B10,500++ Compulsory Nye Dinner. A Record?

Cleveland

Just received an email from Sheraton Pattaya I have just left offering me a special price for compulsory NYE dinner of only B10,500++ if I go back.

I personally think this is outrageously greedy, especially when it is pretty 'tired" and lacking in facilities compared to the Marriot Bkk where I am now, when that is more than a full dinner at a place like Robuchon's/Pierre White would set you back in HK or Ldn.

Is this reasonable in your opinion? Could this be why the place was almost empty?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was going to book into the Siam Bayview (or Bayshore...the one on Walking Street) for a couple nites on New Years to watch the fireworks, drink, and avoid traffic home (he lives on the Darkside) but when he found out they too had like a 12k per person (or maybe it was per couple) New Years Eve dinner he too gave it a pass!

Maybe we're getting the Russian oligarch class visiting Pattaya on major holidays now...therefore they can charge these kind of prices.

You must have missed the post I made in another thread about Christmas dinners.

At the Horizon at the Hilton you'll pay 19,000 baht for New Years Eve festivities. This includes 2 bottles of champagne (I think - or one).

I think that's the net price.

Edited by tropo

At the Horizon at the Hilton you'll pay 19,000 baht for New Years Eve festivities. This includes 2 bottles of champagne (I think - or one).

Oh why didn't you say so, if it's net, well that makes all the difference tongue.png

Oh why didn't you say so, if it's net, well that makes all the difference tongue.png

Yep. It'll save you 3230 baht.

• Like 1

Yep. It'll save you 3230 baht.

Don't think I can afford the festivities where can I go and just pay the service charge and tax?biggrin.png

We went to the Hard Rock a couple of years ago and the the nett price of their compulsory NYE dinner was 7500, it was just about ok and you had to chase them up for drinks.

The free flow didn't carry onto the festivities by the pool where they were charging high prices for drinks and even frisking people to ensure they didn't bring drinks with them - I thought that was a disgrace.

We are staying at the Hard Rock over Christmas, and I noticed the compulsory NYE dinner is now 8,500++ and the free flow drinks has been replaced by only two drinks.

I wonder how many customers they actually drive away.

• Like 1

OK, NYE festivities varying from THB 899 up to THB 35,000.

For G*d's sake, what do you get for THB 35,000?

Is it just the price that makes it special?

What makes it special is the occasion - NYE - and the fact that almost whatever they charge will will still see people wanting that night out at a fancier place with perhaps entertainment that will also charge highly that night and special menus.

It's plain greed and obsession with maximizing revenues for that one night...it is a trend and a given at almost all hotels and resorts nationwide. I am sure this practice is prevalent upcountry but not so sure about all Bangkok hotels. Hotels essentially sell you the room night for 31st at the room tariff plus a fee (meant to be for the gala dinner) so that you can celbrate NYE at the property. Can be made to sound like a nice service gesture...only trouble is the fee is exhorbitant and irrational and also they force you to pay that (which is pathetic) - basically, you either pay this much for the room (dinner included) or you go find another hotel.

Bangkok riverside hotels do charge a premium for NYE dinner as they jointly organize the fireworks on the river....all the same, the dinner charges are disproportionately high.... but as long as there's a market for it, who's to say it's very high...

The islands and other resorts' practice of forcibly charging you for "Gala dinner" is indeed sad and needless.... if a family is on holiday from around christmas time to New year, they have to fork out a lot of money just for the night of 31st...the option of changing hotels in the middle of your holiday is cumbersome and difficult. Hotels take advantage of this and try to come across as smug and doing you a 'favour'... not sure how this might change anytime soon... the government interfering might be the only way...

• Like 1

I went to the Oriental on Y2K NY Eve. They were not fully booked and they gave me a good deal including room, dinner, drinks, and a stupendous fireworks show. Since the world was supposed to end, and I'd had a good year I splurged.

But the rates you guys are bandering about here make me shudder and I will certainly stay home and make some fireworks in my own front yard with the kids.

I've no idea where the Thais are getting this kind of money to throw around, as I am certainly not experiencing high times.

It's plain greed and obsession with maximizing revenues for that one night...

Yes and no. There will always be some idiots around who suppose that just because something is expensive it must be good, and these hotels are catering to those idiots.

Given that no one is obliging anyone to stay at the hotel in the first place, it's all down to personal preference in the end, and more fool those who choose to participate.

I like to think that just as business- or first-class air travellers are subsidising my cheap bucket-shop economy ticket, anyone doing the Hilton's fancy NYE package is in fact subsiding the excellent 380B lunchtime buffet that I shall enjoy there a few days later. And those doing an Intercontinental NYE special are contributing even more directly to my dividend income.

It suits me fine.

• Like 2

wat does the op mean by compulsory ?

It means... If you are paying for a room on this night... you must pay for the party.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am stuck in Tokyo for this New Year's Eve so I might pop over to Hooter's Ginza for their party of included food, drinks and Hooter Girl dance performance for the, by Thailand comparison, cheap charlie price of 1,256 baht (advance ticket price) or 1,436 baht (at the door). Hell, if I am feeling extremely bold, I might just cycle over there.

If I am feeling like a big spender I will head over to the 27th floor of the Shangri-La Hotel Tokyo for their countdown party for a price of 2,872 baht. They are bringing over Ibiza diva Rebeka Brown (never heard of her myself) for the event. It looks like no food or drinks are included, but hey, if I am feeling the mood, I might just show up.

High priced Tokyo can provide entertainment at very reasonable prices... The prices in Thailand for these compulsory events are pure greedy rip-offs. Shame.

• Like 2

It's plain greed and obsession with maximizing revenues for that one night...it is a trend and a given at almost all hotels and resorts nationwide. I am sure this practice is prevalent upcountry but not so sure about all Bangkok hotels. Hotels essentially sell you the room night for 31st at the room tariff plus a fee (meant to be for the gala dinner) so that you can celbrate NYE at the property. Can be made to sound like a nice service gesture...only trouble is the fee is exhorbitant and irrational and also they force you to pay that (which is pathetic) - basically, you either pay this much for the room (dinner included) or you go find another hotel.

Bangkok riverside hotels do charge a premium for NYE dinner as they jointly organize the fireworks on the river....all the same, the dinner charges are disproportionately high.... but as long as there's a market for it, who's to say it's very high...

The islands and other resorts' practice of forcibly charging you for "Gala dinner" is indeed sad and needless.... if a family is on holiday from around christmas time to New year, they have to fork out a lot of money just for the night of 31st...the option of changing hotels in the middle of your holiday is cumbersome and difficult. Hotels take advantage of this and try to come across as smug and doing you a 'favour'... not sure how this might change anytime soon... the government interfering might be the only way...

What a lot of whinging about a service you obviously cannot afford.

It's called business. It has nothing to do with greed and obsession. If they have the customers willing to pay that level for special festivities then that is sound business practice. They've priced it to a market which exists and they're taping into it.

• Like 2

Yes and no. There will always be some idiots around who suppose that just because something is expensive it must be good, and these hotels are catering to those idiots.

This is even more absurd that calling it "greed and obsession". Now you're calling people who can afford this level of service "idiots". I wouldn't call anyone who has that type of money to blow on a NYE party an "idiot". Idiots don't usually walk around with that amount of spare cash.

I'd say you're envious.

There are people on this planet with money to burn and if they wish to burn through their cash by spending extravagantly, that's their choice - but don't call these people idiots.

To give an extreme example. How much do you think Donald Trump will spend on his NYE celebrations. Shall we call him an idiot too?

I don't think too many people on tight budgets would be spending 35K on NYE celebrations just to impress someone.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

This is even more absurd that calling it "greed and obsession". Now you're calling people who can afford this level of service "idiots". I wouldn't call anyone who has that type of money to blow on a NYE party an "idiot". Idiots don't usually walk around with that amount of spare cash.

I'd say you're envious.

There are people on this planet with money to burn and if they wish to burn through their cash by spending extravagantly, that's their choice - but don't call these people idiots.

To give an extreme example. How much do you think Donald Trump will spend on his NYE celebrations. Shall we call him an idiot too?

I don't think too many people on tight budgets would be spending 35K on NYE celebrations just to impress someone.

At least in Trump's case, it's a definite yes; but I agree with you that if there is a market for these expensive dinners, then I say "go for it."

• Like 1

I'm certainly no cheap Charlie but I arranged to be out of my chosen Krabi hotel last year to an 800b room out of principle, as I wasn't going to pay 3,500b for food and drink that would otherwise cost less than 500b. Thailand needs to wake up very soon and stop being so greedy!

I had a great night and saved around £150 in total for minimal loss of room quality but definitely a more enjoyable evening than had I gone to a contrived, compulsory "party".

Edited by BwindiBoy

The point is not about those that want to splurge for an expensive event on NYE. The point is that travelers that are booked into the hotel will be forced (not offered) to pay for something that they might not even want to partake in just so they have a bed to sleep in for that particular evening.

If the party was optional then I don't see this being an issue for complaints. But it's COMPULSORY for all guests whether you intend to attend or not. Whether you have been staying at the hotel for the past week or you are just checking in for that one night.

It's basically a tax that is being added to the bills of all guests for that one night. You can call it what you want but I call it unnecessary greed. If not, they wouldn't make it compulsory. What do you expect families that don't feel the need to participate in the gala to do? Check out and find another hotel for the night? Or I guess this is a warning for all future travelers that might be considering Pattaya for their NYE destination. Be prepared to be overcharged. If not prepared for it, find a different destination (Tokyo sounds nice) or stay home. Only the likes of D Trump will be welcomed here these days.

The compulsory party is optional. If people don't like the idea they don't book the hotel. That's pretty simple. They know the charges, they know the deal. Take it or leave it.

This is just part and parcel of the hotel business. They have an opportunity to make some money and that's their duty to shareholders.

I don't think too many people who stay in 5 star hotels at New Year are bothered by the cost of the party and enjoy the occasion. Budget travelers don't book into 5 star hotels at New Year.

What a lot of whinging about a service you obviously cannot afford.

It's called business. It has nothing to do with greed and obsession. If they have the customers willing to pay that level for special festivities then that is sound business practice. They've priced it to a market which exists and they're taping into it.

A service would be optional, this is compulsory across all 5* hotels wether you require it or not? As such I'd agree that it's price gouging and a rip off.

The point is not about those that want to splurge for an expensive event on NYE. The point is that travelers that are booked into the hotel will be forced (not offered) to pay for something that they might not even want to partake in just so they have a bed to sleep in for that particular evening.

If the party was optional then I don't see this being an issue for complaints. But it's COMPULSORY for all guests whether you intend to attend or not. Whether you have been staying at the hotel for the past week or you are just checking in for that one night.

It's basically a tax that is being added to the bills of all guests for that one night. You can call it what you want but I call it unnecessary greed. If not, they wouldn't make it compulsory. What do you expect families that don't feel the need to participate in the gala to do? Check out and find another hotel for the night? Or I guess this is a warning for all future travelers that might be considering Pattaya for their NYE destination. Be prepared to be overcharged. If not prepared for it, find a different destination (Tokyo sounds nice) or stay home. Only the likes of D Trump will be welcomed here these days.

The compulsory party is optional. If people don't like the idea they don't book the hotel. That's pretty simple. They know the charges, they know the deal. Take it or leave it.

This is just part and parcel of the hotel business. They have an opportunity to make some money and that's their duty to shareholders.

I don't think too many people who stay in 5 star hotels at New Year are bothered by the cost of the party and enjoy the occasion. Budget travelers don't book into 5 star hotels at New Year.

Ok so let's say a certain countries airlines start charging a compulsory + 2x fare to fly on Xmas day or new year because a special dinner is on. This would be seen as good business throughout the global industry? Don't talk crap.

• Like 1

A service would be optional, this is compulsory across all 5* hotels wether you require it or not? As such I'd agree that it's price gouging and a rip off.

The price will be highest that customers will pay. It's about maximizing profits. If they're booked out at these prices, the price is either just right or too low.

I don't suppose you've ever understood the concept of supply and demand. If you think that in a market of high demand you should discount the price, then you'd be a total failure in business.

These hotels work in a market of high and low seasons. At certain times of the year they will lose money. They have to charge as much as possible in the peak season and on special occasions. Anything else would be financial suicide.

Edited by tropo