Looking For A Family Van

24Heels

I will be looking to purchase a new or used van in January and am just starting to sort through all the options. We're looking for more room than the Fortuner, MU-7, or Pajero, but not quite to the Commuter or Hiace. The options that I know of are the Toyota Innova, Honda Freed, Kia Carnival and Grand Carnival and Hyundai H1. Are there others that I'm overlooking and do any of you have any comments on any of these?

The Venture looks good as well, I'd love to find a place that will let me test drive one. I've done some checking on the specs and they are not that much bigger than the Fortuner, which is a good thing since my wife doesn't want to be driving something huge.

Add these to your list and it's looking fairly complete (well, for official models):

Honda Odyssey

Honda StepWgn Spada

Toyota Alphard

Volkswagen Caravelle

Mercedes Benz B Class

Mercedes Benz R Class

Mercedes Benz Vito

The Toyota Ventury is just a gasoline powered variant of the Commuter, so shares it's cumbersome maneuverability but costs around 1.5 Baht more per KM to fuel over it's diesel brother, and performs worse at the same time - leave it to the fleet buyers IMHO ;)

I've been doing a lot of research on the Kia Carnival and Grand Carnival and it seems to be extremely popular in Australia, but I don't see a lot of them here in Thailand. Does anyone have any information on reliability and service here?

Take a look at the Honda Freed. I have had the Freed Limited for over a year now, plenty of space and very comfortable to drive. The boss prefers to drive this than my new Ford Wildtrack 3.2, with her reasons being a more comfortable ride and really good fuel economy and I agree with her. Excellent for a family, we have 2 kids 1.6 years old and 3 years old. The sliding doors are great especially when in confined space like car parks and makes its easy to lift the kids into their seats.

post-124565-1357024264156_thumb.jpg

Popularity of a model in one market does not necessarily mean much in another. E.G. The basic Innovas are relatively cheap in Indonesia and there are diesel versions making them more popular.

The Op was looking for more room than the Fortuner, MU-7, or Pajero. Don't think the Innova and the Freed will manage this.

Popularity of a model in one market does not necessarily mean much in another. E.G. The basic Innovas are relatively cheap in Indonesia and there are diesel versions making them more popular.

The Op was looking for more room than the Fortuner, MU-7, or Pajero. Don't think the Innova and the Freed will manage this.

Uh huh.. look at the Toyota Avanza's sales in Indonesia (almost 18,000 units in November alone), and then compare that to any other market, heh ;) Interestingly though, the Honda Freed is outsold by the Avanza over 10:1 in ID - and it was specifically developed for that market, so just like everyone looks to Thailand for a handle on the pickup scene, Indonesia is the market to look at for insight into the MPV class..

Yep, MPV's are very popular in Indonesia. The Kjang / Avanza / Innova and their Diahatsu half brothers are as common there as Pickups in LOS. Small 2 or 3 tonne trucks seem to have taken the place of pickups. The cheap MPVs are not the most exiting cars so I presume the Indo tax system gives MPV's a break like pickups in LOS. The Hilux has a reputation for toughness but some of the older Kjang models do well under less than perfect Indo driving conditions.

Anyway back to the topic, one +7 seater not mentioned so far - the Ssangyong Stavic. Its big, well priced (1.8M) and reasonably equipped and it has 4 rows of seats but lets just say it looks unusual / best viewed when sitting in the car.

Edited by Jitar

Yep, MPV's are very popular in Indonesia. The Kjang / Avanza / Innova and their Diahatsu half brothers are as common there as Pickups in LOS. Small 2 or 3 tonne trucks seem to have taken the place of pickups. The cheap MPVs are not the most exiting cars so I presume the Indo tax system gives MPV's a break like pickups in LOS. The Hilux has a reputation for toughness but some of the older Kjang models do well under less than perfect Indo driving conditions.

Anyway back to the topic, one +7 seater not mentioned so far - the Ssangyong Stavic. Its big, well priced (1.8M) and reasonably equipped and it has 4 rows of seats but lets just say it looks unusual / best viewed when sitting in the car.

That Ssangyong, does it not look like a sort of gigantic hearse? cheesy.gif

edit: added a video tour of that Stavic.

Edited by freemindxs

A major drawback to the Innova is supposedly terrible km/litre. Can anyone confirm or dispute that? How does the Innova compare to other vehicles in the same class?

I confirm. Check this long-term ownership review on the indian forum:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/98296-toyota-innova-my-hi-way-star-long-term-ownership-review.html

Engine needs to be revved hard to extract performance.

• For the size it gives excellent mileage. Lowest I got till date is 11.2 kmpl and the highest 15 Kmpl. Normal drives with full A/C gives me around 13 Kmpl.

• If driven hard it guzzles diesel.

• Innova badly needs a sixth gear or a little tallish fifth gear for a more relaxed cruising. The motor feels and sounds tad busy at cruising speeds

• Goodyear GT3s are underrated tyres. Really satisfied with the performance.

• Excellent fit and finish ( Interiors)

• Very poor paint quality.

• I am getting a very slight rubbing feeling from the steering column. Toyota service people are still not able to diagnose it.

• Save for the parking, this car is a breeze to drive.

That Ssangyong, does it not look like a sort of gigantic hearse? cheesy.gif

Yep that's the one. Best not to buy a black one....

A major drawback to the Innova is supposedly terrible km/litre. Can anyone confirm or dispute that? How does the Innova compare to other vehicles in the same class?

I confirm. Check this long-term ownership review on the indian forum:

http://www.team-bhp....hip-review.html

Engine needs to be revved hard to extract performance.

• For the size it gives excellent mileage. Lowest I got till date is 11.2 kmpl and the highest 15 Kmpl. Normal drives with full A/C gives me around 13 Kmpl.

• If driven hard it guzzles diesel.

• Innova badly needs a sixth gear or a little tallish fifth gear for a more relaxed cruising. The motor feels and sounds tad busy at cruising speeds

• Goodyear GT3s are underrated tyres. Really satisfied with the performance.

• Excellent fit and finish ( Interiors)

• Very poor paint quality.

• I am getting a very slight rubbing feeling from the steering column. Toyota service people are still not able to diagnose it.

• Save for the parking, this car is a breeze to drive.

The Indians are talking about a Diesel Manual Innova, not available in LOS. The auto petrol version will use much more fuel.

That's the style we're looking for, but I've heard Volkswagon's are a nighmare for service and parts here in Thailand.

Yes I heard this when I first came over and sadly wish I had just gone with my instincts and looked into it further before taking anyone else's word for it.. I'd a found out it isn't true and that was 10 years ago when it was more a potential problem then it is now..

Whatv aboutb a DFSK V27? I see them advertised all the time on my cable tv for under 500,000 bht.

http://chinaautoweb....odels/dfsk-v27/

smile.png

Do you really want to be driving a Chinese car? I believe also the size of the van does not reflect the requirements of the OP (larger van but not a SUV).

I don't want to buy one.

I'm just suggesting a cheap alternative for the OP who was very non specific about his requirements apart from needing more room than some SUVs he named.

This is an actual mini van and is much roomier than some other vehicles mentioned above. Thais could fit half a village in the back of a V27.

Been to several car lots now as well as checking out one2car.com and taladrod.com. I'm really liking the price and practicality of the Kia Grand Carnival; being able to move 11 people is a big plus. I know they have been very popular in Australia for several years for the same reasons and also reliability. Does anyone know how the Thai version compares?