Bluetooth Invasion

BKKGuitar

Are you inadvertently receiving data files meant for someone else? Just wondering. I was typing a message in a different TV forum, and suddenly got a window asking if i wanted to accept a file from someones Nokia phone. Must have been one of my neighbors...

And was that necessarily a Bluetooth file? I don't know what the range is for infrared.

Edited by BKKGuitar

This is quite common - most of the time its a mobile phone virus like Caribe, which is widespread in Bangkok. I think there's a few other things around now. Caribe only affects symbian-based devices, which basically means Nokia series 60 phones (smartphones). The infected phone starts trying to broadcast the virus continuously, draining the battery.

I take it this was your computer you saw the notice from? Good idea to put your bluetooth into non-discoverable mode, or paired-devices only mode.

Caribe won't affect your PC but it is possible that someone that doesn't like you could try sending you something that would.

Edited by Crushdepth

This is quite common - most of the time its a mobile phone virus like Caribe, which is widespread in Bangkok. I think there's a few other things around now. Caribe only affects symbian-based devices, which basically means Nokia series 60 phones (smartphones). The infected phone starts trying to broadcast the virus continuously, draining the battery.

I take it this was your computer you saw the notice from? Good idea to put your bluetooth into non-discoverable mode, or paired-devices only mode.

Caribe won't affect your PC but it is possible that someone that doesn't like you could try sending you something that would.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that viruses were infecting cellphones too, not only PCs. Went into my PC's Bluetooth, Configure, but Mode options are all ghosted, I can't change them. I'll just be careful not to accept any files.... tnx again.

Had a fun moment once when I got a Bluetooth picture transfer request on my phone, only to see that it was a pic the girl next to me had just taken of herself...modern way of saying "hi", eh? :D

Hmmm I received a cleavage shot - quite amusing to say the least - pehaps as you said modern day of chatting someone up??? :o