Recommended Motorbike Shops/mechanics In Chiang Mai?

vacatioaire

It depends on what kind of motorbike you have.

1. For the common 125cc or smaller bikes and scooters, the local Honda, Yamaha, etc. shop should be all right.

2. For bigger bikes, there is a Harley shop on Wualai Rd., a Triumph shop is on the northwestern corner inside the moat, a Kawasaki shop is on the southern, outer moat road.

3.There is a thai guy who speaks good english on the way between the western moat (heading towards) and airport plaza.

4. There is also a german mechanic in the 2nd or 3rd soi off Chang Moi Rd. Coming from old city on the right hand side.

5. You can also ask the people at Bikers corner or some of the big bike expats at Mad Dog, both on Moonmuang Rd.

Edited by Beng

the best shop i experienced is the ray bike shop near the chang phueak red truck station. very knowledgeable and honest mechanic, lots of unique bike go over there. the other time i went, ray was doing up a beemer boxer engine and sometimes back someone in samui actually sent his bike over here for a rebuilt.

Edited by barefoot1988

Regarding a reliable mechanic I don't have any recommendation. However, after reading this thread and some other articles on m.c. dealers I want to share/vent some things. I went with my Thai g/f to look at Honda 150's at the Honda showroom near the airport. We saw 2 of these bikes parked outside and when we went inside there were no - zero - 150's. Lots of smaller scooters and the Vespa 150's and an aggressive salesman who talked a lot to my g/f and blatantly ignored me. I couldn't understand what he was saying but I got the point: there were no Honda 150's in stock, which we already knew. We walked over to look at the Vespa's and the guy yelled at us in Thai and my g/f walked over and I followed - to look at a 150 that was parked around the side. Right. I asked if I could test drive it and he said that it belonged to someone who worked there. So, why was he bothering us, I wondered? He didn't offer to make a sale, order a bike in whatever colors we wanted, yad a yad a yah. He just said they would have more 150's next month - and none of the other dealers had the bikes in stock either.

After reading some of the articles I have learned that others have experienced this kind of indifference to buyers and that the price and availability varies from one shop to the next - and from one day to the next.

Also, I would like to mention that g/f and I took her two Yamaha scooters to the dealer by the Kad Suan Keow a couple times - for oil changes, new tires, new battery..; and I told them to change the spark plug on one bike that was hard to start. They refused to do this. They said it was covered by the warranty so I shouldn't worry about it. When I said I could get new spark plug somewhere else they said that would nullify the warranty. The last time that we went there I again requested they change the spark plug. When we were at the cashier to pay for the work I saw they had not charged me for a spark plug. That was because they forgot about it, they said. The man at the desk suggested they change the spark plug - only 89 b and it would only take 5 minutes, he said - like it was his idea.

Is it just me? Or what kind of saving-face or passive aggression, don't-give-a-dam_n attitude is going around here?

Edited by Computrrage

Is it just me? Or what kind of saving-face or passive aggression, don't-give-a-dam_n attitude is going around here?

Judging by your nickname and the fact that you hijacked this post, then yeah, in all likelyhood it''s you.

I've bought 2 bikes from Niyom Phanich (Honda near the airport) and one from Nat Honda over the past few years and the sales and servicing staff have always been very pleasant to both myself and my (Thai) wife. Just remember - attitude mirrors attitude ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey.

the best shop i experienced is the ray bike shop near the chang phueak red truck station. very knowledgeable and honest mechanic, lots of unique bike go over there. the other time i went, ray was doing up a beemer boxer engine and sometimes back someone in samui actually sent his bike over here for a rebuilt.

Yes he could do a rebuild for you and probably at the best price.