Thai Gov Imposing Illegal Tariffs On Imported Beer Into Thailand

jcw

Imported beer from other ASEAN countries are meant to be zero duty since 2010.

Why are beers from Malaysia and Singapore so dam_n expensive?

"The EU says Thailand taxes alcohol imports up to 60% despite the fact tariffs from Asean producers were cut to zero."

Possible link with more information, Please discuss.

Thailand knows their beers can't compare to the surrounding countries'. look at the games they played with Lao Beer. Granted a lot of nationalistic idiots will never drink anything other than Singha and Chang, but a lot of people are going to be in for a surprise when they realize countries like Burma out do them in quality and taste. Reminds me of growing up in the US, you had Bud and Coors, and now the US has one of, if not the fastest growing microbrewery segment in the world.

Cliffnotes:

Thai businesses have a poor track record of fighting at level and rely on corruption to out sell competition.

It's frustrating if you hate low quality nasty formaldehyde bad tasting PW brewed in Thailand. It worked out for me though as I quit beer on account of being forced to drink this swill for some years. It's all bad and I surely dont miss it and save huge bucks not gagging nightly. Haven't thrown up since quitting either and that used to be a regular occurence after consuming said sewer water. doesnt matter what "brand": Heine, Singh, Leo, Tiger, Chang. All really bad and bad for you

To allow imported beers into the country free of import duty, would mean that Thailand had to actually honour the free trade agreement that they signed. Anybody who knows the power of the beer cartel and other vested interests here would know that that will never happen.

Should Thailand ever ulfill its obligations to the Asian Economic Community, the country would collapse.

Thailand knows their beers can't compare to the surrounding countries'. look at the games they played with Lao Beer. Granted a lot of nationalistic idiots will never drink anything other than Singha and Chang, but a lot of people are going to be in for a surprise when they realize countries like Burma out do them in quality and taste. Reminds me of growing up in the US, you had Bud and Coors, and now the US has one of, if not the fastest growing microbrewery segment in the world.

Cliffnotes:

Thai businesses have a poor track record of fighting at level and rely on corruption to out sell competition.

No not Thailand knows....that would mean some patriotic, even if misguided attempt to help Thailand. Most probably the few families who control the alcohol business make large "donations" to all party lists.

These nationalistic idiots will also change pretty fast when they taste real beer. They also drink Black Label and not patriotic Sam Song....

But most probably the local breweries will improve their quality. What do you think will happen when their turn over goes down just a few %....They will hire the best German brew-masters. And fast they would build new clean breweries. These companies are super rich they can change fast if they want.