Always Count Your Change At Gas Stations.

rene123

This is probably old news for the long timers here, but it's a first for me. I don't know if it's legal here to name companies, but I'll leave it by just giving a general location. It happened at a station near the south west corner of the moat this evening. Because of the King's birthday today the banks were closed and I couldn't change my 1000 baht notes into smaller bills. So, when it came time to pay for 160 baht worth of gas the attendent handed my six 100 baht bills and two 20 baht bills in exchange for my 1000 baht note. I learned how to count a long time ago and 640 baht is 200 baht short. When I pointed it out to him he was only going to give me another 100 baht and seemed reluctant to do so. It's just a warning to check your change.

Not only check your change,but also check that the pump is set to Zero,I've been done twice. And only realised my petrol guage was well down for 600 bahts worth.Once I went back and they gave me 150 bahts back,which was probably not enough,but better than nothing.

• Like 2

The gas station that you mention is renowned for short changing people. It happened to me in there about 4 years ago and never been back since.

Again it was a 1000 baht note for 180 bahts worth of petrol. The guy plonked a bundle of 100 baht notes in my hand with an odd 20 baht in the hope that I would just place the change in my pocket and drive off. But I counted the notes in front of him and it was 100 baht short. The little man was about to walk off, then I grabbed his arm and without a word I stared him in the eye with my hand out. He knew. Suddenly he opened his hand and a miracle, there was my additional 100 baht change.

I always count my change and also try to avoid handing over 1000 baht notes for small purchases whenever possible, although I do understand there are times when we only have large value notes on us.

After the third time this happened to me at that same gas station, I never went back. Different attendants each time, and very surly when I pointed out the mistake. It was the only gas station I was ever short-changed in the Chiang Mai area. One other station managed to put in 8 more liters than my gas tank could hold... I never went back there either.

For it to be intentional, you have to be very, very unlucky. It is far more likely to happen in the West.

What in the UK, where you have to pump your own? biggrin.png

Actually, I've never been short changed at a gas station here. As for the pump already running, I always get out, undo the petrol cap myself and look at the pump clock before saying how much I want.

We will never go to that gas station again either. We didn't have a change experience. We asked for 91 and the guy put in 95. I got out of the car and said that we wanted 91. The guy said it was 91 and really acted like he didn't give a sh*t. We paid the 95 price per liter so we were pretty sure we were right. Never again.

what gas station you guys refering too?

A station on the south-west side outside the moat, not far from the Chinese Consulate was where I was repeatedly short-changed. And it was a station near DK Books that managed to put more gas into my tank than it could actually hold. It's my habit to always fill up, rather than to purchase 200 baht or 500baht. I cruised into the station on fumes, and received more than the tank's rated size, and more than I'd ever been able to get in before. I didn't argue that one with them. I just never went back.

You need to check your change EVERYWHERE not just gas stations,

My local hardware shop has tried to diddle me 3 times,buy something

for say 267bht as example ,give 1000Bht note, she gives change for 500BHT.

So now I hold the 500bht,1000bht in the air and show it to the whole shop

before handing it over,AND still count the change carefully,3 times cannot

be a mistake,must be a nice little earner for her.

regards Worgeordie

I've paid for gas thousands of times in Thailand and have never once been shortchanged. Can it happen? Sure, usually by legit mistake. For it to be intentional, you have to be very, very unlucky. It is far more likely to happen in the West.

'Legit mistake'? Yeah, right. It may not be apparent to those wearing rose-tinted glasses, but they know exactly what they're doing and it's been happening more and more regularly, including 7-11s and hardware stores (outer ring road, north of city). Occasionally, though very rarely, I've had too much (always point it out), but it is overwhelmingly in their favour. Even the banks do it, albeit at the satang level. Try this op: go back there and try getting away with paying less and see the reaction.

• Like 1

7-11's and the tesco express have ceiling cameras that record every transaction at the counter. The clerks must keep all money in view of that camera. Watch how some actually hold a big bill up so it can be recorded. Its company policy.

I've had much the same happen, but at a different location.

Only had a 1000 note, was filling my motorsai with maybe 120 B total to fill the tank.

Pump attendant made a big show of counting the bills, nung loi, song loi.....etc. Counted them 3 times (which I thought quite odd).

Handed me the wad of notes and walked off.

I immediately counted- 100 short.

I yelled at him "Hey" and motioned him back.

As he approached I just stuck out my hand, palm up.

100 B note was in my palm in the blink of an eye.....whistling.gif

• Like 1

A friend recently encountered the scam at a well-known petrol-station extremely-close to Ma-Jo University, paid for 500B-worth of diesel, but got much less.

And a 7-11 gave me change from 500B, when I'd given them a thousand-Baht note, it happens and you always need to be aware.

Caveat Emptor ! thumbsup.gif

I've learned to roughly estimate the relation between the fuel meter in my car and the number of liters, so instead of 'fill her up' I just tell them an amount of money. Requires a bit of noting in the beginning but eliminates the problem nicely.

Short-changing happens at many places. The entrance fee booth at Wat Pathat Doi Suthep is one - they must make boatloads of money given the number of visitors.

Edited by weary
  • Like 1

I've paid for gas thousands of times in Thailand and have never once been shortchanged. Can it happen? Sure, usually by legit mistake. For it to be intentional, you have to be very, very unlucky. It is far more likely to happen in the West.

I've paid for petrol thousands of times too and been shortchanged once. It was on Samui.

I don't think it was any coincidence that my shortchanging and the OP's shortchanging both occurred in fully-blown tourist areas. Tourists are far more likely to fail to notice and far less likely to come back and complain.

We will never go to that gas station again either. We didn't have a change experience. We asked for 91 and the guy put in 95. I got out of the car and said that we wanted 91. The guy said it was 91 and really acted like he didn't give a sh*t. We paid the 95 price per liter so we were pretty sure we were right. Never again.

Snap....same thing happened to me there a few years ago, the GF was rightly p**sed off and we just sat there for about 5 mins....didn't do any good. What could we do? Never been there since!

i must be lucky,in eight years in,ive never had a proplem at petrol stations when buying petrol,i usually only get 500bhts worth nearly every time,there is a self service petrol station on the moat if it is handy for you,though even that i suppose u could be short changed,but not get incorrect fuel,

Not only check your change,but also check that the pump is set to Zero,I've been done twice. And only realised my petrol guage was well down for 600 bahts worth.Once I went back and they gave me 150 bahts back,which was probably not enough,but better than nothing.

The last time they tried that on me, I pointed it out to the boy and he said, "Oh, sorry. I think you pay for man in front you." laugh.png

If I knew I could get away with it, I would have hit him in the throat and drove off.

• Like 2

The last time they tried that on me, I pointed it out to the boy and he said, "Oh, sorry. I think you pay for man in front you." laugh.png

If I knew I could get away with it, I would have hit him in the throat and drove off.

Worst part is they never see that they make a small gain today by cheating,and lost my business forever!

"Because of the King's birthday today the banks were closed and I couldn't change my 1000 baht notes into smaller bills"

Do what the Thai's do, buy a 5 baht choc bar in 7/11 and get change.

That indeed is a solution to get smaller notes, however I've been short changed in 7/11's
  • Like 1