I-Mobile Iq1 - Questions

happysoul

Hello,

As I didn't want to mess up in an other thread read just below, I started this one.

This is my first android phone (was on symbian before) and really appreciate this IQ1.

I saw in the other thread that someone had rooted the IQ1. Could you explain to a android newbie how to do that. I would like to have titanium backup working and rooting is needed ?

Also, when downloading new apps, they get installed on the phone memory and not the external SD although that I have the settings in the "storage" menu to external SD ? Is that normal ?

Love to "learn" this phone, big change in everything compared to symbian !

Cheers

Hello,

As I didn't want to mess up in an other thread read just below, I started this one.

This is my first android phone (was on symbian before) and really appreciate this IQ1.

I saw in the other thread that someone had rooted the IQ1. Could you explain to a android newbie how to do that. I would like to have titanium backup working and rooting is needed ?

Also, when downloading new apps, they get installed on the phone memory and not the external SD although that I have the settings in the "storage" menu to external SD ? Is that normal ?

Love to "learn" this phone, big change in everything compared to symbian !

Cheers

You can use the app 'apps2sd' from the play store.

Can't personally see any reason to root the phone it has no bloatware.

if you have a look at the Facebook page i-mobile Android fan club it gives info about rooting. It's not a simple process. Be careful:)

sent from my Q6

I saw in the other thread that someone had rooted the IQ1. Could you explain to a android newbie how to do that.

[tut] [root] [mt6577] [cwmr] rooting the latest 'unrootable' mt6575/ 77 XDA developers

Can't personally see any reason to root the phone it has no bloatware.
  1. ADAWAY
  2. ADAWAY
  3. ADAWAY
  4. Titanium Backup
  5. Root Explorer
  6. Customizations
  7. and some other useful apps...wink.png

EDIT: I can upload the rooted "boot.img" and CWM "recovery.img" for IQ1 later this day.

So you just need to flash it.

Edited by vel_tins

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Was searching on XDA forum when reading your post. Followed the link and will try it out. Tried superoneclick but it doesn't seem to work (prog freezes).

I'll try to follow the instruction of "tut" and see what I can do. Looks not that easy though... Will update the post if I get to root it.

Thank you for your help, cheers

Thank you very much for your files. These android phones are amazing, crazy what some people do out of them... But I'm way far from that. Getting info on how to flash (sorry, real noob here ! :-)). But a lot of info on the web if the connection I use will let me get it ;-)

Downloading SP flash tool for now... Have to go on the balcony to have a better connection :-)

Come back later... when the phone will be dead :-)))

Hello again,

The phone isn't dead yet !

Look's like SP flash doesn't find the phone (see printscreen). I "loaded" the scatter file and then press download (as read on a forum), looks like nothing happens. Don't know where is the issue.

post-129129-0-27405700-1355465253_thumb.

The phone as "usb debugging" mode on (as well as "usb connected" as i can't turn it off but it's the internal sd and not the phone memory). I am on win7 64b. Don't know if windows is a problem... Might get the old laptop out with win vista to see if it's better ?

Not easy to do !

This has nothing to do with ADB.

And I used Win7/64 too.

1. Turn the phone completely off (maybe remove the battery and put it back). Don't start the phone!
  2. Start SP-Flashtool, load the scatter file etc... Click download.
  3. Now connect the phone with the USB-Cable to your PC, but don't start the phone!
  4. Now, a "found new Hardware" notification should come up, asking for drivers.
  5. The needed drivers are in the sub-folder "driver\Win7" in your Sp-Flashtool directory.
  6. Install the drivers and repeat the "phone completely off - connect via USB" procedure. This should work

Well... improving but not to the best yet... Had the usb of wireless mouse plugged in. Removed it and made windows look for "MT66xx Preloader" driver. Could not find it. Nothing in the SP folder either. So went for a search on the web and found an .exe to install it. Run it and started the procedure. An error came up :

post-129129-0-58736500-1355478427_thumb.

So rebooted the computer. Tried again the procedure and plugged the phone in another usb port. Now windows doesn't find the driver again :

post-129129-0-76353000-1355478766_thumb.

Getting closer but still miss a part :-))

Thank's for your input and files... I installed some drivers found on the web (Preloader USB VCOM (android)) and don't know if it's because of that that messes up everything. Cannot get rid of them. When I unistall them (usbdeview.exe) and then run SP F T and connect the phone, windows installs them again. I tried to "add legacy software" in device manager and installed "Media Tek DA USB VCOM" on a specific usb port but even so windows takes the preloader driver first.

Pod hua mak, gives headaches ! :-))))

Maybe will work tomorrow... I will keep updates if anything changes.

Thank's all for the help, much appreciated !

Much better now :

post-129129-0-93217800-1355538823_thumb.

It was that preload driver that wasn't ok. In fact windows had 2 of them but was always choosing the bad one. Got windows to take the right one. Good for that.

But.... the phone isn't rooted. Back on the web to see if I missed smth.

Cheers and thanks again for helping !

But.... the phone isn't rooted

My mistake...Altzheimertongue.png

The boot.img from me, is a modified unlocked/unsecured bootloader, which makes it possible to successfully root the device with nearly any method.

I used the MtkDroidTools from here to root it.

You can't root the IQ1 with the stock boot.img.

But never mind, at least it works.

Does the CWM recovery work for you?

Sorry for late answer... went to do the things i should have done yesterday :-))

To answer you the answer is yes... but what is the question ? Seriously thanks a lot for your help would not have achieved it it without you. For your question (where is the coma ?) what is CW... ?? I know what is Leo and you merit one !

Cheers !!

• 2 weeks later...
I have the IQ1. It is good.

Can I upgrade this phone to the new Android version when it comes out?

According to the I-mobile Android fan club on Facebook the IQ series should get JB (jellybean) in 1st quarter 2013.

sent from my Q6

Hello,

Good phone up to now. Tv is for me useless, they could remove it for a better battery life. As a first smartphone don't know if it's normal but charge every day and with "heavy" use (internet, music and calls) i need to charge it after half a day or so.

Hardware wise is good.

Hello,

Good phone up to now. Tv is for me useless, they could remove it for a better battery life. As a first smartphone don't know if it's normal but charge every day and with "heavy" use (internet, music and calls) i need to charge it after half a day or so.

Hardware wise is good.

Check your setting. Turn off auto update. And if your inside most of the time reduce your screen brightness. You will find the battery will improve after a few charges. Also note that on Android the apps stay open in the background so close them using the return button rather than the home button. I also use a ram booster that closes apps at a preset interval. Smart Ram booster. Also if on 3G only turn on when you want it. You can get app widgets to make that easier. Most of the time I will get a full day from 7am to about 10pm with medium usage if heavier then to about 6-7pm (but that is pretty heavy internet etc)

sent from my Q6

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys for all the info on how to root an IQ1. It took about an hour to figure it out but I got it. My main reason for root access was enabling the native sip client in Android. Simply add the attached android.software.sip.voip.xml (make sure to rename properly) to system\etc\permissions\ with a root explorer and reboot. Now you'll have an internet calling option in the phone app settings which works over WIFI and 2G. Haven't tested 3G yet. If that doesn't work it requires a modification of framework-res.apk. Cheers from a happy user!

android.software.sip.voip.txt

Edited by AgentSmith

Now I can confirm the native sip client also works over 3G without any further modification which saves a lot of hassle.

Does anyone know if the unlock and root method in this thread also works with the IQ2?

Edited by AgentSmith
  • Like 1