Chiang Mai Jazz Festival: Thoughts & Pictures

Greenside

So, firstly, I like Jazz. Mostly what used to be called Progressive Jazz, Jazz/Rock, Fusion - now, who knows? Acid Jazz sometimes seems to hit the nail on the head but mostly I'd say funky, not smooth, not Trad and with a minimum of vocals: Spyro Gyra, Miles Davis, The Soft Machine, Herbie Hancock and Stanley Clarke all fit the bill and North Gate Jazz Co-Op more often than not has some good stuff on the menu. I thought I'd post this sort-of-review as there hasn't really been much follow up and since these things take a huge amount of effort to stage, it would be a pity for sponsors and organisers not to get some feedback.

I was happy to see the big billboard for the 2012 CM Jazz Festival and happier still that it was at what sounded like an interesting venue although the weekend was so full of events that I couldn't make the first night. The only CMJF I have attended was at Think Park (now mysteriously boarded up with a yet-to-be-opened-something lurking in the shadows) a couple of years ago. It suffered from traffic noise, low key publicity and didn't seem to have headlining act in line with the ticket price so I was heartened when I saw the giant ad on the corner of Nimmenhamen Road for this year's do at the CM Night Safari.

IMG_1276-XL.jpg

Saturday fell victim to the storm that those of us at the Mae Jo Khum Loy Launch just managed to miss, but it sounds like they made the best of what must have been a nightmare situation. I went along on Sunday in the hope of seeing at least one of the main attractions although I didn't know any of the bands playing.

The venue - good for access and parking as you'd expect. My first visit, and while dancing Red Indian Ladies didn't do a lot for me, the dancing fountain show was really good; maybe not up there with the Bellagio but pretty much state of the art and an unexpected bonus.

IMG_1210-XL.jpg

There were plenty of places to sit but not really quite enough of a crowd to ignite the atmosphere. I read on another thread here that one visitor was disappointed that the main act was "a cover band" and while that displays a disregard for the many fine musicians who do their own take on "standards" (Summertime, anyone?) and the music on offer wasn't quite to my taste, I would be inclined to feel that once again the event lacked a real headliner.

IMG_1534-X2.jpg

I've been to a few Jazz Festivals and what seems to happen is that the more exotic the location, the more the organisers are tempted to compromise (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles headlining the The St. Lucia JF, would you believe?) to attract a decent size crowd so, while the music pretty much stayed true to the title of the event, the paying public seemed a little in short supply.

IMG_1863-XL.jpg

IMG_2052-Edit-2-XL.jpg

All in all though, a fun evening that I suspect many readers here would have been surprised to enjoy. Thanks to all the performers, organisers and sponsors - hopefully you'll see fit to do another next year (but maybe on a different weekend!).

More pictures here.

Edit: Oh yes, the girl promoting the Nokia phones was really cute too smile.png

IMG_1553-M.jpg

Appreciate the review, but my experience was a little different. I only made the Sunday night, and I have some friends who absolutely loved the Saturday night. But I was mostly disappointed... Marlene (?) went on waaaay too long - although a great guitar and drummer backing her. We ended up leaving when she launched into song no#12. Enjoyed her voice for first 5 or 6 songs, and interesting arrangements of some old songs. However, there are some brilliant jazz musos (Thai and falang) here in CM, and in Thailand. Maybe it would be better for the "international" element to be derived from some of the expats. Filled out with Thai talent.

I must second positives about the venue - easy parking and entrance. Great water/laser display - although that is on twice every night anyway.

Food and drinks were over-priced and very limited for choice. I would suggest a good meal before coming in 2013.

Overall, a good second attempt, but I do hope it improves the standard of musical offerings - a lot - for next year. Word of mouth is the only way to establish such events on an annual basis, and it will need improving if people are going to recommend to friends - esp at 650 THB a ticket.

We're spoilt for choice as far as live music goes in CM, so that must make it harder for the organisers to come up with a line up that most people haven't seen. The cost of bringing a really well known international performer requires an event on an entirely different scale and I guess the sponsors would be nervous as to whether the audience could be found however good the artist. Would we be prepared to pay international ticket prices here? A tricky problem but let's at least be thankful we've got so much talent around on a regular basis anyway!

As for the food, to some extent the same thing goes - it's never going to be as varied or cheap as you'll find in the Sunday market. It's the same at every public event and while it's OK for a snack that's about it.

We are having a meeting in the next few months, any friendly expats who want to make Thai friends are so welcome to the Chiang Mai Jazz Festival team meeting or join us as volunteer (I'm a volunteer my self). Please PM me if you are interested to the future meeting( which will be at least another 5 months). We are looking forward to a good friendship and constructive criticism.