Thai Transport Minister Chatchart To Listen To Noise At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Chatchart to listen to noise at Suvarnabhumi

Nongnaphat Maipanit

The Nation

30196461-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to better understand the complaints about excessive noise from neighbours of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan says he's planning to spend at least six hours in the area and perhaps even sleep overnight there.

"I want to know the airport's actual impact before deciding on compensation for the affected people," said Chatchart, who took over the Transport Ministry in October.

Chatchart plans to review the compensation policy for people affected by the airport's noise.

Several residents in the airport's neighbourhood have lodged petitions asking that authorities stick to the guidelines laid down in 2006, when a Cabinet resolution approved the purchases of residential buildings affected by the noise pollution in the NEF30-40 zone.

However, a Cabinet resolution in 2007 allows for only improvements to minimise the noise impact on buildings in the zone.

Airports of Thailand (AOT) now follows the 2007 resolution.

According to AOT acting president Somchai Sawasdeepon, more than 80 per cent of the affected residents have already been compensated. The total amount paid is nearly Bt3.89 billion.

With plans for a third runway at Suvarnabhumi, AOT believes it will likely have to pay Bt7 billion more in compensation to the people affected.

"I will ensure fairness to all sides," Chatchart said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-20

Quote:

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to better understand the complaints about excessive noise from neighbours of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan says he's planning to spend at least six hours in the area and perhaps even sleep overnight there.

Has this minister never heard of the technology available these day's ??

A sound level meter or sound meter is an instrument which measures sound pressure level, commonly used in noise pollution studies for the quantification of different kinds of noise, especially for industrial, environmental and aircraft noise. However, the reading from a sound level meter does not correlate well to human-perceived loudness, which is better measured by a loudness meter. The current international standard that specifies sound level meter functionality and performance is the IEC 61672:2003.

Surely a few of these instruments permanently located in & around Swampy would generate 24/7 information which would be more beneficial than a quick visit.

But if this technology is beyond his reach then I hope he has a peaceful nights sleep !!

• Like 2

Should this idiot actualy be sincere then he should rely on acoustic sound mapping to determine the levles of noise and not the implied infalallility of his ears. The article is a joke and only goes to prove the ignorance and arrogance of the administration and the guillibility of the Thai people.

Next time there is a nuclear disaster we should send him overnight to the site to determine radiation levels. A national resourse and treasure contained in their own Pandora's box.

......on an aside note.... visiting some relatives around the "Don", they are all starting to complain about the increased noise since air asia moved there......

Back on topic....

Sorry, I'm hardline on this - if residents around Suvarnabhumi owned and lived there in 1973 (39 years ago) when the airport land was purchased - remembering it was discussed being in that general area since 1968 - then ok, you get compensation. I would even say that if an independent audit showed land value decreases to those people (even not living there) then compensation.

BUT - if you purchased land and built houses there (used to be almost all farmland) since 1973 - you didn't do your research properly - aka - sucks to be you.....

Significantly, modern aircraft are much quieter now than they were 39 years ago.

EDIT

I live near there in Prawet - as airports used to be my business - but significantly before purchasing I knew the original plans, later plans, runway lengths, directions, and approved approaches.

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 2

I am suprised to read about noise level complaints in what has to be one of the noisest countries on the planet. Forget the airports, even the villages get the noisey government rude awakening at 5am. The snail pace line of advertising pickups causing eardrums to rupture as they pass by and the music at any party or function turned up to maximum distortion. Mind you with free money on offer why not complain!thumbsup.gif

• Like 2