What Is The Cheapest Way To Phone Home?

advancebooking

Since you use Skype top up, you may want to look at their packaged call plan, unlimited calls to UK/OZ/CA/US/Thailand works like a charm $10-12 a month, I have it and am very satisfied.

If you are only calling one person in your home country this may be an option, a mate of mine did who lives in the UK and calls Cambodia daily purchased two Magic Jacks both come with a US phone number and allow unlimited calls between MJ users. So he dials a US number and it rings in Cambodia VV they cost 2950 from this site for the year for each unit.

http://www.voip-thailand.com/vmchk/VoIP-Landline-Phones/Magic-Jack-Plus.html

Here is TV post that reviews MJ

I don't pay anything to use either FaceTime - an Apple built-in application on their FaceTime products, or Google+ Hangouts with free video chat software. Both use VoIP.

for Apple, this means an iPad2, 3 or 4 to iPhone 4 or 5, or to iMac or MacBook or MacAir. These devices all have front-facing camera and microphone built in. So its easy to call people at home when they are near their wifi connection. You can call an iPhone when they are in a coffee shop with wifi connection (although is a bit bothersome for all the other customers).

Same for Google Hangouts - you just need a video camera and microphone on your PC. I talk to my brother iMac to his Windows PC this way. We both are running the chat software from Google.

So get into the 21st Century, and go boldly forward where many have already traveled.

Skype for PC- calls and viedeo connection is okay and free if your partner has Skype, too.

Next to it - for a better quality of calls (to Germany) - my favourite is

http://www.nonoh.net/

http://www.nonoh.net/rates here an excerpt

c9h25luu0ap3brx3x.jpg

The 2.column includes VAT. At first you have to buy a minimal amount, I did it with 10 € + bank fees. I had it for the first 3 months for free. At now, NONOH is cheaply eating my deposit. After that I take care for the next deposit and I start again 3 months for free.

Here, out in the Northers sticks, NONOH has the best landline connection of all I ever used. But only dialing over PC has the best quality (for me). This happens when you use the toolbar below.

c9h2piohsz8mz90t9.jpg

Edited by puck2

The 006 service to Oz is...

using 00600 - 1 baht per minute land lines, 6 baht per minute mobiles

using 006 (higher quality) - 3 baht per minute land lines, 6 baht per minute mobiles

prices don't include VAT

Given both have the same mobile rates, that's probably down to a charge by the Australian mobile operators.

Is what you really want an Australian equivalent to Vonage, so that people get an Australian number to call you on, and you get your landline calls covered in your subscription, and cheap mobile calls.

The best imho, is to use a VOIP provider from your home-country.

I use SIPGATE.DE for Germany.

Calls to german landline number. ~1.8 €cent (or you can book a flatrate).

Quality is absolutely excellent.

In addition, Sipgate gave me a german landline phone number.

So if my friends/customers in Germany want to ring me, they just have to dial this german phone no.

Here in TH, I use a VOIP Adapter (Fritzbox), which acts as an Internet-Router, Dect basis-station, etc...

Phones are Standard Dect-Phones, directly connected to the "Fritzbox" or Android phones with a special app.

And you don't need a running PC.

Edited by roban

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...