How Fast Are Honda 125 Scooters?

rene123

My Yamaha Mio125GTX does an indicated 105, 110 down hill

A Click 125I i rode last week hit 110 on a flat and that was it's maximum, never going to hit 120kmh on it like mentioned on the previous page.

Even cruising at 80kmh you really will want to upgrade the Suspension, tyres and brakes if you're carrying some extra bulk, like me.... :D

The biggest mistake Thai's will make is to over inflate your front tyres, this is great for reducing friction/drag of the tyres, but if you need to grab the front brake, you may as well have marble tyres fitted.

Agree about the over inflation. Had a rear tyre blow out on me when I hit a pot hole a while back, not pleasant.

As for the 120kph by the Wave 125i I was pretty surprised as well, but if my Nouvo 110 can (eventually) hit 110kph with a passenger then a 125 with a solo rider hitting 120 seems reasonable enough, especially given the Wave has a chain and manual gears which I'd imagine equals less driveline loss than the autos...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Click 125I i rode last week hit 110 on a flat and that was it's maximum, never going to hit 120kmh on it like mentioned on the previous page.

Even cruising at 80kmh you really will want to upgrade the Suspension, tyres and brakes if you're carrying some extra bulk, like me.... biggrin.png

The biggest mistake Thai's will make is to over inflate your front tyres, this is great for reducing friction/drag of the tyres, but if you need to grab the front brake, you may as well have marble tyres fitted.

Agree about the over inflation. Had a rear tyre blow out on me when I hit a pot hole a while back, not pleasant.

As for the 120kph by the Wave 125i I was pretty surprised as well, but if my Nouvo 110 can (eventually) hit 110kph with a passenger then a 125 with a solo rider hitting 120 seems reasonable enough, especially given the Wave has a chain and manual gears which I'd imagine equals less driveline loss than the autos...

No doubt at all about the Wave hitting those speeds, but the my post was in reply to someone who claims the 'completely new' Click can hit 120kmh... :)

First thing i do if a mechanic services my bike or repairs a flat, is get my tyre pressure gauge out and deflate the tyres. A rock hard front tyre will not deform and will lock too easily.

But back on topic, 80-90kmh is plenty on these flimsy bikes with skinny tyres, so any of the current models will suffice :)

It's always interesting to see 'What She Will Do'.....so I did the other day. 105 from a PCX150 isn't all that good. But I had to back off as the GF was yelling in my ear something about not being able to hang on to the extension ladder much longer. I would have thought holding a 10 litre paint drum in the other hand would help balance the load...but apparently not!

• Like 2

Except for those of us speaking in GPS terms, we can be misleading ourselves with regard to top speeds. I've ridden new bikes (Lifan 250 Cruiser, accurate) whose speedometers read 12% off (Honda Click-i,) from each other when compared by a Garmin Nuvi and tires were inflated properly. Almost always, the errors exceed 5%, very often more with this class of bike.

Weight of riders (payload) in these low powered bikes makes a great difference, easily up to 10%. We vary more than the bikes themselves, generally, in terms of weight that's reducing fuel mileage.

Accurate statements above include mention of Spark 135 (add a light rider and you have something). For acceleration among the 125 injected class, the new Click-i is remarkable, but high speed is limited by and the realities of power needed by little bikes related to cubic relationship to wind resistance. A true 100 speaks to a lightweight rider with these machines and optimal conditions, such as no adverse winds.

Edited by CMX

My wave 125i (latest model) hits 100km gps (110 indicated) only when driving single and with a lot of patience.

It can go faster by changing sprockets as by default it's geared for mileage.

My old click 110 does 100 km/h indicated but this speedo overindicates a whopping 13% as on gps this is only high 80's...

It's just numbers, just for 10km/h extra (when already going 100) you'd need a lot more power (maybe 30 - 40%), and the power difference between those different model bikes is nowhere that big.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Our honda PCX 125 is maxing at about 110kph, the Honda PCX 150 I Don't think I'd get it up to 120kph, maybe 115 if im lucky, but certainly gets up there a bit faster than the 125

Going by what Monty posted your probably doing less than a 100 on the 125. In Oz were I used to live the motor manufacturers and importers factor in a minus 5% error so your speedo is reading 100 and your only doing 95. Why? So they won't get sued by consumers who get multiple speeding fines.....who blame the manufacturers for speedo error going over the 100 limit. Under the Federal weights and measures regulations speedos can have 10% error factor......but the states ignore this and have a 3kph tolerance over the limit before the cameras start clicking.

Even cruising at 80kmh you really will want to upgrade the Suspension, tyres and brakes if you're carrying some extra bulk, like me.... biggrin.png

Talking of which, why is it that Thais aren't accurate with their tyre pressures? I carry a British tyre gauge with me all the time and have checked peoples tyres for them, amazingly, I hve seen pressures of OVER 50psi on Waves and such like, when going by the recommended pressures for my Spark, they should be 33 rear 29 front. No wonder we see so many stupid accidents here. Oh I forgot, motorbikes are only bicycles with an engine...blink.png

]Talking of which, why is it that Thais aren't accurate with their tyre pressures? I carry a British tyre gauge with me all the time and have checked peoples tyres for them, amazingly, I hve seen pressures of OVER 50psi on Waves and such like, when going by the recommended pressures for my Spark, they should be 33 rear 29 front. No wonder we see so many stupid accidents here. Oh I forgot, motorbikes are only bicycles with an engine...blink.png

I dont know if it is that they are not accurate or if they want it that high

purposely

I have handed the hose at gas stations to the next person waiting.

I already have the machine set to 31 psi & I see them ( Thai's )

turn it up to like 42+psi

They seem to like it rock hard or maybe they carry 5 people :)

]Talking of which, why is it that Thais aren't accurate with their tyre pressures? I carry a British tyre gauge with me all the time and have checked peoples tyres for them, amazingly, I hve seen pressures of OVER 50psi on Waves and such like, when going by the recommended pressures for my Spark, they should be 33 rear 29 front. No wonder we see so many stupid accidents here. Oh I forgot, motorbikes are only bicycles with an engine...blink.png

purposely

They seem to like it rock hard or maybe they carry 5 people :)

Tyres last longer, it's that simple

Try a braking test with tyres at 29 and another with them at 59psi

The less rubber you leave on the ground, you might only have to

Buy tyres every couple of years

Motorcycle taxis all keep their tyres hard and upgrade. The shocks to yss

smile.png I know that sounds good but it is not true.

Yes a hard tire does offer less rolling resistance but that is all the benefit you will see.

When over inflated the contact patch will be reduced...hence your idea about less rubber.

But, it reduced the footprint at the expense or traction/grip on imperfect roads.

Also over inflated tires wear unevenly & lead to accelerated wear in center section

Under inflated tires are just as bad in other ways.

Damage to alloy rims, tire squirm, added heat build up all leading to

less traction & predictability & less tire life too.

Folks design tires with a range engineered in given compound of rubber used

tread design etc. The tires work "optimally" in this range.

Traction/grip on imperfect surfaces are my main concern with tires.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Yes a hard tire does offer less rolling resistance but that is all the benefit you will see.

When over inflated the contact patch will be reduced...hence your idea about less rubber.

But, it reduced the footprint at the expense or traction/grip on imperfect roads.

Also over inflated tires wear unevenly & lead to scalloping

If you run your tyres hard they do last longer, but at the expense of grip

If you run then softer they wear out faster but braking is much improved

If I have hard compound tyredin the wet , I have to reduce pressure or they won't grip

When I need to use brakes

If I have hard compound tyredin the wet , I have to reduce pressure or they won't grip

The bike also goes faster.

Less contact with the road = less friction = higher top speed.

(all the boy racers with specially skinny tyres know that)

The bike also goes faster.

Less contact with the road = less friction = higher top speed.

(all the boy racers with specially skinny tyres know that)

Maybe 1 or 2 kph faster. However, punching holes in the exhaust system, or removing the mufflers (HD drivers) , will create more noise so the driver might think the bike is going faster. tongue.png

My little 17 year old Honda Tena 110cc 2 stroke pulls to an indicated 125kph with me bolt upright in my florescent bib, which is the reason I have decided to keep it even though I have bought a new Yamaha Spark.

The power of 2 stroke!

Not so economical though, burns around 3 times more petrol per km then an injected wave!

purposely

They seem to like it rock hard or maybe they carry 5 people smile.png

Actually, in my experience it's so they don't have to put more air in every few days. Putting the exact right amount of air in simply means they'll be under inflated within a couple of days. But if you but 45psi in then you don't have to worry about it for a few weeks, i have found myself doing this a lot lately.

purposely

They seem to like it rock hard or maybe they carry 5 people smile.png

Actually, in my experience it's so they don't have to put more air in every few days. Putting the exact right amount of air in simply means they'll be under inflated within a couple of days. But if you but 45psi in then you don't have to worry about it for a few weeks, i have found myself doing this a lot lately.

Get tubeless ones

They are a lot better for some reason

The pcx doesn't lose pressure by itself but the fino

Before it did

My little 17 year old Honda Tena 110cc 2 stroke pulls to an indicated 125kph with me bolt upright in my florescent bib, which is the reason I have decided to keep it even though I have bought a new Yamaha Spark.

The power of 2 stroke!

Not so economical though, burns around 3 times more petrol per km then an injected wave!

Agreed. I keep a check on my Tena and she gets 30-32 kms to the litre. My Park might get double that, but I would fall asleep with boredom. I am just amazed how good the little Tena still is, compared with my poor handling "new" Yamaha Spark.

... I was just curious about what seemed to be souped up scooters. ...

Vespa 300 will do close to 140kph.

I am constantly checking my mirrors and yet I still get surprised sometimes.

..and therein lies the secret. On a motorcycle the key is to go a bit faster than the traffic around you. Then you are in control of the situation and no one can creep up behind you.

That is about the stupidest post I have ever read in this forum. A motor cyclist wanting to travel faster than the fastest car. Sheer lunacy. By the way, are you Thai?

... I was just curious about what seemed to be souped up scooters. ...

Vespa 300 will do close to 140kph.

I am constantly checking my mirrors and yet I still get surprised sometimes.

..and therein lies the secret. On a motorcycle the key is to go a bit faster than the traffic around you. Then you are in control of the situation and no one can creep up behind you.

That is about the stupidest post I have ever read in this forum. A motor cyclist wanting to travel faster than the fastest car. Sheer lunacy. By the way, are you Thai?

Obviously you cannot read and don't ride much. Otherwise you would firstly have seen it said "the safest way" and secondly "the traffic around you" in a response to the guy who said he is constantly checking his mirrors. That you do not realize I am correct is non of my concern. As to being stupid, if you were more open minded or rode a bike that can actually travel faster than the traffic you would know that I am correct. If the traffic is doing say 120 then as a motorcyclist the safest way to ride is at 125 or more. That way when you encounter traffic it will be in front of you and you can control your interaction with it, pass at will etc.

Of course there may be the odd road user travelling faster but they will not be as many as if you were travelling slower than the traffic around you. This does mean of course that the bike has to be capable of more than the 1speed of the traffic. In urban traffic the same rules apply except the speed is reduced. Have you never noticed that in countries that have much more strict traffic rules than Thailand, the police will ignore motorcyclists riding in this fashion as they know the reason why.

Again, that you do not understand this fact does not make it wrong or stupid. This is in a way like having to explain a joke to a dim person.

As it is a slow Sunday and I didn't go riding today I spent 5 minutes surfing and came up with a few tidbits precised to the important bits.

...Ride with confidence and assertiveness, but not aggressiveness or timidness. An assertive motorcyclist leads others....

Watch out for that invisible bubble in traffic. Whenever possible, accelerate to large open spots on the road that possess the sparsest number of vehicles,

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Of course there may be the odd road user travelling faster but they will not be as many as if you were travelling slower than the traffic around you.

What you are saying is basically correct & how I have always ridden street bikes.

I think the person your responding to does not understand the concept.

The way I usually explain it is that I am moving "with" the flow of traffic never hindering it.

As you also say & which I quoted above there will be those that are just going much faster than the

flow of traffic or faster than prudent for a give road or situation

& those need to be watched & they are in fact easily spotted by alert riders.

I know I can tell when a fast moving object is closing fast from behind so I position accordingly

always leaving myself an out/exit from harms way

• Like 1

Maybe the fact that I mentioned this in a 125 scooter thread where one cannot ride the way I described added to the confusion? Locals don't usually ride that far on their scooters. If going far they catch the bus or get a minivan.

Edited by VocalNeal

I understand what VocalNeal is saying and I try to do just as he says. I ride faster where I can and it is still safe to do so. I also try to get ahead of the groups of vehicles which he calls a "bubble" in the traffic. But, no matter how fast your vehicle is there will ALWAYS be someone who is faster and more reckless. And, unlike North America where faster vehicles will actually USE the passing lane, the Thais in their trucks will ride the line between lanes and a come as close as possible to a motorbike or other vehicle when they pass. They also tailgate so close at high speed that you couldn't fit anything between them. When I see one of those idiots I try to stay as far left as possible. But it's not always possible because I might be passing a lane of slower moving trucks. I try to stay in the truck lane as much as possible except when passing. However, the truck lanes are often full of ruts and broken pavement that bounces a motorbike around.

"At least if an elephant or a cement mixer comes outta nowhere.."

At the same time, which would be unusual! But the police investigators would have a hard time forgetting the incident and could cement their case as a 1 in a million accident.

It really depends on the road conditions

A Thai in a merc. Or a jeep might be cruising at 160

I would rather use it for a windbreaker and follow him

Than do 170 to stay in front....

At least if an elephant or a cement mixer comes outta nowhere.. ;-)

I have a hard time imagining a 125 scooter doing 160 km/hr trying to stay up with a pickup.

Elephants, cement mixers and other large heavy objects parked on highways is a common occurrence in Thailand, and one of the reasons why I try to stay somewhere around 100 km/hr. I don't have the testosterone running through my veins like you macho guys.

My original question was what is it that makes some 125 scooters so fast? I know the rentals don't go that quick and most are unstable after about 90 km/hr.