How Many Expats Live In Thailand But Work Out Side Thailand

WilliamCave

I have been out side Thailand now for about 4 months working for an oil company, in canada.

so happy to be going home to my family and friends there my job is over here and i cant wait to get back home to Thailand.

My job requiores that i travel for work and i work usually 3 months on then 3 months off.

Hopefully in a year or to i can stop this and stay-in Thailand full time.

Is there many others in Thailand similar?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been on roughly a 5/5 rotation out of Thailand regularly for about 3 years, prior to that I used to share my home time between UK and Thailand, worked in W Africa for the last 5+ years, the last couple been working in Nigeria,, I think it'd be too long a stretch for me to do 3 month trips although I've considered changing to a 10 on and 5 off rotation,

Ya I do 3 months pipelining in Canada then same over here hard to leave family every time but it's got to be done I think you guys on land rigs and offshore have a good rotation whether it be 28/28 or 5/5 wish I had something like that

I'm supposed to do 10 weeks on, 3 weeks off in Saudi which is pretty standard here for non rig work.

Someone quit so I'm doing double time this time.

At least Bahrain is around the corner which makes it bearable.

Coming in on a tourist visa I guess, so technically Thailand is not where you live, but where you R&R.

Wrong !!! Me and most of the people I know here in LOS works offshore on various rotations,rents an apartment or house here and arrives on an VOA.

If I applied for a proper Visa I wouldn`t feel any different here wink.png !!!

"Me and most of the people I know here in LOS works offshore on various rotations,rents an apartment or house here and arrives on an VOA."

I wouldn't think most working like that would even be eligible for a VOA.

Terry

Why not ???????

"Me and most of the people I know here in LOS works offshore on various rotations,rents an apartment or house here and arrives on an VOA."

I wouldn't think most working like that would even be eligible for a VOA.

Terry

Why not ???????

I meant Visa exempt off course...my bad wub.png ...................................................

Coming in on a tourist visa I guess, so technically Thailand is not where you live, but where you R&R.

So where do i live then if i work 28/28 and work flys me to work overseas and then back to thailand?

I'm here on a retirement visa, but am not retired.

Figure that one out, GH.

Just means your over 50 thats all........know a few guys like that live in Thailand on a retirement visa and work else were

Edited by Soutpeel

I live out of a suitcase and half the time don't know whether I am coming or going, visas, stamps, entry and exit paperwork......The Thai customs officers always ask if I live in Thailand or not, I always tell them "I'm not sure" Don't get stuck behind me in the customs queue. smile.png

3 weeks on 6 days off blink.png

I'm here on a retirement visa, but am not retired.

Figure that one out, GH.

Just means your over 50 thats all........know a few guys like that live in Thailand on a retirement visa and work else were

Thats me too. Been woking rosters out of Thailand for some 15 years now. Varying time scales but last 3 years have been 8 days on 6 off out of Australia.

But i get vacation as well. 28/28 + 4 weeks annual.

How does that work on an even time rotation ?...smile.png

Every 2 years i can take 3 months off. Basically just skip a hitch.

Would rather they just incorporate it into my salary.

I've been doing 3 months on and 2 weeks off for as long as we've had our house...not much longer though 'cause of health problems and being over 60, etc...I've known a number of folks in the new power projects business with the same arrangement based in Thailand and elsewhere in SE Asia, seems to be fairly common...

I usually take 3-6 months off between assignments every 2 years or so...the wife lived with me for 6 years when I was working in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain and briefly in Vietnam but she eventually got sick of it and now stays at home with her family...I've spent most of the past 5 years in saudi and I know she wouldn't be happy there so we stick to the present arrangement...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

But i get vacation as well. 28/28 + 4 weeks annual.

How does that work on an even time rotation ?...smile.png

It's the internet - anyone can make whatever claim they wish............. So long as they don't expect others working the same business to believe them....

Ditto a few others above.

• Like 1

Ya I do 3 months pipelining in Canada then same over here hard to leave family every time but it's got to be done I think you guys on land rigs and offshore have a good rotation whether it be 28/28 or 5/5 wish I had something like that

Another Canuck, I know how it is here hard to leave for so long. If you dont mind me asking were you live in Thailand? I am back in Bkk on Saturday but i live in nontaburi .