Best Rock Band Of All Time On Letterman - Led Zeppelin

keemapoot

They were a great band indeed, but IMO, the Beatles were a better rock band and the Rolling Stones were a better hard rock band. I would call Led Zeppelin the greatest heavy metal band of all times and probably the 3rd best rock band of all time. thumbsup.gif

A friend of mine was one of the most famous Rock promoters in the USA. He handled and knew every band. His house was like a rock museum with signed electric guitars and gold records on all the walls. In his opinion, The Who were the best rock band of all time, and were the best performers with the best show of all rock bands.

They were a great band indeed, but IMO, the Beatles were a better rock band and the Rolling Stones were a better hard rock band. I would call Led Zeppelin the greatest heavy metal band of all times and probably the 3rd best rock band of all time. thumbsup.gif

A friend of mine was one of the most famous Rock promoters in the USA. He handled and knew every band. His house was like a rock museum with signed electric guitars and gold records on all the walls. In his opinion, The Who were the best rock band of all time, and were the best performers with the best show of all rock bands.

In the eye of the beholder I say.

led zeppelin were like jimi hendrix in that they opened a new dimension (heavy metal) while staying with rock music's traditional roots in the blues...

I'm not a big fan of heavy metal but I still like to shout like Robert Plant in the intro to 'I can't quit you, babe'...

(tutsi stands up and hollers with post-coital exuberance while his paramour cowers under the covers...)

From someone who should know better it seems you are just playing with words.There is of course no "best rock band ever"but to describe the Beatles as the best seems to be missing the point .They are probably the most important and innovative band of rock but they were never a great performance band.The subjective title of" best rock band ever" should go to a LIVE band that totally blew you into another dimension,[drugs or not] So just of the top of my head i would suggest Cream ; MC5 ; Led Zepplin ; Motorhead ; The Clash ; The Ramones etc. My choice would be Cream but i wouldn't be that dogmatic about it

performers as opposed to artists?...performing artists? artistic performers...oh, well...

I was fortunate and saw a lot of shows in the late 60's and early 70's but never did see led zep, the Doors or jimmi hendrix...jimi and jim morrison weren't around for very long, unfortunately...

but if ever I have the chance to sell my soul I'd trade it to be in the audience during the live performance of Crossroads on Cream's Wheels of Fire album...every note of the mad guitar solo is etched in by brain somehow...if you listen carefully they were all mad in that recording...

later, when I catch up with Robert Johnson in hell we'll have a lot to discuss...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

The title of the thread refers to the best rock band - not the best live band - and the most important and the most innovative goes a long way in that direction, but I did add a IMO (in my opinion).

Actually the best live band that I ever saw was Jefferson Starship when they were not a real band, but more like Jefferson Airplane with a bunch of friends doing a strange space opera. Later they morphed into a pop band and went downhill.

I never got to see Led Zepplin live, but have no doubt that they would have been amazing.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The title of the thread refers to the best rock band - not the best live band - and the most important and the most innovative goes a long way in that direction, but I did add a IMO (in my opinion).

Actually the best live band that I ever saw was Jefferson Starship when they were not a real band, but more like Jefferson Airplane with a bunch of friends doing a strange space opera. Later they morphed into a pop band and went downhill.

I never got to see Led Zepplin live, but have no doubt that they would have been amazing.

Amazing doesnt do them justice, however on their last tour 1980, they were nothing but a pale imitation of their former selves.

Agree about JS V JA, JA and Hot Tuna, now that what I am talking about, jamming.

Also agree with TW, Cream could do it in the studio and on stage, ask yourself why The Beatles never toured with SP, because they couldnt recreate it on stage.

I suppose you could say that, but that guy had booked, worked with, and seen every important band from the Beatles in the 60s to the early 90s, or so. But I suppose he was referring to "live" performances mostly. I always enjoy reading lists from experts of who the best rock band of all time was, or is. Personally, I'm a Stevie Ray Vaughan fan and also I do love early Cream as was mentioned. Clapton was such a brilliant guitar player who sadly morphed into a pop star. Another of my all-time favorites is Mark Knopfler, and a case could be made for Dire Straits in their heyday, though he was older by then.

I suppose you could say that, but that guy had booked, worked with, and seen every important band from the Beatles in the 60s to the early 90s, or so. But I suppose he was referring to "live" performances mostly. I always enjoy reading lists from experts of who the best rock band of all time was, or is. Personally, I'm a Stevie Ray Vaughan fan and also I do love early Cream as was mentioned. Clapton was such a brilliant guitar player who sadly morphed into a pop star. Another of my all-time favorites is Mark Knopfler, and a case could be made for Dire Straits in their heyday, though he was older by then.

Clapton was such a brilliant guitar player who sadly morphed into a pop star.

Excellent, always good to talk with another of the same opinion, IMHO Clapton did nothing after D&TD, I never understood why he swapt a Gibson for a Fender, his whole tone went to shit, but thats only my opinion.

Listen to this,

• Like 1

Yeah, Eric Clapton is rated #4 greatest guitarist of all time on Rolling Stone's top 100 list. That is purely because of his iconic work with Cream, I'm sure. Jimmy Paige of Led Zep is listed at #9, which i feel is too low. Duane Allman is #2 behind the guitar God Hendrix, which I agree with. Keith Richard is #10 (don't agree), and Knopfler is #27 (also too low).

However, it's interesting that of the top 30 guitarists, there were only 4 in the arguably best bands of all time: Harrison - Beatles, Paige - Zepp, Richards-Stones, and Knopfler - Dire Straits. (Unless you include Allman bros, the Dead, and a few others on that list).

http://www.hotguitarist.com/guitar_artists/guitar_players.htm

recently in saudi I was riding into work one morning with a colleague that had Derek and the Dominos on the car stereo and a lot of it sounded unfamiliar as I had never associated Eric Clapton with slide guitar virtuosity...and I thought: 'Duane Allman?...'

my colleague is an old <deleted> like me, over 60, old and fat with health problems and when I queried he was incredulous: 'it's fookin' Clapton with Derek and the Dominos!...' in his broad yorkshire accent...

he then increased the volume significantly and soon we were racing thru the desert at 160kph...I don't think that he ever heard of the Allman Brothers Band...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

recently in saudi I was riding into work one morning with a colleague that had Derek and the Dominos on the car stereo and a lot of it sounded unfamiliar as I had never associated Eric Clapton with slide guitar virtuosity...and I thought: 'Duane Allman?...'

my colleague is an old <deleted> like me, over 60, old and fat with health problems and when I queried he was incredulous: 'it's fookin' Clapton with Derek and the Dominos!...' in his broad yorkshire accent...

he then increased the volume significantly and soon we were racing thru the desert at 160kph...I don't think that he ever heard of the Allman Brothers Band...

.I don't think that he ever heard of the Allman Brothers Band.

Good Gawd Tutsi thats almost a hanging offence, never heard of The Allmans, probably the only excuse he has is being from Yorkshire.

Its your solemn duty to introduce him to such albums as Bros & Sisters and Live at the Fillmore.

Try this to be going on with,

well...I got a problem with southerners...just like they got a problem with us west coast folks...I sorta lump them together with Lynyrd Skynyrd and fake good 'ol boys with a lot of howling and confederate flag waving...

to Johnny Winter: 'ain't it good enough to be a talented albino guitarist without bein' a texan albino guitarist?...'

and I was born in Nashville and even had a texan girlfriend and goddam was she proud of bein' from Texas...she was a smart gal but not smart enough and horribly affected and professed to not like popular music...didn't even know who Johnny Winter was...but we did like a lot of the same books and films...

(cough,splutter...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

It's all a matter or opinion.

And in my humble opinion they were THE best rock band by a country mile.

Yeah, and the reason I posted the original video was to inform about their being awarded the eminently prestigious Kennedy Center honors. This is an elite club of those who have contributed to American culture. [The Kennedy Center Honors is an annual honor given to those in the performing arts for their lifetime of contributions to American culture]. One does not expect to find Rock bands as honorees. The few Brits who have won in the past: Paul McCartney, Peter Townsend/Roger Daltry (The Who), Julie Andrews, & Andrew Lloyd Webber. So, this is an elite club, especially for non-Americans, and as you can see, even more so for Rockers, as only the Beatles, The Who and Led Zep are represented.

So, this represents an interesting and important argument to their place in history as the arguably best rock band ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Center_Honors