Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be a bad ally if you were in a trench and the shooting started either.

Not if he's got a pint of Adnams in his hand. laugh.png

Is that an F15 from Lakenheath I can hear?

Don't know, but theres a Huey buzzing my place at the mo. sad.png

Good job it's not a Chinook.

Turn up the volume trans. I hear you.

have a nice day.

Looking for the airline owner of this distinctive livery. They are an important regional airline and have (2) 3 regularly scheduled international destinations.

attachicon.gifIMG_0993web.jpg

greenland flag on the side. airgreenland?

Within 2 minutes of each other, dickeyknee and singlepot got it correct with Air Greenland.

Their international flights are:

• Nuuk/Godthab to Keflavik/Reykjavik, Iceland via DH8C
  • Nuuk/Godthab to Iqaluit/Frobisher Bay, Canada (summer only) by DH8C - connecting codeshare to Ottawa with First Air
  • Kangerlussuaq/Sondrestrom to Copenhagen, Denmark via B757-200

Sondrestrom airfield was gifted to the Greenland government when the USAF base closed there. It remains the only airfield in Greenland to be of a size where large passenger jets can land. Expansion or reconstruction of the airfield in the capital Nuuk is a hot button topic.

Gezz, some are a bit testie giggle.gif

It is a Northrop Grumman E2- Hawkeye

AEM CHABANG, Thailand (Aug. 8, 2011) - Thai Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana admires an E-2C Hawkeye on the flight deck of nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73). George Washington is currently making a port visit to Thailand as an opportunity to strengthen ties with the partner nation. (U.S. Navy photo by Seaman Tatiana Avery)

6030256379_3f171f9847_z.jpg

Oops, not sure what happened on my last post. I'll try again. This should prove to be easier with an actual photo.

attachicon.gifIMG_1024.jpg

This guy was roaring around, waking up the neighbours. smile.png

no problem spud. Be in touch. Every chance an expert will be ahead of me.

Sorry for the double posts. Sometimes my internet appears to hang but in reality is doing backflips. facepalm.gif sigh That's what I get for living in the backwoods.

There has been issues across the board. Have been cleaning up dups/trips/quads daily. Also your 1st image you posted is still here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607740-plane-spotting-the-quiz/page-66?p=6616884#entry6616884 smile.png

My humble carriage for the flight between CM and Udon Thani.

992926_170119676500707_2019628904_n.jpg

Some days you land lucky with the weather, I was doing well till we arrived in UT. Before that the clouds were out to play and visibility was good, personally I love that aspect of flying, peering over the countryside and staring at some superb sights. The Air France flight over Northern India was superb, with the mountain range in the distance, then flying over the Burma Banks on a clear day. There's several other flights I'll never forget for the views but I think my favourite ever was flying over New York at night. Here's some images from yesterday.......

Leaving CM

994845_170119453167396_105002159_n.jpg

Cruising.....

1070088_170119433167398_713564810_n.jpg

The Lakes.......

1001806_170119546500720_393201059_n.jpg

Udon Thani....

1010057_170119666500708_905311323_n.jpg

Anyone know the name of the Lake halfway between CM and UT as pictured above? and just checking that is UT? We flew over it and I got the impression that we double backed to the runway, but I did end up a wee bit confused, ( as normal ).

Edited by theblether

Anyone know the name of the Lake halfway between CM and UT as pictured above? and just checking that is UT? We flew over it and I got the impression that we double backed to the runway, but I did end up a wee bit confused, ( as normal ).

Looks like Lam Nam Nan National Park - Google maps

Looks like Lam Nam Nan National Park - Google maps

Spot on Sir, that's on the things to do list now, thanks very much. wai.gif

http://www.naturethai.net/National-Park-in-Northern-Thailand/Lam-Nam-Kok-National-Park.html

Edited by theblether

Lucky boy biggrin.png The entire East Coast flight is quite superb, we flew in by day and changed at Newark, heading for Orlando. The aircraft took off and headed North, then turned and came back, so I got to see the city twice at night. I thought the flight alone was worth the price of the holiday smile.png

Some nice images there theblether ... thumbsup.gif

Sometimes I wish I could hang out the window and take a photo but I don't think the Air Hostess would be impressed. smile.png

Like This?

Safety First, Tie a double knot shoelace thumbsup.gif

960184_10151665429075609_2081972350_n.jp

Image credit here

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Some nice images there theblether ... thumbsup.gif

Sometimes I wish I could hang out the window and take a photo but I don't think the Air Hostess would be impressed. smile.png

Nor your trendy hairstyle. laugh.png

I'd be more concerned about the propellor if sitting in seat 3A.

Some days you land lucky with the weather, I was doing well till we arrived in UT. Before that the clouds were out to play and visibility was good, personally I love that aspect of flying, peering over the countryside and staring at some superb sights. The Air France flight over Northern India was superb, with the mountain range in the distance, then flying over the Burma Banks on a clear day. There's several other flights I'll never forget for the views but I think my favourite ever was flying over New York at night. Here's some images from yesterday.......

I love watching the countryside also. My most memorable was last September, NRT - BKK. We were passing 10 or more miles to the east of Taiwan and the island was being pounded by a storm in the early evening. Given our altitude, the TCUs centered on Taiwan must have topped well over 40,000'. The flicker of lightning in the cloud was constant and (seemingly) massive bolts lit up the land and surrounding seas.

BTW, I like Nok's livery on the Saab, or as we like to call them, the ice-pigs.

Spud67, "Given our altitude, the TCUs centered on Taiwan must have topped well over 40,000'. The flicker of lightning in the cloud was constant and (seemingly) massive bolts lit up the land and surrounding seas."

Yeah, those Saab 340's have has a very average history with ice issues. It is not just cold climates, they linger about the freezing level in the tropics day in and day out. (Legal Ceiling is 25,000 I believe. No drop down O2)

Once you get about, about 20,000 feet, visibility for lighting is amazing. It can be memorizing, and knowing you are are safe away from it. You can see much further very clearly when they happen when you get above all the crap in the lower atmosphere. On some occasions I have been really "worried" as they looked pretty close, but they had to be far away, beyond the range of the storm scope and you had a pretty good educated guess from the radar. The air in Asia really sucks for vis and can be misleading in the opposite way.

​Not to be confused with St Elmos Fire which is just freaky but beautiful at the same time. This would be a real pic below by the way, sometimes it is much more saturated than this. Two youtubes here and here.

st-elmos-fire-aircraft.jpg

Edited by Chao Lao Beach