Which Restaurants Do The Thai Elite Eat At?

papaya9

Sorry for the aside, but La Normandie is like That 70's Show, all those mixed up pink and peach tones, food good, but quite hilarious experience;one of the recommended cocktails won the world cocktail championships in 1974 (it said so on the menu), the petits-fours with the coffee came on a plate of smoking dry ice, and everybody saying 'certainly, sir' ad nauseam.

I guess it goes with the 'Emanuelle' wicker chairs and the photocopied "antique" photographs in the Author's Lounge.

• 1 year later...
Out of curiosity I've always wondered where the Thai elite go for grub. I don't expect to see them at the homestyle ones that I frequent! It would be interesting to see them, in a non-exclusive setting of course. If anyone knows where I'd appreciate it much. Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Kurt-

You and your girlfriend won't fit in.

Met Ed Karabao in Khon Kaen a few years back. Forgot the name of the place (nothing fancy), but he (Ed) was wayyyyy cooooooool. And very normal. My kids said there is Ed Karabao. I scolded them and said he would not be in such a low-key spot. Well, he was.... They checked and talked to him.

Neil's Tavern was the top of the pops once, but that was fifteen or twenty years ago. Now it's generally considered by Thai movers to be both crummy (food) and passe (status). Baan Kanitha is strictly a place to take farang visitors who want to taste 'real' Thai food without getting too ethnic in the process. Locals wouldn't be caught dead there.

Have to disagree. Neil's Tavern may no longer be the in place, but it is still jam-packed and still mostly top-crust Thais who eat there. But this is not a place you will find too many celebrities - more likely you'll find people in various states of power.

...umm... that's the last time I respond to a post that's over a year old :o

Edited by onethailand

I was out with my thai mate the other night, and by virtue of his family he could be called elite...after a few beers we ate Khao Man Gai Tod at a road side stall :o

Thai elite(family, financially,business, politically, militarially etc...) eat everywhere and anywhere depending on desire, convenience, location and occasion.

• 2 weeks later...
always spot some in emporium... also, try soi thonglor i cannot specify places as there are many. but why do you want to see one?

I like Thai celebrities, versus American ones. The Thais ones aren't afraid to be seen walking around anywhere, and they seem to be more down to earth than the crappy American celebrities(who shouldn't be celebs in the first place!). The females are also more beautiful in my opinion! Thanks for your reply.

Finally I get to boast on TV!

G/f and yours truly sat beside the (then almost elected) Bangkok Mayor Khun Apirak and his wife and teenage son. In a Japanese restaurant called Shin Daikuko (sp?) in Suk Soi 19 I think it was (good resto b.t.w.) I didn't recognise him, but g/f did, and we had a nice chat. After a while, many people came to greet and have their picture taken, poor guy, he was the paragon of patience, could hardly eat his food...

That concludes my 45 seconds in the limelight with the hi-so's!

so many times in ko-san road bars my thai friends have pointed out to me some thai star. i have no idea who these people are, but they are always friendly and shake hands etc and chat.

bars where I saw them: DeHippie bar (a side alley off kosan,, near to TRUE internet cafe, I think). and LAVA bar,, (downstairs at Bayon Building) - r&b type bar. and even in gullivers (believe it or not) some famous thai actress was in there! (why she was there I have no idea!!! though, again, I have no idea who she or any of them are!!)

also, in sukumvit, they have been pointed out to me,,, in bars,, (Q-bar etc).

at Siam Paragon @ the cinema movie theatre floor, I had to miss the first 10 minutes of my movie coz we had to wait for the thai princess to come out. people were standing around revering proud. I was checking out her clumpy shoes! and that I missed the first 10 mins of the movie!

also, another famous person was in zanoti restaurant in silom..

so,, yes,, anywhere and everywhere.

I was most suprised about a famous thai actress wanting to go to gullivers in kosan!! apparently she is in a drama show every friday and saturday and also in a few movies. (thats all I know)

Met Ed Karabao in Khon Kaen a few years back. Forgot the name of the place (nothing fancy), but he (Ed) was wayyyyy cooooooool. And very normal. My kids said there is Ed Karabao. I scolded them and said he would not be in such a low-key spot. Well, he was.... They checked and talked to him.

Aed is not a reference to that. Aed is one of the most down to earth people I've ever meet, showing up as a hi-so it's not in his character.