Lamai Dying ?

Boater

Back in 2005 , lamai was packed , every bar was full .. Last time I was there around a year ago , ghost town

Just noticed the famous Irish pub has now reduced it's asking price online , plus the ark bar of lamai is up for sale ...

Is the place slowly becoming lest attractive ? , and people are wanting out ?

Back in 2005 , lamai was packed , every bar was full .. Last time I was there around a year ago , ghost town

Just noticed the famous Irish pub has now reduced it's asking price online , plus the ark bar of lamai is up for sale ...

Is the place slowly becoming lest attractive ? , and people are wanting out ?

Back in 2005 everywhere was busier with the post phuket tsunami bubble we had. It would probaby be the same if you looked at all the other places too and compard them to 2005.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Back in 2005 everywhere was busier with the post phuket tsunami bubble we had.

This.

There are 2 issues in Lamai: One is that many property owners have not been willing to reduce lease prices in line with the reduced tourist numbers.

The second is that Lamai gets very few package tourists, since there are nowhere near the amount of large resorts and large hotel chains in Lamai. When you buy a flight from your travel agent in your home country, they usually give you a list of hotels to choose from. If you don't know anything about the island, most people will choose the one that looks nicest without thinking about the location too much. This means they usually end up in Chaweng (or if they are really unlucky, they end up at Centara Villas in the middle of nowhere).

FWIW I went out for dinner in Lamai last night and everywhere was packed except for Shamrock, so I went in there and had a nice dinner ready in less than 10 minutes.

This.

There are 2 issues in Lamai: One is that many property owners have not been willing to reduce lease prices in line with the reduced tourist numbers.

The second is that Lamai gets very few package tourists, since there are nowhere near the amount of large resorts and large hotel chains in Lamai. When you buy a flight from your travel agent in your home country, they usually give you a list of hotels to choose from. If you don't know anything about the island, most people will choose the one that looks nicest without thinking about the location too much. This means they usually end up in Chaweng (or if they are really unlucky, they end up at Centara Villas in the middle of nowhere).

FWIW I went out for dinner in Lamai last night and everywhere was packed except for Shamrock, so I went in there and had a nice dinner ready in less than 10 minutes.

I don't know anyone under 50 that uses travel agents as apposed to online booking. I know some emerging markets still use this outdated system, but many of them are working out they are being ripped off by the 3rd party and booking themselves.

• Like 1

Not just from travel agents, also from online package deals. There are still good deals available with flight+hotel packages where you end up paying nothing for your hotel.

E.G. A few friends of mine came over for a wedding a few months back. From Perth-Samui was $1250 return with Qantas. They instead purchased a package where they got 6 nights in the grand Centara Chaweng along with their flights for $1300. Works out to 250 baht per night, whereas the rack rate is 10,000 baht per night.

The major issue with travel agents is that they won't quote you a price from budget airlines, because they get no commission. But Samui is not serviced by any budget airlines anyway, making it less of an issue here.

Edited by ydraw

The problem i think with Lamai is it's infrastructure is still years behind.

With it not being as young and lively as Chewang, it has a problem in trying to cater for couples and

older tourists.

There's some fine restaurants and bars there but more girlie bars and massage parlours than Chewang, who would of thought that 5 years ago?

Imagine a family of 4 staying in a nice 3-5 star resort walking through Lamai at night, an often bemused look is evident....

Knock most of it down and start again (Weekender style) before it ends up like the true ghost area of Banrak which even has a road named after it's popularity....

A tacky walking street and Saturdays lady boxing i feel is no longer an appeal to attract tourists though it still has one of the best stretches of beach on the island for swimming.

Smell the coffee.

This.

I don't know anyone under 50 that uses travel agents as apposed to online booking. I know some emerging markets still use this outdated system, but many of them are working out they are being ripped off by the 3rd party and booking themselves.

Not strictly true. There are millions of people that do not have the use of credit cards

I'm there now. Seems alot more family oriented tham a few years ago. More kids and guys with farang wives. Good place for a while.

12 years ago you could go for days without seeing a sprog but you see them all the time now. With sprogs come parents and those parents don't do the same thing that backpackers did in 2000. It is changing to be more family oriented but is dragging its heels.

The Sunday market has taken off and is double the size it was a year ago. It has lead to a few arguments regarding taxis though and this relates to a post I made the other say regarding songthaews. People are getting the bus or a lift from their resort in Chaweng (for example) only to find it will cost them 600 Baht to get back.

Some restaurants seem to do well for 2 hours a night that are in the main areas like Salathai (sp) but the ones further out that used to be full have thin trade now. It really has to get an identity before the Russians take over, concrete the place and make it like their home..

Some restaurants seem to do well for 2 hours a night that are in the main areas like Salathai (sp) but the ones further out that used to be full have thin trade now. It really has to get an identity before the Russians take over, concrete the place and make it like their home..

I agree with what you say but it's easier said than done.

I've nothing againt Russian's in the slightest and had dinner with a couple of thoroughly enchanting ladies the evening before last. Local small businesses such as bars and restaurants are not overly pleased with the growing change because they either stay at their hotel and spend money for the whole time or buy from Tesco/ 7-11 and take it back to party next to their resort/ hotel pool. This is not an absolute but for the most part it is true.

This.

Not strictly true. There are millions of people that do not have the use of credit cards

Yes, but debit cards have been around for 20 years now and most western/russians who travel have them. I find it hard to imagine that the majority of Samui tourists don't at least own one of these, it is not the cheapest holiday destination these days. Also I don't think you need a credit card, I think you can transfer at a bank into paypal or use a debit visa/mastercard card.

Sorry for off topic chaps

I agree with what you say but it's easier said than done.

I've nothing againt Russian's in the slightest and had dinner with a couple of thoroughly enchanting ladies the evening before last. Local small businesses such as bars and restaurants are not overly pleased with the growing change because they either stay at their hotel and spend money for the whole time or buy from Tesco/ 7-11 and take it back to party next to their resort/ hotel pool. This is not an absolute but for the most part it is true.

You are on the correct track there notmyself.

More Russians, Chinese and Koreans on Samui now. They do not go to bars per se. They will happily sit in a restauant and have a couple of bottles of spirits though. The days of the Europeans arriving in their droves with great exchange rartes are over for the moment. Meet the New Samui.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

i find that the women are more ugly here than before. no offence but phuket has allot more fitter women and when one goes on holiday for us men we normally follow the birds.

also i have herd and i do not know how much truth there is to this but Austrailians are boy cotting their holidays to samui due to a motor bike incodent. I have seen some stuff on thai news about this but even my Aussie mate in OZ said that allot of people were un happy over there

i find that the women are more ugly here than before. no offence but phuket has allot more fitter women and when one goes on holiday for us men we normally follow the birds.

also i have herd and i do not know how much truth there is to this but Austrailians are boy cotting their holidays to samui due to a motor bike incodent. I have seen some stuff on thai news about this but even my Aussie mate in OZ said that allot of people were un happy over there

Please stay on topic, do not divert it. There is another thread discussing this.

also i have herd and i do not know how much truth there is to this but Austrailians are boy cotting their holidays to samui due to a motor bike incodent.

Rubbish. In any case there has never been a big amount of Australians on Samui, because they mostly prefer Phuket due to direct flights. It's about half the price to go to Phuket and it is a direct 6 hour flight rather than a 10 hour flight with a stopover to get to Samui.

Phuket is crawling with Australians. It's the new Bali for people who have been driven away from Bali by the hordes of teenagers on weekenders.

Edited by ydraw

also i have herd and i do not know how much truth there is to this but Austrailians are boy cotting their holidays to samui due to a motor bike incodent.

Rubbish. In any case there has never been a big amount of Australians on Samui, because they mostly prefer Phuket due to direct flights. It's about half the price to go to Phuket and it is a direct 6 hour flight rather than a 10 hour flight with a stopover to get to Samui.

Phuket is crawling with Australians. It's the new Bali for people who have been driven away from Bali by the hordes of teenagers on weekenders.

no comment!

Lamai is a beautiful place.....lets hope it does become less attractive, and returns to its former glory..........

Lamui is easier to move around than chaweng. Normally i find that more long term people move that way and travler type people where as chaweng has more 2 week holiday family people.

just my take

Lamai is a beautiful place.....lets hope it does become less attractive, and returns to its former glory..........

Lamui is easier to move around than chaweng.

just my take

What? Every time that I drive down that one way bit I get dickkheadz driving towards me and trucks parked at the side of the 'narrow' road. It is a real pain in the buttt.

• Like 1