Getting A New Car But Cant Put It In My Name Because Im On A Tourist Visa?

Although it focus on motorcycles but I guess it do applies to motor vehicles

Documents required for registration

In case you want to buy a motorcycle which has already been registered in Thailand (transfer of ownership), or buy an unregistered motorcycle at a motorcycle shop (fresh registration), you need to prepare following two documents:

• Passport / Visa
  • Address Certificate

Until a few years ago, a foreigner was required to possess a work permit to register a motor vehicle in Thailand. This requisite was somewhat eased later to possession of a non-immigrant visa (of any kind). Moreover, since 2001, a foreigner with a tourist visa can register a motor vehicle in his own name. One thing you should bear in mind, however, is that Thai government officials are often unaware of recent changes in laws and regulations. So, if you're asked to present a work permit to register a motor vehicle, you must remind them that a tourist visa is good enough.

A foreigner must also produce some kind of official proof of his address in Thailand. Usually, this takes the form of an "address certificate" issued by your embassy in Thailand. Here's a catch. Embassies of some countries, like Japan, issue address certificates only to non-immigrant visa holders. The U.S. embassy, as I hear, issues address certificates, or "affidavit of residency" as they call it, to just about anyone with a US passport upon request.

An alternative is to get an address certificate from a local Immigration Office. In Bangkok, this requires possession of a non-immigrant visa, anyway, and the fee is 500B, which is cheaper than getting one at your embassy. The situation - and the fee - vary in other provinces. Immigration Offices in Pattaya and Phuket , for example, are known to issue address certificates to those with only a tourist visa.

Source: http://www.bkkriders.com/law/registration.html

Edited by Happy Go Lucky
  • Like 1

An alternative is to get an address certificate from a local Immigration Office. In Bangkok, this requires possession of a non-immigrant visa, anyway, and the fee is 500B, which is cheaper than getting one at your embassy. The situation - and the fee - vary in other provinces. Immigration Offices in Pattaya and Phuket , for example, are known to issue address certificates to those with only a tourist visa.

I certainly cant see the point of getting a document from an Embassy which would surely cost more than the Thai residence certificate anyway, as you say.

The cost of a residence certificate seems to be anything up to 500B, depending on where you get it. In Jomtien (Pattaya) it's 200B and is issued to anyone who asks for one and has the 200B and two photos, and any sort of bill showing their address. No visa required. People who live in smaller towns with no immigration office may find that their local police station or town hall will issue one, usually for very little or no cost.

I am a little confused by the OP.

He is only on a tourist visa yet wants to buy a new car which may take weeks to deliver or not if he is lucky.

What will he do with the car after the tourist visa expires and he has to leave the country?

I am a little confused by the OP.

Me to.

If you plan to stay here and change your visa status to something that is not tourist then why not do that first.

Of course one can stay for three consecutive 60 days so a total of 180 days (maybe the law has changed again and now it is longer) so if driving around the country it may be cheaper to buy a car and then sell it when leaving. But that whole process would also eat into holiday time.

This maybe more a visa question than a car question but certainly don't put it in anyone else's name. 50,000 baht scooter maybe if you are not bothered about 50,000.

its very easy to change your visa also i am under the impression that you cant get a driving license with a tourist visa (i maybe wrongas im not up on changes to the thai rules).

I learned a lot about this on TV but this is pure speculation:

If one can obtain a Thai residence permit on a tourist visa an IF one has an IDL one should be able to get a TDL and be able to put a car on his name.

Who is with me on this?

• Like 1

its very easy to change your visa also i am under the impression that you cant get a driving license with a tourist visa (i maybe wrongas im not up on changes to the thai rules).

If one can obtain a Thai residence permit on a tourist visa an IF one has an IDL one should be able to get a TDL and be able to put a car on his name.

Who is with me on this?

A residence permit is something that takes years to get, what you mean is proof of residence.

Who is with me on this?

'Certificate of Residence' is the document you were thinking of. Immigration won't give you a residence permit.

If you can't ask for the right documents, it's no surprise you can't get the Thai DL.

Anyway nothing to do with the OP, who appears to have problems with someone trying to scam a car off him.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

How about the Insurance can you get insured on a Tourist visa, I doubt it.

In Thailand they normally insure the vehicle, not any particular driver.

You have to have a valid driving license for the insurance to cover you.

Isn't it all about bending the rules? I mean if you get a stamp you live here doesn' t mean you actually live here, right..? It only means the stamp is on the paper.

Catch my drift?

'Certificate of residence' is purely to confirm you have a correspondence address in Thailand.

You don't have to live there 24/7. The immigration document is only valid for 4 weeks.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

He is only on a tourist visa yet wants to buy a new car which may take weeks to deliver or not if he is lucky.

What will he do with the car after the tourist visa expires and he has to leave the country?

I know people who own cars and condos here but who never have any sort of visa. Why? Because they work elsewhere and are never here for more than a month at a time.

You can buy a car without any sort of visa.

• Like 1

Reason is because i do motorsport racing(drifting) in thailand and next year is a big year for me, and go to thailand almost every month for this. I need my own car, borrowing the girlfriends car is annoying id prefer my own. So can i get the car in my name and have the rego plates in my name also?

This is for both cars, one being the new car i would like to buy ..... from FORD company then get the plates etc

and second would be the car i bought for racing needs to get transferred but the person at the rego place or whatever you call it told my girlfriend coz i am not working here or have a permit etc i cant get it in my name... so yeh. thank you, sorry for being confusing

Edited by alexaustralia

I just come on a tourist visa as i dont see the point of applying for a work permit when im technically not working.

Sorry to be a pain, but any info would be great. Surely being thailand you can "BEND" the rules, and yes i am a farang and stupid for thinking like this but its true haha.

............... but the person at the rego place or whatever you call it told my girlfriend coz i am not working here or have a permit etc i cant get it in my name... so yeh. thank you, sorry for being confusing

Ah ha ......... you girlfriend told you because .................. she wants the car in her name.

You are being scammed mate, new Ford, 800k yum yum, put it in my name, you can trust me!

(Just kidding, I'm sure you can totally trust her and she made an absolutely genuine mistake)

There is absolutely nothing to stop you having any number of cars in your name, and the 'person at the rego place' would have given you that same information.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If you are doing motorsport then yes technically you are working, no work permit incorrect visa and also this would mean not having the car in your name.

Try to get the sponsor to get your a valid visa and work permit.

But the OP doesn't need a workpermit nor any visa other than a tourist visa to have the car in his name.The OP has everything he needs to receive a proof of residence from the local immigration and with that document he can register the car in his name.Insurance doesn't ask any of these documents.

Someone is clearly trying to obstruct the OP in legally purchasing the cars in his name.

............... but the person at the rego place or whatever you call it told my girlfriend coz i am not working here or have a permit etc i cant get it in my name... so yeh. thank you, sorry for being confusing

Ah ha ......... you girlfriend told you because .................. she wants the car in her name.

You are being scammed mate!

There is absolutely nothing to stop you having any number of cars in your name, and the 'person at the rego place' would have given you that same information.

Tend to agree here. thumbsup.gif

To get the certificate from Jomtien immigration you only need to provide some sort of document with your name and address on it. This could be a utility bill or a rent receipt. Quite what they would do if you live at someone else's house and dont pay rent, I dont know. Maybe want a letter from that person saying that you live there?

Other offices and bodies who provide the certificate may have completely different ideas about what sort of proof (if any) they need to see, so you should inquire locally. In Thailand goalposts are mobile.

So i will need this residency paperwork and thats it? can the residence be my girlfriends home? Thanks.

By the letter of the law in Thailand your GF should notify immigration that you are staying at her home. This requirement is either unknown or nearly always ignored. Is the GF the owner or renting? If she's the owner she will have a Blue Household Card. She writes a letter stating you are staying at her residence & with the Blue Book, (plus her ID card) as proof of residence, Immigration with provide you with your proof of residence letter. Alternatively you could acquire a mobile phone account in your name. GF just need to show her ID card and Blue Book as guarantor as you only have tourist entry stamp. Then ask for a receipt with your name and address to show to Immigration for the proof of residence.

• 2 weeks later...

OK people, I have read all the post on this subject. It sound like speculation to me. Can any of you, provide a Thai Government web site that states in black and white. That a non-thai can register a new car in his name. I am the kind of guy that wants to make a copy of the rules (off the Gov web site) in my hand, before I go to a dealership. So if they try and put my old lady's name instead of mine on the title. I can stop that from happening.