International School Prices?

chris1dna

Making initial plans for future move upon retirement. I have seen posted recently that a good international school starts at $20,000 US a year per child. Is this right?

I will have a then ten year old son who is half Thai/American. I desire the best education for him possible in Chiang mai. What are the best school options ? I know this is an subjective line of questions so if more detail is needed for accurate response just ask. I'm really hoping that this $20,000 per child a year is just hot air. But if its the truth of what a western style education cost in Chiang Mai then I'll have to reconsider my initial timeline for retirement. Thanks in advice TV members.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Education prices for international education ranges from around 80,000 baht to 1.5 million baht per year in Chiang Mai. However, if the student is not a good student, then it really doesn't matter how much you pay.

I can't see that you would get an international education for 80k per term, yet alone per year. You may get a school with 'international' in their name, but there is a vast difference in betwen that and a proper international school.

I can't comment specifically on Chiang Mai, but for a 10 year old in Bangkok at a good school, you would be looking at approx 500k and up per year. I would expect Chiang Mai would be broadly in line with that. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

It all depends what you consider a '"good" international school, IMHO.

Prem day-students might be $10k-$15k, depending upon age and whether you pay in-full at-the-start-of-the-year (to get the 5% cash-discount), then you've books, clothes & transport & lunches, but I'd say that $20k is therefore the maximum at Chiang Mai's most-expensive (and only I.B.-system) school.

Coming from the USA-system one might consider Grace or APIS or perhaps CMIS, as well as Prem, look at the schools various accreditations ?

There are several other options ... Chiang Mai has to be the best place in Thailand for international-schooling, outside of Bangkok !

Location is also worth considering, travel from one side of the city to the other can be slow, during rush-hour. It recently took me an hour to drive early-evening from Grace (on the Hang Dong road) to Mae-Jo (north of town).

International schools in CM average 220,000bht or about 6,500 usd per a year, only Prem skews the graph at 400,000bht. plus an enrollment fee of just over $4k usd.

These prices are for primary level which in your case a 4th grader.

The only schools I would consider for my kid are grace and cmis and possibly lanna or nis

Edited by tangcoral

Think 200,000 baht (say $7,000) per year for your 10 year old and you'll be in the right ball park but naturally fees will increase somewhat as he gets older . All schools have some one off charges on acceptance so figure in an extra $3000 to start. With this budget your choices will be between the US SAT curriculum and the UK International GCSE and your decision will, to some extent, depend on where you plan to have him go to university.

I would advise checking out the schools with a personal visit, talking to some parents and then deciding on where to live as CM traffic will only get busier as time goes by and you're probably not thinking of moving out here to sit in traffic!

• Like 1

To all of you who have responded, thank you very much. As I suspected this 20k US is the extreme high end. From my reading many post on this topic it sounds like around 8-9k a year for very good schooling. As compared to most public schools in my area at least. Our plan is to have our son return to the USA to live with his grandparents and finish his last semester of HS in california to avoid the residency eligibility issue so he can attend US university and be eligible for any available student aid. The 8-9k is well within our planned budget. I will be arriving in CM late dec and I will be looking at the various schools mentioned and start networking with parents if possible to get a better idea I what each schools strong points and weak points are. Again you guys, thanks so very very much.

i agree with the 8-9K/year figure... and while that will provide you the financial side of things, there are other considerations, IMHO.

Location could be an issue, depending on how/where you want to live... since you seem to be expressing a decent sized budget, housing should be available for you just about wherever you want.

As others mentioned, the preparation for University (and the appropriate accrediting agency) is important. You already indicated returning to USA for residency issues (i am hoping for same thing with my 9 yr old, also California)... so you might be better suited with schools

that are WASC accredited.

Lastly, there is a religious component to many of the international schools... some programs are very steeped in Christian values, others less so... if you narrow down your choices, i would recommend visiting the school and/or privately talking to parents of children who attend the school. Usually questions on this forum about the "value" of a school or its orientation (vis a vis religion) can become quite heated and sometimes not all that helpful.

All the best of luck in sorting out the issues.

Attached are the fee schedules for the international schools. I was not correct when I mentioned the fees earlier. The latest fees from their website are noted. Keep in mind there are additional fees such as lunches, transportation, new student, etc. Check their websites for more information.

Nice work on the spreadsheet, Richard. Thanks.

• Like 1

i know a lot of farang teachers in chiang mai working for different schools and from what they tell me your child would get a better education in mud hut

in the Congo but least you know your child will never fail one single exam and you can call them in class when ever you want with out them being told off

heaven forbid they might actually learn something

• Like 1

i know a lot of farang teachers in chiang mai working for different schools and from what they tell me your child would get a better education in mud hut

in the Congo but least you know your child will never fail one single exam and you can call them in class when ever you want with out them being told off

That's disappointing to say the least. Wow! Do you have any children in these schools. Which are they? I'll be sure to avoid them.

The only mud here is the stuff you're flinging. Our child goes to Lanna which is certified by Cambridge International under the British system. I monitor what she does and her math and english skills are, I am ashamed to say, well in advance of mine at her age. And I was no slouch in school. And she is not alone. She's got lots of competition. And for better or worse, these kids do like to compete academically. Which may or may not be a good things, but it does mean the children are academically engaged. And I know kids who go to CMIS and Grace, and their standards are stringent, too.

• Like 1

If the teachers you know are the ones telling you that, then that is a sad reflection of their own professional practise. My guess is you are getting your information from some dodgy TEFL teachers, rather than home country certified professionals, which is what you would find at a proper international school.

BTW, I am not saying all TEFL teachers are dodgy.

Like punctuation for instance?

Edited by LucidLucifer
  • Like 1

ok well send them to sacred heart school they have a very good program

if your child is interested in dressing like a German storm trooper and goose stepping around on sports day

the teachers had no idea they were goin to do this of course 200 children made the banners the uniforms in secret with no help at all lol

so no if thats the level of education children are given in Thailand im glad i had the snip 10 years ago

but as i said dont concern your self with minor details your child will get 80 percent on any exam just buy writing there name in the correct place

on the exam paper god i hope i never get sick here and need an op the thought of being treated by a high so thai that daddy paid the school

and collage a little extra to pass his finals scares the shit out of me

if your child is interested in dressing like a German storm trooper and goose stepping around on sports day

the teachers had no idea they were goin to do this of course 200 children made the banners the uniforms in secret with no help at all lol

so no if thats the level of education children are given in Thailand im glad i had the snip 10 years ago

but as i said dont concern your self with minor details your child will get 80 percent on any exam just buy writing there name in the correct place

on the exam paper god i hope i never get sick here and need an op the thought of being treated by a high so thai that daddy paid the school

Bless you, you are one confused individual.....

We are talking about international schools, not Thai schools. Please understand the difference.

• Like 1

there is no difference there are both controlled buy the thai education department they both have western teachers working at them

and as far as i know and on this i admit i could be wrong but grades given to

thai students in government and Internationale schools in thailand

are not recognized in a lot of other country's as the level of education received is sub standard as i said i am goin by a few people i know that kids

attend schools here and by teachers i know working here at government and Internationale schools

there is no difference there are both controlled buy the thai education department they both have western teachers working at them

and as far as i know and on this i admit i could be wrong but grades given to

thai students in government and Internationale schools in thailand

are not recognized in a lot of other country's as the level of education received is sub standard as i said i am goin by a few people i know that kids

attend schools here and by teachers i know working here at government and Internationale schools

Mr Bite,

I appreciate all info on this topic and welcome yours as well. As negative as you make it all sound I causes me to wonder, what is your actual experience? From what other than heresy do you gather this knowledge? Under what circumstance do you spend time with these "teachers"? If its all discussions over Changs at the local watering hole I would tend to discount it. If you have some professional relationship with these folks, what is the level of school AND what schools do they actually have employment? The overwhelming majority here seem to vehemently disagree with your sentiments. Can you clarify your position with more background as to how you came to this disdain for the education available in Chiang Mai? As opposed to just something some friends said? Thanks. :)

blink.png

Pretty obvious to me, we have a troll in our midst!

Kind of a lousy troll then. I don't understand why one would troll something like this. (shakes head). Oh well. Thanks for any info everybody. This forum has and will be a great help in my researching for schooling for my child.

It is unfortunate for me that the international schools in Chiang Mai are so good. I work in the admissions and marketing department at Payap University here in Chiang Mai. Because of the super high quality of the international schools here in Chiang Mai (post #10 above) most of the student, if not all, are able to apply and get accepted into top schools around the world. My university is a small private school and we only have 4 international undergrad programs to offer the students here in Chiang Mai. Often students are interested in something else and they go study elsewhere.

• Like 1

The level of misinformation that some people manage to get their hands on never ceases to amaze me...

At Lanna (where I work) this year students went off to great universities all over the world, with one getting a very hotly contested place at UCL. Do you think he got that without reaching impressive standards? He needed (and got) top A Level results to even be considered for the place...

I quote from the new school magazine, the Lanna Quarterly "Of particular note is one student who is now attending University College London (UCL). Impressive enough, given that UCL is currently rated as the fourth best university in THE WORLD, but even more so given that he was accepted into one of their most oversubscribed courses. He obtained a place in the “Human Sciences” program; a course aimed at people who will become politicians and leaders of industry. This course receives approximately 3,000 applications each year, and they award only 30 placements."

The school magazine is a good read, and a good insight into the school. You can download a digital copy of the magazine from the front page of the school website.

I agree that the number and quality of international schools in Chiang Mai is remarkable. I do wish that they would all do a better job of posting on their web sites the qualifications of their faculty and staff including details on their academic degrees (including relevance to what they are teaching), past and continuing professional education, and actual experience in harness. Some of the schools do not do this --- right , JimShortz? --- and others do an incomplete job of it.

I do not mean to pick on Lanna. I am basically impressed with the school for various reasons, but one star graduate does not a school make. The other international schools in Chiang Mai have also had some star students and graduates.

Different courses for different horses when it comes to curriculum. A lot of that has to do with parental preference and anticipation as to where the students will be going to university. The IB curriculum is the most universally recognized program. The American AP courses can be very good. So can A Levels. All have to be properly taught.

One warning. There is at least one school in Chiang Mai which features an international program that appears to be a qualified MOE-certified international school but isn't.

The MOE is trying to increase the number of English language-based international programs in Thai schools. That is going to be a tough row to hoe. It is dated (and I am not certain how accurate news, still) that Yuparaj School is one of the government schools selected. That school is arguably the best Thai government school in Chiang Mai.

Going further to discuss governmental as well as private Thai schools in the area is covering more ground than intended in this thread.

Edited by Mapguy

I do wish that they would all do a better job of posting on their web sites the qualifications of their faculty and staff including details on their academic degrees (including relevance to what they are teaching), past and continuing professional education, and actual experience in harness. Some of the schools do not do this --- right , JimShortz? --- and others do an incomplete job of it.

Mapguy, I agree with you wholeheartedly that all schools need to be more honest and up-front about their teachers' qualifications and experience.

If you check the Lanna website, and navigate to "About Us > Meet The Staff" you will see that the school does indeed provide a biography for each teacher (including qualifications). To see them you need to click on a teacher's name and it pops up.

I agree that it would also be good to see more about ongoing Professional Development that the staff undertake. We actually get lots of opportunities to do this at Lanna, and all staff are involved (quite a few are also currently working towards their Masters degrees in education). I will put it to the head that it should all be recorded on the website - great idea!