Knee Surgery

black fox

I need knee surgery Bumrungrad want 300,000, one in Si racha same op 250,000. I am going through same process now so thats what they have quoted. interested in other answers.

thanks for your reply, im asking for my friend who does'nt have a computer of his own, which hospital in sri rasha was it.

Some years back I knew a guy who needed to have his knees replaced. He spent a long time driving around comparing prices and quality, and he seemed to think that it was best to avoid having anything done in Pattaya as it's so overpriced. He was tossing up between the Bangkok Hospital in Rayong, which I think was around 30% cheaper than the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya, or one of the hospitals in Sri Racha. I moved then and lost contact with him, so I'm afraid I can't tell you the final decision, but it sounded to me as if it's worth shopping around.

Listen to the referral to Dr, Mason at Bumrungrad...Dr. Panya at Bumrungrad is also recommended. If money is an issue than the Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip has an orthopedic department and it will be much less money and probably ok..depending on the severity of the damage

• Like 1

I need knee surgery Bumrungrad want 300,000, one in Si racha same op 250,000. I am going through same process now so thats what they have quoted. interested in other answers.

thanks for your reply, im asking for my friend who does'nt have a computer of his own, which hospital in sri rasha was it.

samitivej, i have been to 3 hospitals now and not confident in any of them. Bumrungrad the surgeon said he knew in Europe the same procedure people were up and walking in 2-3 days but he found 6 weeks was required otherwise the screws in the plate broke and new operation. cant see how in Europe same operation is so much less of a problem and he qouted the times. Considering India, cheaper and better trained from what i read. Edited by marstons

Listen to the referral to Dr, Mason at Bumrungrad...Dr. Panya at Bumrungrad is also recommended. If money is an issue than the Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip has an orthopedic department and it will be much less money and probably ok..depending on the severity of the damage

Is the Dr Mason a westerner?

I second the above recommendation. Dr. Mason, Thai, was trained in the USA and also worked (I believe at Yale University).I haven't had a knee operaton, but have been to him for my arm, knee, and leg problems. I have heard good things about Dr. Panya also. You certainly want to go to doctors that have a good reputation than going to an "unknown" when it comes to working on your knee or hip.

I had three months ago surgery on my tibia done by Dr. Phanyarith at the Pattaya International Hospital. He is specialized in knee joint replacements and other orthopedic surgery at the legs. Did a great job on me, can walk again three months later after a rather complicated fracture of the tibia.

He is actually working for the Ao Udom Hospital. Try to get a quote there, after all it is the doctor, not the hospital that makes the difference.

I received an artificial knee joint at a German hospital 2.5 years ago, after a motorcycle accident in LOS, where a local hospital messed my knee up, instead of fixing it.

I went through hell, as they also implanted some serious bacteria. If your friend needs such an implant, please make sure to look for the right doctor. Please see live operation:

(Sorry couldn't find it in English)

http://www.orlive.com/conformis-inc-/videos/n-chste-generation-patienten-spezifischer-knieoberfl-chenersatz-mit-conformis-iuni-sup-/sup-g2-17-00-uhr-mez-1

I had arthroscopic surgery, at the Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip, on my L knee for a torn meniscus in 2004.

The doctor, Dr Prachan Banchasuek, who works on staff at Somdej Prapinklao Hosp in BKK, was brought in for the procedure.

He's a Thai orthopedic surgeon and obtained his diplomate degree in Sports Medicine at Johns Hopkins Hosp, in the USA!

Cost for all (surgery, meds, overnight private room, food) was a mere 14,000-Bt!!

Note this was 8-years ago and Sirikit Hosp now charges 50% more for farangs...but is still inexpensive compared to the

Pattaya or BKK farang hospital prices!

I also know of an English golf caddie, who had both knees replaced w/ artificial joint replacements at Sirikit. He's recovered just fine!

I received an artificial knee joint at a German hospital 2.5 years ago, after a motorcycle accident in LOS, where a local hospital messed my knee up, instead of fixing it.

I went through hell, as they also implanted some serious bacteria. If your friend needs such an implant, please make sure to look for the right doctor. Please see live operation:

http://www.orlive.co...17-00-uhr-mez-1

My landlord is in the same position. He had a motorcycle accident and they butchered his knee at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. They operated twice in 3 days and then tried to repair the damage with another operation 3 months later in Bangkok. They admitted they messed up and the 3rd operation was free. 3 major surgeries and a minor one to remove some screws and it's still a mess. A full year later and he's still getting around on crutches.

How is your artificial knee?

http://www.orlive.co...17-00-uhr-mez-1

My landlord is in the same position. He had a motorcycle accident and they butchered his knee at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. They operated twice in 3 days and then tried to repair the damage with another operation 3 months later in Bangkok. They admitted they messed up and the 3rd operation was free. 3 major surgeries and a minor one to remove some screws and it's still a mess. A full year later and he's still getting around on crutches.

How is your artificial knee?

Thats what worries me i have seen 3 specialsts and had 3 differnt porcedures advised, one included replacing the worn away cartlide, with new artifitial cartlidge, which i now cannot be done. The ohter guy in Bumrungrad said 6 weeks no walking, in this day and age thats ridiculas. Edited by marstons

I had a torn meniscus operated on two years ago at Bumrungrad in Bangkok. Dr. Mason was the surgeon. Did a lot of research before choosing this doctor. Very happy with the results so far.

I too did a lot of research for the above condition and decided to forgo Thailand completely for surgery, I consider them "butchers on the go" and now BPH have bought a stake in all the surrounding Pattaya hospitals up will go their prices.

Flew to India,had MRI scan with latest magnetron ($50),day later with GP's advice chose top rated NHS trained surgeon and operated on ,private room for 24 hours,two surgeons,plus top class anesthetist ,all in for $700,air fare $150. Fantastic results,but their motto is "if bone, we perform miracles" which I wholeheartedly agree with

Chose to have bowel cancer scan, polyp found and removed,heart stress tested,blood testing for thyroid etc(all in $100),whilst there

I like Air India for medical evacuation if necessary ,can carry one stretcher case per flight for seat price

• Like 1

I had a torn meniscus operated on two years ago at Bumrungrad in Bangkok. Dr. Mason was the surgeon. Did a lot of research before choosing this doctor. Very happy with the results so far.

I too did a lot of research for the above condition and decided to forgo Thailand completely for surgery, I consider them "butchers on the go" and now BPH have bought a stake in all the surrounding Pattaya hospitals up will go their prices.

Flew to India,had MRI scan with latest magnetron ($50),day later with GP's advice chose top rated NHS trained surgeon and operated on ,private room for 24 hours,two surgeons,plus top class anesthetist ,all in for $700,air fare $150. Fantastic results,but their motto is "if bone, we perform miracles" which I wholeheartedly agree with

Chose to have bowel cancer scan, polyp found and removed,heart stress tested,blood testing for thyroid etc(all in $100),whilst there

I like Air India for medical evacuation if necessary ,can carry one stretcher case per flight for seat price

ANy details on which hospital and where. Thanks

Thanks for suggestions of doctors i have emailed to see if doctors are still at hospitals and will follow up accordingly.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Mason-Porramatikul Dr mason still at Bumrungrad, i will go for 2nd opinion from him, they have all x rays so should not cost to much for 2nd opinion from recommended Doctor with a good looking resumme. Obviously from his hours works else where which i will try and find out where so maybe cheaper than Bumrungrad.

12th floor (new building) Bumrungrad International Clinic.

Contact Us

Phone: +66 (0) 2667 1555

Fax: +66 (0) 2667 2915