Getting Caught Short...............

eyecatcher

eyecatcher said, "I last had a tetanus injection 35yr ago and as for rabies…well; who has had one??? It’s a myth to Westerners."

Not a myth to all of us Westerners. I keep my International Certification of Vaccination current. That includes rabies vaccinations. As noted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "

Once clinical signs [of rabies] manifest, most patients die in 7–14 days." Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam are all considered high risk countries by the

UK's Health protection Agency.

My general theory is that if there is a safe and effective vaccine for a disease, I'll take it. In this ever more globally connected world, you never know what you might be exposed to or when.

David

Agree what you say; I wrote that comment in contect of being English...UK border control pays very high regard to keep our Island quarantined and safe from rabies which we know exists in our neighbouring country France. And have to say in all my life they have done a great job, as I am not aware of any cases let alone deaths.

We have been lucky and dont appreciate the extent of this disease elsewhere,... but I am learning fast as you know.

Get well soonsmile.png

Just one of those days- wrong place, wrong time..Chok Dee natongue.png

Has anyone been back to check on the poor dog, i mean after biting eyecatcher the dog could be seriously ill !!!!!

the only thing i could have passed on was genital herpes, so its not the first time i have been with a dog

• Like 1

There were some pretty aggressive dogs in my Thai family's village, used to surround me every time I walked by full of aggression, I kept my hands in my pockets, kept walking and ignored them, always seemed to work.

A few months ago, they disappeared. The pack had done its usual ritual of aggression to unfamiliar folk, then one took a bite. Next day, all were taken out of the village and killed. No messing about here, one dog overstepped the mark, the lot were killed. Whether people think its right or wrong, dogs can be dangerous, people don't take chances.

Hope all is well for you eyecatcher!

Normally a single dog won't act near as aggressively as a group of them... When 3-4-5 or more hang out together - the Wolf Pack Mentality sets in, Then the barking and snarling goes to rushing, circling, and attacking - and not just one... And that is just the old dogs in the pub... those dogs out on the street are all together a much more serious matter... :)

Nice thing happened today; the hospital phoned me to ask how i was, and to make sure i dont forget to keep taking the tablets and also to come back saturday for another follow up injection. That was the Lanna hospital.

I have never heard of a UK hospital ever doing that, but maybe they do.

If the dog was rabid and passed it on to you, you will most likely die of rabies if you don't take all the shots. That's why they called.

eyecatcher said, "I last had a tetanus injection 35yr ago and as for rabies…well; who has had one??? It’s a myth to Westerners."

Not a myth to all of us Westerners. I keep my International Certification of Vaccination current. That includes rabies vaccinations. As noted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "

Once clinical signs [of rabies] manifest, most patients die in 7–14 days." Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam are all considered high risk countries by the

UK's Health protection Agency.

My general theory is that if there is a safe and effective vaccine for a disease, I'll take it. In this ever more globally connected world, you never know what you might be exposed to or when.

David

Good idea, however for those who may not know, rabies treatment is something like 5 or 6 shots. The vaccine is simply the first two of those shots. If you get bitten, you still need to go to the hospital and get shots

Rabies is 100% fatal. I recall hearing of only two surviving cases. These two rabies stricken patients had to have burr holes drilled in their heads to allow inter cranial pressure release, and IV fluids 24/7 for a month or more, I am not sure of what antibiotic or other treatment they may have received. It took many months of recovery. Not sure of any cognitive loss or not...

Nice thing happened today; the hospital phoned me to ask how i was, and to make sure i dont forget to keep taking the tablets and also to come back saturday for another follow up injection. That was the Lanna hospital.

I have never heard of a UK hospital ever doing that, but maybe they do.

If the dog was rabid and passed it on to you, you will most likely die of rabies if you don't take all the shots. That's why they called.

w00t.gif not sure what to do first: write my will or max out my credit card.................they didnt tell me I will die; what nice people

A Thai woman friend just told me this old Thai saying / proverb .. "dok fah kub maa wat" (sorry I don't type Thai yet)... Roughly translated = 'a flower in heaven and a dog in the wat' - meaning "A good and rich lady..becomes a couple with a poor and ugly man" :)