever buy another Sony product. I'm not at all happy with Sony service either. Just don't want the stress of dealing with a company like that.

There's a big camera and photo equipment fair going on at BITEC. OP should browse there if you're in the area and have some free time on your hands.

I'll check this out.

The G5 is in a different league to the Canon G15; extremely capable camera with many more features; plus the opportunity to use a wide range of lenses. If you don't want an interchangeable lens camera, then, as Rsquared recommended, you can't do better than the Sony RX100.

I have both a Nikon D7000 and a Nikon AW100. After using both extensively I use the little Nikon AW100 far more often. The video on it is amazing and I can take it under water when I go diving. The close up mode is fantastic and I can virtually place the lens within a cm of the subject. For about $500 including a couple of batteries and a 16 gig card, I can't ask anything more of a camera. The D7000 shines when I need some variation and an instant response. But, the size of an SLR makes it a bit awkard for every day use unless you are on a photo shoot. And, in video mode the AW100 is more accurate in focusing. Video mode in the D7000 takes a bit of getting used to and more care is needed in getting the focusing correct.

I have both a Nikon D7000 and a Nikon AW100. After using both extensively I use the little Nikon AW100 far more often. The video on it is amazing and I can take it under water when I go diving. The close up mode is fantastic and I can virtually place the lens within a cm of the subject. For about $500 including a couple of batteries and a 16 gig card, I can't ask anything more of a camera. The D7000 shines when I need some variation and an instant response. But, the size of an SLR makes it a bit awkard for every day use unless you are on a photo shoot. And, in video mode the AW100 is more accurate in focusing. Video mode in the D7000 takes a bit of getting used to and more care is needed in getting the focusing correct.

I just checked the Nikon AW100 on Amazon and the price is showing as $199. Is this the same camera you're talking about? I Assume not because yours is $500.

Edited by davejones

I just checked the Nikon AW100 on Amazon and the price is showing as $199. Is this the same camera you're talking about? I Assume not because yours is $500.

It would be the same camera. I bought mine shortly after they came out and when the prices were higher. The list at that time was about $300, but with Canadian taxes, a 32 gig memory card and 2 extra batteries it came to $500. It you can get it for $200 that is a good deal. It's still a great camera and it will be a long time before I need to replace it with something better. I've still got a bunch of expensive "paper weights" in the old film type format. I've even got film for them that I'll never ever use again.

Yes, 16 mp and GPS too. I was curious and read the reviews on this camera. Very mixed. Takes good photos when not challenged but video is so-so if that is important to you. Being rugged and waterproof are pluses and I view it as more a specialty camera.