Best Sites For Downloading Free Ebooks?

cbrer

So I want to build up my Ebook library for my tablet.

Any good sites that have lots of free ebooks?

A quick google shows some sites but you mainly get done for only 5 per month or other restrictions unless you're a paying subscriber.

Thanks.

Depends what you want. If it's current titles, forum rules prevent you from getting the info here.

How old does a book have to be for the info to be 'allowed' ( cheesy.gif ) sorry, on here?

It has to be out of copyright otherwise you're taking writer's income away from them. Try http://www.gutenberg.org/ or download the Kindle app for your tablet. Amazon have loads of free books for download. They also have 99p offers every day if you sign up.

As stated above for a book to be legally free on the Internet it has to be out of copyright (75 years I think is the current rule)

If you like older books the project Gutenburg mentioned above as well manybooks , memoware and Books Should Be Free are all good sources of reading material..

You will also often find good and newer books by up and coming authors for free.

One word of warning.

It would not be the first time I have downloaded a book believing it to be free and when I reach the 3rd or 4th chapter I discover that I have to pay to read the entire booksad.png Now I make a point of skipping to the end of any free books just to make sure I have the whole book before I start to read as I certainly will not buy a book that uses such tactics without making it clear at the start that it is only a sampler.

I am not ashamed to admit that in my older age I have found great enjoyment in reading the classics that I had no time for when i was younger.

Edit to solve link issues

Edited by thaimite

Depends what you want. If it's current titles, forum rules prevent you from getting the info here.

How old does a book have to be for the info to be 'allowed' ( cheesy.gif ) sorry, on here?

It has to be out of copyright otherwise you're taking writer's income away from them. Try http://www.gutenberg.org/ or download the Kindle app for your tablet. Amazon have loads of free books for download. They also have 99p offers every day if you sign up.

I thought it was 50 years copyright coverage?

Amazon depends on where you are, if you register with a US address you can get free books but not if you register with a Thai address, the choices are restricted.

I registered with a US address and downloaded in Thailand and had emails from Amazon telling me I can't do that.

Here is our understanding of the law. Keep in mind this summary only applies to published paper-and-ink books/articles, not music, movies, electronic/digital works, unpublished works, works for hire, or other exceptional situations. The library cannot offer legal advice and we do not guarantee the accuracy of this summary, but we have tried to be accurate. If you believe a correction is needed, contact us. DTS Library and more information here book copyright FAQ

Copyrighted before 1923

Books copyrighted in the US before 1923 are now in the public domain; their copyrights have expired and it is legal to copy such works.

Copyrighted 1923-1963

Books initially copyrighted in the US from 1923 through 1963 are still protected by copyright law if the initial copyright was renewed. The initial copyright term was 28 years and the renewal was 67 more years (formerly only 47 years). For example, a book initially copyrighted in 1923, and renewed, will pass into the public domain in 2019 (i.e., 1923+28+67+1).

1. To search for copyright renewals of books originally copyrighted 1923-1963, search the Standford Copyright Renewal Database. If you don't find a renewal here, then the work is now probably in the public domain. Also check Copyright renewal records at Rutgers.
  2. To search for copyright renewals of books originally copyrighted 1951 to date, consult the Library of Congress Copyright Database. This copyright database records every US work copyrighted from 1978 to date. It includes copyright renewals as well as initial copyrights. Works initially copyrighted in 1951 were due for renewal in 1978. So if a work was initially copyrighted 1951-1963, but a renewal is not recorded in this database, then the work is probably in the public domain.

Copyrighted 1964-1977

All books initially copyrighted in the US from 1964 through 1977 have had their copyrights automatically renewed (by law) and the copyrights are still in force. The initial copyright term was 28 years; the renewal was for 67 more years. So a book initially copyrighted in 1964 will pass into the public domain in 1964 + 28 + 67 + 1= 2060.

Copyrighted 1978-

All books initially copyrighted in the US from 1978 to date are still protected by copyright law. The period of copyright protection is governed by complex rules. Generally speaking copyright protection ends 70 years after death of author.

Amazon depends on where you are, if you register with a US address you can get free books but not if you register with a Thai address, the choices are restricted.

I registered with a US address and downloaded in Thailand and had emails from Amazon telling me I can't do that.

I have never understood the logic (if there is any) of being able to buy a book from Amazon and have it shipped to my country of residence and yet not be able to buy the same book in the same country as an eBook!!

Also I am not aware of any law that says I should not carry certain eBooks on my reader to various countries, apart from possibly some religious and political works in countries I have no intention of visiting.

If anybody has any input behind the reasoning of this (il) logic I would love to hear it.

Here is our understanding of the law. Keep in mind this summary only applies to published paper-and-ink books/articles, not music, movies, electronic/digital works, unpublished works, works for hire, or other exceptional situations. The library cannot offer legal advice and we do not guarantee the accuracy of this summary, but we have tried to be accurate. If you believe a correction is needed, contact us. DTS Library and more information here book copyright FAQ

Copyrighted before 1923

Books copyrighted in the US before 1923 are now in the public domain; their copyrights have expired and it is legal to copy such works.

Copyrighted 1923-1963

Books initially copyrighted in the US from 1923 through 1963 are still protected by copyright law if the initial copyright was renewed. The initial copyright term was 28 years and the renewal was 67 more years (formerly only 47 years). For example, a book initially copyrighted in 1923, and renewed, will pass into the public domain in 2019 (i.e., 1923+28+67+1).

1. To search for copyright renewals of books originally copyrighted 1923-1963, search the Standford Copyright Renewal Database. If you don't find a renewal here, then the work is now probably in the public domain. Also check Copyright renewal records at Rutgers.
  2. To search for copyright renewals of books originally copyrighted 1951 to date, consult the Library of Congress Copyright Database. This copyright database records every US work copyrighted from 1978 to date. It includes copyright renewals as well as initial copyrights. Works initially copyrighted in 1951 were due for renewal in 1978. So if a work was initially copyrighted 1951-1963, but a renewal is not recorded in this database, then the work is probably in the public domain.

Copyrighted 1964-1977

All books initially copyrighted in the US from 1964 through 1977 have had their copyrights automatically renewed (by law) and the copyrights are still in force. The initial copyright term was 28 years; the renewal was for 67 more years. So a book initially copyrighted in 1964 will pass into the public domain in 1964 + 28 + 67 + 1= 2060.

Copyrighted 1978-

All books initially copyrighted in the US from 1978 to date are still protected by copyright law. The period of copyright protection is governed by complex rules. Generally speaking copyright protection ends 70 years after death of author.

Can somebody please clarify

Does American copyright law cover books purchased worldwide or just in the US?

Does it apply to all books or just editions of those published in the US?

If only the US, how does the laws of other countries compare?

In my opinion the current law on copyright serves to benefit a few, and harm creativity in general.

To my mind, a much better proposal which I saw published a few years agho is to make copyright free for an initila term (say 10 or 20 years) and then a paid service after that. Thus if the owners of the copyright are no longer earning from their works these works should then fall in to the public domain where others have a chance to build upon them

RE Post #15 thaimite words: I have never understood the logic (if there is any) of being able to buy a book from Amazon and have it shipped to my country of residence and yet not be able to buy the same book in the same country as an eBook!! Also I am not aware of any law that says I should not carry certain eBooks on my reader to various countries, apart from possibly some religious and political works in countries I have no intention of visiting. If anybody has any input behind the reasoning of this (il) logic I would love to hear it.

I am perplexed by your words. I have never heard of any prohibition on carrying e-books on your e-reader from country to country or restriction on down loading them to your e-reader unless(maybe?) you wanted to download or carry one banned in that country. If you tried to get one one those, it would be very nice for Amazon to keep you from putting yourself at risk.

Putting that aside..................

I have bought over 200 current e-books from Amazon and have them all delivered to me here in Thailand either by Whispernet or via the computer (downloaded for subsequent transfer to one of my e-readers). And the computer tells them my location, even if Whispernet does not (I bet it does but what do I know?). Movies? No, Amazon will not stream movies for the obvious reason. But absolutely no restriction on books.

Another source for e-books would be (for U.S. residents) your public library. If you have a permanent U.S. address or an U.S. for absentee voting, you could use that to register with the library. If you use to have a card and did not cancel it, contact the library on line, and see if you can not get the number, reactivate it, etc. I did that a year ago when I found out my old library now has e-books for check out.

The library's check out policy is 10 at any one time and can return them as soon as I am done reading them. So I can check out books as fast as I can read them. And that also applies to audio books. So I get them also for my MP3 player (they have other formats).

Since I have Kindles, I select the Kindle format, check them out, get redirected to Amazon which then downloads them to my computer for subequent transfer to which ever e-reader I select. Again.....current books downloaded in Thailand with no restrictions to date.

yes I was referr0ing to carrying banned books on my reader.

I do ot think Amazon could or should take responsibility for my safety in such cases

However the bigger point was regarding books that are not banned and can be shipped world wide in hard copy but which they will not sell in many of those same countries as an eBook

Sure I can use a proxy or overseas address and credit card but why should I have to?

They are encouraging piracy by their actions

On more than one occasion I have attempted to buy a book legally from Amazon, Barnes and Noble or simlar but in the end I have gone for the non DRM pirate copy in frustration.

By the way have you ever tried to buy an eBook as a gift. It is almost impossible, or at least I have been unable to do so from the main suppliers

I really love these anti piracy campaigns. The one in Bangkok, and i'm sure this is universal, seem to be centered around the sentiment that creativity is borne from profit. Really, read the ads on the BTS and that is always the implication. I think the opposite is true, but that is just conjecture.

yes I was referr0ing to carrying banned books on my reader.

I do ot think Amazon could or should take responsibility for my safety in such cases

However the bigger point was regarding books that are not banned and can be shipped world wide in hard copy but which they will not sell in many of those same countries as an eBook

Sure I can use a proxy or overseas address and credit card but why should I have to?

They are encouraging piracy by their actions

On more than one occasion I have attempted to buy a book legally from Amazon, Barnes and Noble or simlar but in the end I have gone for the non DRM pirate copy in frustration.

By the way have you ever tried to buy an eBook as a gift. It is almost impossible, or at least I have been unable to do so from the main suppliers

I cannot imagine how Amazon could determine that (say you are in the U.S.) the book you want to buy is banned in China and, therefore, you can not buy it because you plan on someday going to China. Are you are saying you try to buy from China an e- book banned in China and they will not sell it to you but will mail it too you at a Chinese address?

I can not help but think there are a couple of details I do not know and that is why it does not make sense to me.

RE being unable to buy books not banned; again there must be a missing detail or 2 or 3. So let me describe my specific situation.

I have a ONE CLICK account with Amazon since I have a valid U.S. credit card (let me stress the U.S. credit card) on record and can buy a book (or anything Amazon sells) with that single click of the mouse. I have a registered Kindle DX which is on Amazon's Whispernet. So when I buy acurrent New York Times best seller new novel on line via my desk top PC with the one click and my Kindle is on and 3G connected, the book shows up on the Kindle here in Thailand within something like 15-20 seconds at the most. I do have the option to have it downloaded to my computer for USB transfer to the Kindle and I use that for my other Kindle.

Now when I borrow from the library and get sent to Amazon, Amazon wants to send those wirelessly. If I say download to my DX, Amazon knows it does not have a wireless capability downloads it to my computer within 10 seconds after clicking DOWNLOAD and I subsequently transfer that book by USB. If I select my other Kindle (with wireless) it sends it that way.

All this is intriguing and really has me interested. Can you tell me how our situations differ? What kind of account do you have with Amazon, what Kindles or e-readers registered, etc.? Did Amazon refuse to sell you an e-book but then actually mailed you the hard copy? You are not using the APO, are you? If so, then it all makes sense.

Your situation is very different to mine.

You have a US credit card, and a Kindle which I assume was bought and registered in the US. Your books are downloaded to your US Whispernet account and then to your Kindle anywhere in the world

I do not have a US credit card nor a Kindle nor whispernet (not sure what that is, but I assume it is Kindle related).

I have an Android eBook reader {that can read Kindle books) a Thai credit card and I am in working in Amman Jordan.

With my Thai credit card I have purchased physical books and other items from Amazon and had them shipped to the UK, Thailand and also to here in Amman Jordan.

The problem with Physical books is although there is little or no censorship in Jordan, the customs take 4 to 6 weeks to process a book and the customs fees (not duties as there is no duty on books) are about twice the price of the book so rather than wait until I return to Thailand to collect my book I would rather order an eBook to read on my Tab.

The same books I have shipped to Thailand cannot be purchased as an eBook as I do not have a US (or UK) IP address when I log in. Thus Amazon refuse to sell me any eBook. (or atleast any I have tried)

The books I buy are on no way political or sensitive in any nature. The last purchase I tried to make as an eBook was Webster's Phrase and fable. Hardly a politically sensitive or offensive works. I also tried to buy this same book through Barnes and Noble with the same results. It shipped to Dubai a much stricter regime as a hard copy using the same Thai credit card with no issues.

I know I could use a Proxy to fake my Ip address, but why should I set one up for this rare occurrence. It is easier and much less hassle to download the pirate version.

I (and I believe most people) would rather buy their copyrighted items legally, but when the suppliers make it so difficult or unreasonably expensive) it is much easer to go the other route, and this is what will happen.Have you tried buying eBooks for other people's Kindles as a gift with your US credit card

Edited by thaimite

I cannot imagine how Amazon could determine that (say you are in the U.S.) the book you want to buy is banned in China and, therefore, you can not buy it because you plan on someday going to China. Are you are saying you try to buy from China an e- book banned in China and they will not sell it to you but will mail it too you at a Chinese address?

Don't know if it is the same situation as the poster is referring to, but I often cannot purchase books by UK authors on the Amazon US site.

I have a Thai address that has received shipments of actual books previously and a Thai credit card but for some UK authors, I have to switch to the Amazon UK website and use a UK based address (have previously ordered DVD's sent to a friend's place in London for pick up to avoid duty hassles in the past). My Thai credit card still works and the ebooks are sent to my kindle and iPads with no problem. The only annoyance is having to pay VAT by purchasing through the UK site, so when done I tend to switch back to the US site using my Thai address.

It must be a marketing thing. Perhaps some authors/publishers have different distribution arrangements.

I have not experienced any issues with 'banned' books.

• 1 month later...

If your looking for ebooks on Thailand or about Moving to Thailand - issues such as that Thailandebooks.net is just starting to collect these and also offers a Thailand Ebook Affiliate program. Also, just wanted to share a new ebook that arried this week,'The Ultimate Guide to Moving to Thailand' - Learn more about what it's like to live in Bangkok as an expat or for retirement - Just $ 2.99 BRAND NEW

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Moving-Thailand-ebook/dp/B00BC5ACVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1360243566&sr=1-2 or again you can also find it at http://www.ThailandeBooks.net as well. If you have any ebooks on Thailand this is also a great place to sell them or add Thailand related affiliate offers to your Thailand web sites.

Make it a great 2013!

• 7 years later...