Baby, Teachers Among Six Dead In Thai Shootings

webfact

Baby, teachers among six dead in Thai shootings

BANGKOK, Dec 11, 2012 (AFP) - Six people, including a one-year-old girl and two teachers, were gunned down in separate attacks on a teashop and school in Thailand's insurgency-plagued south on Tuesday, police said.

Gunmen sprayed bullets at villagers as they were having breakfast at the teashop in Narathiwat, one of three southern provinces to have suffered nearly nine years of unrest, killing the child, a 25-year-old woman and two men aged 37 and 70.

Four others were injured in the shooting, including a 10-month-old boy.

"We found 62 bullets fired at the scene," local police chief Captain Boonsak Numad told AFP, adding that at least three people were thought to have been behind the violence.

In a second attack later Tuesday, a headmistress and male teacher were shot and killed as they had lunch in the staff cafeteria of a school in Pattani, the latest attack targeting educators.

Police said the group of at least six gunmen stole a school vehicle to make their getaway.

Hundreds of schools in Pattani and Narathiwat have staged brief closures in recent weeks to protest at the risks facing educators, more than 150 of whom have died in the insurgency.

Militants view the school system as an effort by Bangkok to impose Buddhist culture on the Muslim-majority south. Teachers working in non-religious schools are frequently targeted because they are seen as a symbol of government authority.

Thailand's southern unrest has claimed more than 5,300 lives, both Buddhist and Muslim, since it reignited in 2004, with near-daily bomb or gun attacks.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-11

NARATHIWAT

Baby among five killed in teashop shooting

The Nation

30195913-01_big.jpg

Photo : Charoon Thongnual

NARATHIWAT: -- Violence continued in the deep south province of Narathiwat's Rangae district on Tuesday as insurgents fired bullets into a tea shop, killing four including a 11monthold baby and injuring four others.

The baby was identified as Ephani Samoh. The other victims were Kabaree Hoh, 37, Pangor Nimae, 74 and Ameesi Jehdoh, 23. They succumbed to gunshots wounds to the head and body.

Piyawat Mong, the owner of the house that was used as teashop, said that a pickup truck with three men in the back stopped outside the teashop while his wife; Kamera Mama, was selling food and beverages at about 7am.

The men in the back then opened fire, spraying bullets around the teashop, which is usually crowded at that time of day. They then sped away from the scene. Police found cartridges from assault rifles including M16 and AK47.

Five others who were seriously injured, among them a tenmonthold baby and 74yearold man, were rushed to nearby Rangae Hospital.

Meanwhile some 300 schools reopened on Tuesday after having been closed last week in protest at the government's failure to provide security and safety for the educational personnel.

The reopening was implemented amidst tight security. The protest came after a female school director; Nuntana Kaewchan, 51, in Pattani was gunned down just 100 metres from her school last month.

Nuntana of Banta Kamcham School was shot in the face and torso by two men hiding near a fence of the school as she was driving her car to the funeral of a police officer.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-11

Bunch of evil bastards & killing their fellow Muslim civilians. Their was an article in the BKK Post today quoting an anonymous intelligence source saying it's forecast the level of extreme violence is going to escalate 2013. Alleged in the article is the militants/terrorist groups are recruiting from a large pool of unemployed youths.

Just have to hope that the politicians and the military will finally some up with a workable strategy to get all the parties actively participating to achieve peace in the region. Based on their record to date does not look good for the population of the Deep South - Muslim & non Muslim.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

religion of peace ?? my ar*e , MURDERERS! ,.........negotiation , sharing , integrating , compromise anyone ?.........nahhh, lets just kill until we get what we want , whatever is ours is ours and what ever isn't ours we want that too , if it means killing babies and kids no problem , this is how we are and how we live , ...............i mean its not like muslim countries are involved in many wars is it ? if we haven't got a war ,sometimes we kill each other cos we couldn't find enough infidels to kill, so much so that we now travel the world to find and kill kids and babies ...............go in peace !, Allah be praised ! happy xmas

I am so sick of hearing them for the past umpteen months and every other day that too, saying "Security being tightened" ....WTH.... This is just totally insane and all the Government cronies , Army & Police and whatever should all be ashamed of themselves for not having this under control by now... No! of course not ... Many much more important things to do ..... Indict each other, rewrite the constitution, Get Mr. T back into Thailand, stop the investigation into the Rice Scam etc...It's totally sickening and here again the Thais just sit back and keep quiet .. Amazing Thailand for sure ...

• Like 1

Time to send in the army and just blow them all away, this is bullshit, killing innocent people in the name of your god, what a load of crap.

Blow all who away, Women, children, monks, ect ect. as in them all? Edited by dcutman

Bunch of evil bastards & killing their fellow Muslim civilians. Their was an article in the BKK Post today quoting an anonymous intelligence source saying it's forecast the level of extreme violence is going to escalate 2013. Alleged in the article is the militants/terrorist groups are recruiting from a large pool of unemployed youths.

Just have to hope that the politicians and the military will finally some up with a workable strategy to get all the parties actively participating to achieve peace in the region. Based on their record to date does not look good for the population of the Deep South - Muslim & non Muslim.

Maybe the Palestine's could come here and help getting a truce or help in getting peace in the South

Simple1, Foz & Ratcatcher....you beat me to the start. This is terrible "news" and as

I predicted some time back...it is getting worse. What makes it even sadder is that

the person who is supposed to be in charge of this mess says that terrorists don't

exist in Thailand and his boss appears to care less about the situation also; even

though she is backing and implementing women's rights in the affected provinces.

Women's rights are neat and all that but there's a clear and present danger many

Thai politico's are just not willing to accept is happening that is/are more important

than women's rights. Without going into repetition regarding my earlier posts on

the "troubles" I will say the situation is a travesty of the government of Thailand

and their inability to see anything past their noses. I offer no solutions save for

a plain to see item which doesn't need to be stated here...not yet anyway.

edited to add an "is/"...

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

Time to send in the army and just blow them all away, this is bullshit, killing innocent people in the name of your god, what a load of crap.

Blow all who away, Women, children, monks, ect ect. as in them all?

Seems the Muslims are already exterminating women, children and monks in a jihad of joyful genocide, allah be praised. As such I suspect the poster may have been referring to said joyful jihadists.

Terrorists need to be eradicated like rats. One of the main problems is that the corrupt politicians are too busy fabricating silly court charges against each other to do their jobs.

There's good meaning in your words Gary...and also a solution if the generals could only read.

Thank you for an intelligent post and I entirely agree with you.

It's clearly now a complex mess down there, and I doubt we will see any quick solutions.

Just have to hope that sanity will eventually prevail.

Terrorists need to be eradicated like rats. One of the main problems is that the corrupt politicians are too busy fabricating silly court charges against each other to do their jobs.

Who defines the terrorists rats ?????

Stupid comment.

Eradicate what ??

The people who live there ?

religion of peace ?? my ar*e , MURDERERS! ,.........negotiation , sharing , integrating , compromise anyone ?.........nahhh, lets just kill until we get what we want , whatever is ours is ours and what ever isn't ours we want that too , if it means killing babies and kids no problem , this is how we are and how we live , ...............i mean its not like muslim countries are involved in many wars is it ? if we haven't got a war ,sometimes we kill each other cos we couldn't find enough infidels to kill, so much so that we now travel the world to find and kill kids and babies ...............go in peace !, Allah be praised ! happy xmas

Nice reference to Christianity, the religion of peace, at the end............

Another god fearing nutter, as if we don't have enough.

Edited by philw

This is really sad news, I asked one of my Thai friends when the government is going to get serious about the trouble down south, he just took a deep breath, shook his head and replied "never". The governments inaction caused by an unwillingness to do anything about this problem that seems to be growing down south is now costing the lives of innocents, perhaps it will take a member of the current administration to be attacked for something substantial to happen, that is if they can ever actually admit there is a problem!

Say that now, then so many complain about incidents like Tak Bai. I agree though. These losers only comprehend one language. Extermination. There is no middle ground or middle of the road solution.

Edited by F430murci

The terrorists who carried out this latest atrocity are scum, nothing more. They should be held to account for their chicken shit cowardly murders. However to blame all Muslims for their crimes is wrong. What these scum do is not motivated by religion but by hatred and an indifference to life in general. You can't blame Islam for the crimes of these scum and I say this as an atheist.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How about starting to punish some Thai generals for the Takbae incident?How about starting to accept the religion,culture and history of those"terrorists"The Thai education system teaches only about history of Thailand,Bangkok,the Thais just ignore everything.The local language in the south is yawee[a malay dialect]they are forcing the kids to speak thai and learn about thai culture only..They force muslims to say buddhist prayers and wear thai style clothes.These are the reasons why school get burned down or teachers get killed.They force them to change their names in thai sounding names.

Army or poilice come at night into muslim houses and take the sons away.Army and police torture them and kill them.Neevr anybody of army or police got punished for their doing.They building buddhist temples in predominantly muslim areas.They let muslims bow in front of buddha statues or pictures of the king,which is an offence to their religion,the army searches muslim houses with dogs,just to insult the muslim religion.

You will not build peace as long politicians,police and army go free for their state crimes.

I'm non religious,but thought some facts should be said

• Like 2

How about starting to punish some Thai generals for the Takbae incident?How about starting to accept the religion,culture and history of those"terrorists"The Thai education system teaches only about history of Thailand,Bangkok,the Thais just ignore everything.The local language in the south is yawee[a malay dialect]they are forcing the kids to speak thai and learn about thai culture only..They force muslims to say buddhist prayers and wear thai style clothes.These are the reasons why school get burned down or teachers get killed.They force them to change their names in thai sounding names.

Army or poilice come at night into muslim houses and take the sons away.Army and police torture them and kill them.Neevr anybody of army or police got punished for their doing.They building buddhist temples in predominantly muslim areas.They let muslims bow in front of buddha statues or pictures of the king,which is an offence to their religion,the army searches muslim houses with dogs,just to insult the muslim religion.

You will not build peace as long politicians,police and army go free for their state crimes.

Tak Bai was a crude method at eradicating terrorism resulting in bad publicity which has in turn led to ineffective polIcies for confronting terrorist activities. It is a balancing. When will enough innocent women and children be killed to sway public opinion and emotions sufficiently where public will tolerate the manner and level of engagement to eradicate the terrorism?

The politicizing created by polar politics keeps Thailand paralzed for purposes of appropriate and efficient response to terrorism.

Edited by F430murci

Agree with a lot of what you say ( I think the dogs are used because of their olfactory skills, rather than as an insult) but they are still not reason enough for attacks on civilians. You want to fight the state then fight their military agencies. Murdering teahers and children is cowardly and unforgivable. Terrorists are scum.

• Sad 1

Blow all who away, Women, children, monks, ect ect. as in them all?

Seems the Muslims are already exterminating women, children and monks in a jihad of joyful genocide, allah be praised. As such I suspect the poster may have been referring to said joyful jihadists.

I think you should mean loonies but good for you to add more hate.

Thank Christ for people as open minded as you.................

• Like 1

Nice reference to Christianity, the religion of peace, at the end............

Another god fearing nutter, as if we don't have enough.

You are a nitpicker..aren't you?

A liberal, I presume......

Liberal christian, and you ???