21 Million Tourists, And Still Counting: Thailand

webfact

Before I answer I need to know what is the occupancy percent in Pattaya that you mean when you say. "empty most of the year"

You said, "empty most of the year" what does that translate to in terms of occupancy percent? 50% or 10% or what?

how do you propose i answer or would know that for you for every hotel in Pattaya?rolleyes.gif

Do you know how occupancy is calculated?

It is done through surveys of the hotels ... would think anyone in the hotel business would know this.

Really? through a survey, i guess it a new Nisa way for occupancy rates stats.

Perhaps Thai Government uses the same methods as you for all its stats, no wonder figures are always out of this worldblink.png

PS. Considering that the flagship manager Kelly who ran all the 5 star hotels and yet does not know the simple formula for occupancy rates calculations managed to get occupancy greater than 100%(when 100% means full rooms, all rooms 365 days per year, yet he managed to have it greater than thatrolleyes.gif ), i am sure surveys will be 101% accurate, since 100% is no longer a maximumwhistling.gif

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any intelligent business person with a hotel in Pattaya could easily look up the statistic by month for occupancy of hotels. I could care less but have seen the numbers available and they are broken down by city.

A couple articles about hotel occupancy in Pattaya including one that talks about occupancy by quarter... Warning!! As usual none of these figures back up your claims.

http://www.pattayama...-the-rise-15146

http://www.c9hotelwo...ate-2012-05.pdf

Funny you bring up intelligence.

Any intelligent person would NOT continue to debate a subject to which he has little or no knowledge at all and ONLY uses links to other sources without much understanding of it.

Keep up the good workthumbsup.gif

PS. If you do not mind, could you provide a link to how tourists are counted per city, say Pattaya,

I have seen your links to surveys, so please explain if they go around every hotel asking how many international tourists are staying, or what methods they use, thanks in advancethumbsup.gif

how do you propose i answer or would know that for you for every hotel in Pattaya?rolleyes.gif

It is done through surveys of the hotels ... would think anyone in the hotel business would know this.

When I worked for Holiday Inns it was public knowledge. I worked for Holiday Inns Inc. My occupancy was always greater than 100% and that was always fun to explain at the conventions.smile.png We called the hot sheet trade.

i am surprised it was not 300% considering you do not know how to calculate occupancy rates.

PS. How could you have occupancy greater than 100% ? for some crazy reason i always thought 100% was the max

That's because you don't have any experience in the business. Nor do you know what the hot sheet trade is. In the West in a roadside property many rooms are used the same as love motels in Thailand. Instead of curtains on the parking areas the patrons ask for a down and out (ground floor room with exit to parking lot). It is a simple matter of training your desk clerks to alert the housekeeping staff to look for local license plates and men with no luggage and a female waiting in the car. The maid checks the room in two hours and if it's empty remakes the bed, cleans the room and the front desk can sell it again. Those rooms also do not need anything working as one never gets complaints from the clients. So using the hot sheet rooms over and over again and never having an out of order room one can maintain an occupancy rate of more than 100 percent. So now maybe you have learned something.wink.png

Point in case!

did you mean case in point? could not even get the idiom right?rolleyes.gif

Iv'e worked out why your rooms have been empty! It would be your condescending, Superior way you talk with anyone! I wish I did know your hotel names so I could warn all my friends to steer clear wai.gif

Any intelligent business person with a hotel in Pattaya could easily look up the statistic by month for occupancy of hotels. I could care less but have seen the numbers available and they are broken down by city.

A couple articles about hotel occupancy in Pattaya including one that talks about occupancy by quarter... Warning!! As usual none of these figures back up your claims.

Any intelligent person would NOT continue to debate a subject to which he has little or no knowledge at all and ONLY uses links to other sources without much understanding of it.

PS. If you do not mind, could you provide a link to how tourists are counted per city, say Pattaya,

I have seen your links to surveys, so please explain if they go around every hotel asking how many international tourists are staying, or what methods they use, thanks in advancethumbsup.gif

It really is getting a bit embarrassing and worse that you are not even seeing it. Knowing as little as you do about subjects you claim expertise is bad enough but then going on to argue with anyone that tries to argue with you is beyond comprehension especially when you ask them about these subjects.

Point in case!

Iv'e worked out why your rooms have been empty! It would be your condescending, Superior way you talk with anyone! I wish I did know your hotel names so I could warn all my friends to steer clear wai.gif

I am not aware of any rule violation of his mentioning the name. Given his posts, I really don't see how it could be viewed as advertising but rather would just be providing a little credibility.

Before I answer I need to know what is the occupancy percent in Pattaya that you mean when you say. "empty most of the year"

You said, "empty most of the year" what does that translate to in terms of occupancy percent? 50% or 10% or what?

Really? through a survey, i guess it a new Nisa way for occupancy rates stats.

Perhaps Thai Government uses the same methods as you for all its stats, no wonder figures are always out of this worldblink.png

PS. Considering that the flagship manager Kelly who ran all the 5 star hotels and yet does not know the simple formula for occupancy rates calculations managed to get occupancy greater than 100%(when 100% means full rooms, all rooms 365 days per year, yet he managed to have it greater than thatrolleyes.gif ), i am sure surveys will be 101% accurate, since 100% is no longer a maximumwhistling.gif

It is not nice to lie about people. I never wrote I ran a 5 star hotel. I do know how to calculate occupancy. You don't. wai.gif

It really is getting a bit embarrassing and worse that you are not even seeing it. Knowing as little as you do about subjects you claim expertise is bad enough but then going on to argue with anyone that tries to argue with you is beyond comprehension especially when you ask them about these subjects.

so no links or explanation?rolleyes.gif

It is not nice to lie about people. I never wrote I ran a 5 star hotel. I do know how to calculate occupancy. You don't. wai.gif

Thats strange, i always thought Hilton was a 5 star and you did state you ran it, you also stated and i quote

8 million tourists came to Pattaya in 2012 and there are 50,000 rooms. Yea I can figure that. What I was asking you is what is the occupancy percent if the rooms are empty most of the time?

So if you know how to calculate the occupancy rate, why did you write the above?

Furthermore, if you know about occupancy rates and you supposedly ran hotels, why would you post the part below since you are fully aware that the maximum number of occupancy is 100%, so how can achieve greater than 100% and if you reached 100% it would be a world record, because there is no hotel in this planet that can do 100% occupancy rate when its calculated properly, because it is physically impossible to have all rooms sold out 365 days per year.

My occupancy was always greater than 100% and that was always fun to explain at the conventions.smile.png We called the hot sheet trade.

Point in case!

I am not aware of any rule violation of his mentioning the name. Given his posts, I really don't see how it could be viewed as advertising but rather would just be providing a little credibility.

sadly you are not aware of many things, this subject being one of themthumbsup.gif

Point in case!

Really? Case in Point, Point in Case idiom has been argued about for many many decades. But of course your superior intillect would say that you are correct

Point in case!

Really? Case in Point, Point in Case idiom has been argued about for many many decades. But of course your superior intillect would say that you are correct

Well i guess if its been argued then it must be correctthumbsup.gif

sadly you are not aware of many things, this subject being one of themthumbsup.gif

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

14) Not to place phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

25) Members are forbidden to solicit for or accept donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to steer or solicit members and visitors to go to locations or businesses where it is necessary to pay for services or assistance. The exception is ThaiVisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves.

If there is a rule I missed related to this then please let us know but as far as I can tell there is absolutely nothing wrong with your making a comment such as .... " I run ____ hotel and it is failing and there is nothing I can do to prevent it because tourism numbers in Thailand are the worst ever even though all the numbers say they are higher."

Personally based on your posts I think it would have the reverse effect of bringing in customers and therefore nobody could view it is advertising but rather just some verification there is even a shred of evidence that you are in the Hotel business in Thailand despite the fact you seem to know extremely little about how to even find the rates of hotel occupancy to the area you are located..

• Like 1

so no links or explanation?rolleyes.gif

Do you really need links to your own posts to find them?

Thats strange, i always thought Hilton was a 5 star and you did state you ran it, you also stated and i quote

8 million tourists came to Pattaya in 2012 and there are 50,000 rooms. Yea I can figure that. What I was asking you is what is the occupancy percent if the rooms are empty most of the time?

So if you know how to calculate the occupancy rate, why did you write the above?

Furthermore, if you know about occupancy rates and you supposedly ran hotels, why would you post the part below since you are fully aware that the maximum number of occupancy is 100%, so how can achieve greater than 100% and if you reached 100% it would be a world record, because there is no hotel in this planet that can do 100% occupancy rate when its calculated properly, because it is physically impossible to have all rooms sold out 365 days per year.

My occupancy was always greater than 100% and that was always fun to explain at the conventions.smile.png We called the hot sheet trade.

There are 530 Hilton Hotels certainly not all of them are 5 star hotels. I managed a number of Hilton Hotels. There is no one Hilton hotel. Two, when you sell a room more than once a day and you are at 100% occupancy your occupancy rate goes above 100%.

When you learn how to sell rooms more than once a day and keep all rooms in service you will be on your way to becoming a good innkeeper. I explained how in my previous post that you chose not to respond to.whistling.gif

Edited by chiangmaikelly

There are 530 Hilton Hotels certainly not all of them are 5 star hotels. I managed a number of Hilton Hotels. There is no one Hilton hotel. Two, when you sell a room more than once a day and you are at 100% occupancy your occupancy rate goes above 100%.

When you learn how to sell rooms more than once a day and keep all rooms in service you will be on your way to becoming a good innkeeper. I explained how in my previous post that you chose not to respond to.whistling.gif

what a total and utter nonsenserolleyes.gif

i am not planning to run short time brothels in the near future, leave that business for the experienced boys like yourself, while in the mean time i also do not plan to throw guests out half way through their stay so i can sell the room more than once a day.

PS. Clearly you missed, it but even if you run a brothel renting the same room out 10 times, your occupancy rates remain the same because room price is not in the formulaw00t.gif

Edited by lemoncake

i am not planning to run short time brothels in the near future, leave that business for the experienced boys like yourself, while in the mean time i also do not plan to throw guests out half way through their stay so i can sell the room more than once a day.

PS. Clearly you missed, it but even if you run a brothel renting the same room out 10 times, your occupancy rates remain the same because room price is not in the formulaw00t.gif

Occupancy has nothing to do with room price. It is how many times the room is sold during the period in question. If you have 1 room and it is sold every day you have 100% occupancy. If you manage to sell the room twice a day for whatever reason (I don't judge others morals) you have 200% occupancy. wink.png

Occupancy has nothing to do with room price. It is how many times the room is sold during the period in question. If you have 1 room and it is sold every day you have 100% occupancy. If you manage to sell the room twice a day for whatever reason (I don't judge others morals) you have 200% occupancy. wink.png

Does it really matter? Clearly he didn't understand the concept of occupancy rate and as typical is now shifting the topic once educated information has been provided. In fact it has shifted all over the place each time he is shown there is absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that tourism in down in Thailand as opposed to increasing.

Does it really matter? Clearly he didn't understand the concept of occupancy rate and as typical is now shifting the topic once educated information has been provided. In fact it has shifted all over the place each time he is shown there is absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that tourism in down in Thailand as opposed to increasing.

ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger. Add to that, Devils Advocate, Contrarian, Argumentative, Annoying, Pessimists, Blockhead. Blockheadedness can be cured.

Edited by ozziebloke

Are there any million dollar beaches left in Thailand, cuz i haven't seen any for 10 years.

In comparison with even the Mediterranean, the beaches here are filthy.

Sure are, but I'm not saying where, or they won't be anymore. Getting harder to find though, as the flashpackers invade.

Not all beaches are filthy- some places the staff clean them every morning.

ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger. Add to that, Devils Advocate, Contrarian, Argumentative, Annoying, Pessimists, Blockhead. Blockheadedness can be cured.

nice to see a side kick with yet another "opinion"

Noun 1. hotel occupancy - occupancy rate for hotels

occupancy rate - the percentage of all rental units (as in hotels) are occupied or rented at a given time

Right so from occupancy of hotels you now moved on to occupancy of brothelsrolleyes.gif , mind you it was you who brought it up and claimed to have done it.

And no, number of times you sell the room per day does not make any difference what so ever to the occupancy rate, because it is number of rooms not amount of times room was sold per day.

Furthermore 100% occupancy is a maximum, just as you can be sure 100% or factory working at maximum output of 100%, so occupancy can not be 200% nor can it be 101%

occupancy rate - the percentage of all rental units (as in hotels) are occupied or rented at a given time

I am glad you found a dictionary of what the occupancy rate means as a word, now educate yourself as to how its calculated

https://www.alliance-leicestercommercialbank.co.uk/bizguides/full/hotel/parkes-occupancy.asp

cheesy.gif

ignorance knows no bounds when it comes to youthumbsup.gif

Edited by lemoncake

Right so from occupancy of hotels you now moved on to occupancy of brothelsrolleyes.gif , mind you it was you who brought it up and claimed to have done it.

And no, number of times you sell the room per day does not make any difference what so ever to the occupancy rate, because it is number of rooms not amount of times room was sold per day.

Furthermore 100% occupancy is a maximum, just as you can be sure 100% or factory working at maximum output of 100%, so occupancy can not be 200% nor can it be 101%

It can be occupancy of anything. If you have a hospital with 100 rooms and you rent all the rooms out twice a day the occupancy of the hospital would be 200%.

I am glad you found a dictionary of what the occupancy rate means as a word, now educate yourself as to how its calculated

https://www.alliance...s-occupancy.asp

So what is your problem? Do you also dissagreed with this advise https://www.alliance...s-occupancy.asp? Youv'e argued with everything that has been put to you, And you have also been asked to give figures/rates anything to back up your claims and as yet not one post of yours has even visited that scenario. Why cannot you give at least one little fact to support your claims that Pattaya was empty for most of the year that being 10 of the 12 months as you quoted in one of your posts. And you look don't pass it back to me

It can be occupancy of anything. If you have a hospital with 100 rooms and you rent all the rooms out twice a day the occupancy of the hospital would be 200%.

I am now beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with you, i mean really.

For starters we are not talking about hospitals or brothels or cars or anything else you like to bring up once you have been proven wrong again and again.

Not only that, but hospitals do not rent rooms

You asked the question of what was the occupancy for hotels

You gave completely wrong formula and "ingredients" for occupancy rates

100% term is used to represent a maximum value, so it can not be 300% nor can it be anything else but a maximum 100%, not only its common sense but a common knowledge in hotel industry

So what is your problem? Do you also dissagreed with this advise https://www.alliance...s-occupancy.asp? Youv'e argued with everything that has been put to you, And you have also been asked to give figures/rates anything to back up your claims and as yet not one post of yours has even visited that scenario. Why cannot you give at least one little fact to support your claims that Pattaya was empty for most of the year that being 10 of the 12 months as you quoted in one of your posts. And you look don't pass it back to me

Are you really that ignorant? do you have any idea what is been discussed? just butt out and do some self education