Thailand Plans To Run Chinese High-Speed Railway System

webfact

This project won't even begin to get started until they deal with the fun and games over the land ownership of the track path, along with competition for 'stops' along the way in pork-riddled provincial cities. That alone could take all the time between now and the next technological age.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This project won't even begin to get started until they deal with the fun and games over the land ownership of the track path, along with competition for 'stops' along the way in pork-riddled provincial cities. That alone could take all the time between now and the next technological age.

A very valid aspect. As the government has earlier announced the tracks would be taking new paths around the country, it won't be on pre-existing SRT property.

Insiders with the advanced knowledge of specifically which routes will be constructed will have a field day with land speculation on these areas before the lands are bought up for hi-speed rail. With a trillion baht check-bin, some will reap staggering profits.

As you say also, the squabbling covering all other areas of the land issue will delay this unmercifully.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

What's this about a high-speed rail link to Pattaya five years from now? That totally unnecessary as first we need a nice budget for the BKK - Pitsanulok and a year later to ChiangMai link. Finished as soon as possible around 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 or so. Remember, lots of poor Commuters in ChiangMai desperately waiting for this link

The nearly trillion baht budget should be ample to cover all the projects..... provided it's all spent on the projects.

Partnering Thai and Chinese on a huge construction project is like putting a bowl of candy in a room full of children, alone, and telling them they can have only one piece after they finish taking their nap.

"While China’s growing high-speed network is acclaimed, it is also riddled with safety problems and corruption concerns."
Railway Minister Liu Zhijn

was sacked in February over alleged 'severe violation of discipline'. He

had to face accusations that $121m was embezzled under his eight-year

administration, casting a shadow over the powerful Railway Ministry.

Sheng Guangzu, who followed Zhijn in his role as Railway Minister

When investigators found evidence that nearly $30m of funds budgeted for

the Beijing-Shanghai line was misappropriated in the course of 2010,

they initiated an intense safety review of all projects.

http://www.railway-technology.com/features/feature124824

I'm happy about the highspeed rail.

I'll be thinking of all those hundreds of comfortable passengers as i travel thru the roads of TL, with the millions of other road travelers, all traveling at 60k/h on 2 lane roads that haven't been improved upon since it was laid.

and i'll smile at those highspeed rail travelers, while i'm looking to get around this sugar cane truck carrying 50 tons of cane traveling at 30k/h, taking up 2/3 of both lanes, and travel in what seems to be unending packs, all separated by one kilometer.

Yep, this "infrastructure" should do a lot for the common Thai, and the GDP.

now Y can say "we have high speed rail!"w00t.gif

I should have plenty of time to listen to the reports about it,

while i'm on the road. ermm.gif

Edited by jamhar

A very valid aspect. As the government has earlier announced the tracks would be taking new paths around the country, it won't be on pre-existing SRT property.

Insiders with the advanced knowledge of specifically which routes will be constructed will have a field day with land speculation on these areas before the lands are bought up for hi-speed rail. With a trillion baht check-bin, some will reap staggering profits.

As you say also, the squabbling covering all other areas of the land issue will delay this unmercifully.

Insiders with the advanced knowledge of specifically which routes will

be constructed will have a field day with land speculation

Indeed, Getting early and first hand knowledge of these routs would be priceless, but of course that would be totally illegal.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has denied the

accusation of improper conduct with an executive of Sansiri, a major

land developer.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/535002-thai-pm-yingluck-denies-misconduct-allegation/

• Like 2

Insiders with the advanced knowledge of specifically which routes will

be constructed will have a field day with land speculation

Indeed, Getting early and first hand knowledge of these routs would be priceless, but of course that would be totally illegal.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has denied the

accusation of improper conduct with an executive of Sansiri, a major

land developer.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/535002-thai-pm-yingluck-denies-misconduct-allegation/

Can throw in the 40 year saga of the airport as well into the land speculation mix. An example that even had the Thaksin administration wanting to make it a separate province in order to take the land speculation to unprecedented heights.

• Like 1

As a foreigner living here I am interested in how the Thais are choosing to develop their infrastructure; their choice to use Chinese trains illustrates the rate at which the Chinese are developing new technology. If you visit the website of the Chinese manufacturer BYD (Build Your Dreams) you might be as surprised as I am at how fast China is developing. BYD makes solar cells and energy storage and has fleets of electric taxis, police cars and even electric buses already in operation. Imagine electric Chinese buses in Bangkok or Chiang Mai - that would clear the air and with more solar farms like the one just opened in Chiang Rai, the electricity needn't come from fossil fuels. I'd say, trains included, the faster the Thais embrace Chinese technology, the better.

Yes, the Chinese are indeed smart. Shanghai was the first city in the world to have a trolley bus system. However the equipment and technology was that good old British stuff. Probably because the Brits had some influence in China back then.

Now the Chinese have polished and developed what they learned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Shanghai

Wikipedia seems to have got it's knickers in a twist over where the first trolley bus system was implement. According to Wiki it was Shanghai and it is reported that the service began in 1914. However Leeds and Bradford had a trolley bus system in 1911 and there were systems in Germany before this date.

There was one running in Berlin 32 years earlier in 1882 according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus

I really must stay up later and beat Bagwan to this sort of stuff.