Triple Or Double Entry Visas From Uk To Thailand

I live in the UK. Sadly I am not a very experienced traveller.

I am exploring the possibility of moving to Thailand long term, perhaps at some later stage on a retirement visa, but not yet.

At this stage, my explorations are tentative. Over the last year, I have been checking out whether I like Thailand, and whether Thailand likes me. I like what I have seen so far :)

In January 2012, I visited Thailand for the first time and was given the standard 30 day tourist visa on arrival.

In August 2012, I returned with a single entry visa, so I stayed for the initial 60 days and then got a 30 day extension from the Immigration Office.

I am intending to be back in Thailand on 1st February 2013. I am thinking of getting either a double entry or a triple entry visa. I can't quite make up my mind yet.

My initial questions are these:

If I send off my passport to the Thai Consulate in Hull on Monday 14th January, I am likely to get it back on Wednesday 16th January.

[a] what would the "use by" date likely to be on the passport for a double entry visa?

what would the "use by" date likely to be for a triple entry visa?

The reason for asking is that I may visit neighbouring countries for extended periods in between my visas. Knowing the likely "use by" date will help me to plan how long I can be away from the UK.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you Lite Beer and lopburi3 for your replies.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Sadly, at this stage, I do not qualify for the non immigrant "O" visa. I shall do in future years.

At present, I am not a very confident traveller so I would rather settle my return date now rather than applying for further visas whilst in a strange foreign country.. Perhaps next time :)

When I had a single entry visa last August, it was valid for 60 days and I then got a 30 day extension whilst still in the country. If I have double entry or triple entry visas can I still get a 30 day extension on each of the visas without leaving the country? I have looked on the website but I cannot find the relevant regulation.

Thank you again.

Yes you can obtain a 30 day extension of any 60 day tourist visa entry. The cost is 1,900 baht and is done with a TM.7 form at local immigration office (do a week or so before expiration of current stay as you lose no time).

Yes you can obtain a 30 day extension of any 60 day tourist visa entry. The cost is 1,900 baht and is done with a TM.7 form at local immigration office (do a week or so before expiration of current stay as you lose no time).

On top of these (hope not to confuse you more):

You can keep every entry 'alive' to the end of the 60 days, with a re-entry permit. (1000 baht)

I mean, in case you wanna go to Laos (p.ex), during the granted 60 days, and planning to come back, during this 60 days also, you still have the end date of the 'original' 60 days permitted.

And can apply for the 30 days extension, after.

That said, what is your total trip-time? A double entry visa will get you to about 175 days, a triple entry to ~ 260 days.

A information about that will give more options, to 'help' you!

And in Laos, they are very helpful, to get you new tourist visas. smile.png

Edited by noob7

from your replies it sounds like you want to stay approx. 270 days and have a return flight booked ?

are you going to apply for the visa first or book the return flight first ?

to work out your return date :

visa issued on jan 15th :

your maximum length of time in thailand will be 180 days from jan 15th + 60 days + 30 days.

so from feb 1st you'll be able to stay for approx. 255 days.

if you want to stay longer than 255 days then apply for the visa closer to feb 1st,

When I had a single entry visa last August, it was valid for 60 days and I then got a 30 day extension whilst still in the country. If I have double entry or triple entry visas can I still get a 30 day extension on each of the visas without leaving the country?

Yes, you can get 30 day extensions at a local immigration office, but after the 30 days expires you must leave the country and re-enter to activate the next 60 days on your visa.

A double or triple entry tourist visa is valid for 6 months from date of ISSUE. Which equates to roughly two entries of 60 days, each extended by 30 days. So if on a triple entry visa, get the visa as close to your departure date for maximum use and make your final entry just before the 6 month expiry to get a further 60 days which you can also extend.

Key to getting as close to 270 days as possible is getting the triple entry visa isuued close to departure from UK and spending minimal time outside of Thailand on your two border runs.

Edited by TCA

Actually such a visa may only be valid for 3 months from date of issue to make all entries so you need to be careful.

The OP specifically mentions Hull and currently validity on both double entry and triple entry visas issued from there is 6 months. Worth checking of course. I've had both in the last 10 months from there and both good for 6 months. My triple entry was bought in October 2012.