Head Unit Options

culicine

So at 210K kms and nearly 9 years my head unit decides it doesn't want to play CD's. This is a honda civic 2.0. The head unit is a 6-stack CD player. It measures about 8.5 inches diagonally. It started out by not playing CD's properly (especially ones I burned), and now doesn't play anything at all. I can't hear the disc spinning in the player. Is the player drive shot, or possibly does it need cleaning? Are there any suggestions for good replacement head units? Any brand in particular? One that has a usb port at least...CD's are so yesterday, maybe a TV tuner. Not sure about sat nav though. I don't think I'd use it that much. Any suggestions?

I like the Kenwood that came in the new Isuzu, not sure what model it is but it has bluetooth and an integrated Garmin nav system.

I love having the nav in the dash rather than the stick-on (did not think I would) and after having bluetooth, I don't think I would buy anything without it.

Assuming you're going to hang on to the Civic for a while, bite the bullet and get something nice, that looks good in the dash. If you're anything like me, you'll get over spending too much a lot faster then you will get over looking at something every day that you cheap out on.

I like the Kenwood that came in the new Isuzu, not sure what model it is but it has bluetooth and an integrated Garmin nav system.

I love having the nav in the dash rather than the stick-on (did not think I would) and after having bluetooth, I don't think I would buy anything without it.

Assuming you're going to hang on to the Civic for a while, bite the bullet and get something nice, that looks good in the dash. If you're anything like me, you'll get over spending too much a lot faster then you will get over looking at something every day that you cheap out on.

Thanks. We will be getting a new swift next year, but will probably keep the civic and put it into semi retirement, before more bits keep breaking and falling off laugh.png . I'll see if it can be fixed first. I' guessing it will be too much trouble for a garage, if they want to sell a new unit. Or can I get some gizmo to plug my usb or phone into the aux socket and play music from there? This panasonic unit has been a good workhorse - I use CD's all the time, but I think there is even no jack for an amp if I wanted to fit one.

I used to use CDs, but now I have everything on the phone, and with bluetooth, don't even have to plug it in, plus, when I make or receive a call, the music pauses.

Now the glove-box is empty, I can still listen to any of my CDs and with the TuneIn radio app on the phone I can listen to radio from most anywhere in the world.

If you can get the old radio out, you might walk it around Pantip Plaza...

You can get a decent headunit (JVC, Kenwood, etc) without GPS for around 10.000 to 14.000 THB.

I might be selling my JVC KW-846 unit within the next couple of months since I can get a new alpine unit from my customer (AOAP) on the cheap.

Edited by JoeW

in most cases repairs of such an old unit will not be suggested and will take plenty of time as the shop mostly have to send it in.

Your size units go indeed for around 10,000 Baht, Pioneer or Kenwood with Bluetooth integration.

My wifes Kenwood in her Xtrail (5 years plus old) has just failed and did the same as yours. Put a new one in and don't look back.

You can always take it out to put in your next car, therefor you might want to keep the old unit.

in most cases repairs of such an old unit will not be suggested and will take plenty of time as the shop mostly have to send it in.

Your size units go indeed for around 10,000 Baht, Pioneer or Kenwood with Bluetooth integration.

My wifes Kenwood in her Xtrail (5 years plus old) has just failed and did the same as yours. Put a new one in and don't look back.

You can always take it out to put in your next car, therefor you might want to keep the old unit.

Thanks for your suggestion - I was figuring it would be 10-15K or so. I like the idea of an amp too....sh&t just do it all:) I had JBL speakers and an amp in my old honda city (came with the car when i bought it). Nice clean sound and powerful too. Where could I fit a sub? I have a real arm rest that folds down, the sub could fit into the trunk and face inwards to the cabin.

Thanks for your suggestion - I was figuring it would be 10-15K or so. I like the idea of an amp too....sh&t just do it all:) I had JBL speakers and an amp in my old honda city (came with the car when i bought it). Nice clean sound and powerful too. Where could I fit a sub? I have a real arm rest that folds down, the sub could fit into the trunk and face inwards to the cabin.

Well you could fit quite cheaply a sub-box under one seat and the amp under the other seat. or the sub could go in a sub box in the trunk....just careful you could start spending quite a bit, wiring etc. if you have a decent head unit, i would first upgrade the speakers, coz they are the biggest factor in good sound. if this is not 'good' enough, add an amp and sub. Just buy the Best front speakers you can afford (you don't need to have back speakers) for most listening (specially if you drive mostly alone or 2).

Well you could fit quite cheaply a sub-box under one seat and the amp under the other seat. or the sub could go in a sub box in the trunk....just careful you could start spending quite a bit, wiring etc. if you have a decent head unit, i would first upgrade the speakers, coz they are the biggest factor in good sound. if this is not 'good' enough, add an amp and sub. Just buy the Best front speakers you can afford (you don't need to have back speakers) for most listening (specially if you drive mostly alone or 2).

Thanks, I've seen the sub boxes before and they should fit under the seat. I've never seen he point of subs stuck in the trunk, unless you want to pop it open at a beach party for some music.

Thanks, I've seen the sub boxes before and they should fit under the seat. I've never seen he point of subs stuck in the trunk, unless you want to pop it open at a beach party for some music.

I have had both, a box under the seat and a "proper" sub in the trunk....the one in the trunk was a far superior set up...while driving....I do not attend beach parties with my car, nor do i listen with the trunk open. If properly done with a kicker sub or so....you can a nice bass sound kick. Again, it has to be driven by an amp. Can't remember but i believe there are sub boxes to put under the seat with an integrated amp, so this could save some money. Just add a decent front unit and as said decent front speakers....happy listening.