Replacing Alpine Dva-9861 In Pjs Possible?

hansje1980

Hello

I'm kinda tired of my stock Alpine DVA-9861 which came with my PJS and a screen in the headunit.

The reason I'm tired of it is because there is no way to plugin an USB stick for my MP3's.

My question is, can I easily replace it with ANY brand and model car radio and will it still be working with my built-in videoscreen head unit ?

Or does the screen only work with DVA players ?

Tips/advice for good systems are most welcome. Max budget is 5000.

Thanks in advance,

H.

PS. Asked my dealer, he said I can not change it, and must leave it alone and forget about USB :S

You can change it without any problems. Your budget of 5.000 thb is a bit low though. Crank up your budget to 8000 or 9000 and you'll be fine.

www.sr-sound.com/

I had my car done at this store. I am very happy with it. Why don't you give them a call and ask if they can do it for you.

PS: I did replace the whole headunit not only the DVA player. You can pretty much replace it with a decent headunit for 9000 THB (kenwood, jvc).

I sold my Alpine for 12.000 THB to some guy who wanted an original piece.

You can change it without any problems. Your budget of 5.000 thb is a bit low though. Crank up your budget to 8000 or 9000 and you'll be fine.

www.sr-sound.com/

I had my car done at this store. I am very happy with it. Why don't you give them a call and ask if they can do it for you.

Where is this place? might pop in and have a word also.

www.sr-sound.com/

Srinakarin Road near Central Bang-Na

www.sr-sound.com/

Thanks guys, I might check it out as well!!

Join me JaiLai, maybe we get discount if we buy the same :)

Now I'm wondering how to sell my old DVA and screen though... Simply putting it online on some farang orientated classifieds site does not really help, I would love to sell it for 12,000 as well! :/

@JoeW: Did your new videopanel/screen from another brand fit perfectly in the same space of the old unit? If yes, could you share a picture ? :-)

www.sr-sound.com/

Thanks guys, I might check it out as well!!

Join me JaiLai, maybe we get discount if we buy the same smile.png

Now I'm wondering how to sell my old DVA and screen though... Simply putting it online on some farang orientated classifieds site does not really help, I would love to sell it for 12,000 as well! :/

@JoeW: Did your new videopanel/screen from another brand fit perfectly in the same space of the old unit? If yes, could you share a picture ? :-)

I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning and upload them. It is not a factory fit, but it ain't bad at all.

I have the JVC KW846 (http://jvc.co.in/car/av_receiver/kw-avx846/index.html). They still go now for around 14000 THB.

Before the JVC and my PJS I had a Kenwood DX4031 in my Toyota which I bought for 8000 THB.

The owner of SRS speaks a bit of English and they are actually really fair (no farang price).

He owns Mitsubishi Lancer fully tuned so he has a lot of experience with Mitsus.

In the weekend, do expect a long line of people installing new radios.

I sold my alpine unit through a buddy who is a member on Pajero-society (a Thai forum for Pajero owners).

www.sr-sound.com/

Central Bang-Na is not on Srinakarin, it's on the Trad Road.

www.sr-sound.com/

Central Bang-Na is not on Srinakarin, it's on the Trad Road.

Didn't know how else to explain it... it's on Srinakarin road between BIG C and Foodland on the opposite side of the road...

@JoeW

Can you please post a Google maps link for people who are not from BKK

I went there today (monday is closed) and I was not satisfied at all, they tried to sell me their 9800 baht one which is only a touchscreen with cd radio usb etc.. I only want the player itself out to be replaced, not my screen...

They replied that the Alpine stock dva player can not be replaced with something else because there are nuch players on the market which included both video in/out as well as USB...

If you still want to visit it, here is the correct Google link: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.638991,100.633434&ll=13.638876,100.633425&spn=0.008914,0.016512&num=1&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=13.638803,100.633375&panoid=wRg1V6IhOBcITDhAvc-yKg&cbp=12,277.24,,0,-14.21

It's right next to UOB bank.

There have been a few threads on this same topic in the past including some solutions and photos of replacement systems. If you have the time and patience it may be worth searching back thru the old threads.

Further to that, I just did a search on "Alpine" across the motoring forum and it came up with a bunch of the related threads so suggest you try the same.

MRO summarised the options in an old post below.

Not up to speed on the latest in the Alpine range, but I do know they the unit in the PJS is well dated (around 7 years old), and that there are definitely newer models that have much better iPod integration, and will still interface with the OEM screen - though you would need to buy a DVD player to get LCD screen support (a CD player or one of the newer driveless units will not support the screen).

The other option is to replace the screen itself with a new double-DIN unit that does it all. Both Mitsu and the aftermarket sell dash kits (brackets and a different shroud) to allow a full-size double-DIN to be fitted were the OEM screen is.. If choosing this option, you should be able to get around 10K-13K Baht as a trade-in for the OEM DVD player + LCD.

Don't think the old posts include any suggestions for good 1 DIN DVD player with decent features to replace the DVA-9861 if only the head unit is replaced and not the screen, as hansje wanted. I expect a unit with composite video output should work with the PJS display.

2DIN DVD receivers like JoeW's JVC that replace the screen and OEM head unit are easier to find. JoeW, what did you use to fill the space where OEM DVD player mounts, Is there a storage box molding or something similar available?

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply.

I finally managed to replace the old (stock) Alpine "dvd receiver".

I replaced it with the Pioneer DVH-335UB, and can keep my screen. I don't know why, but I can't use my screen to navigate through my MP3 folders and play/pause/etc, but that is not really needed.

I paid 4,800 for it at some shop in Srinigadrin road close to Seacon Square. If interested in the same shop, just let me know, and I give a Google location link.

Now 2 questions:

1) Howcome my sound quality is 10 times better than my Alpine, I thought my Alpine was already amazing but WOW the Pioneer somehow is able to put my volume even up twice as high without noise side-effects! I always thought this was impossible because the speakers are still the same.

2) For howmuch should I sell my old Alpine receiver? I can't read through all this Thai language based used items websites. It comes without the screen. Only the receiver itself with frontpanel ofcourse, a manual and a remote control. Will it be more? or will it be less than the 4,800 I paid for the Pioneer ?

Cheers,

Hans

post-108675-0-19080300-1357712594_thumb.

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply.

I finally managed to replace the old (stock) Alpine "dvd receiver".

I replaced it with the Pioneer DVH-335UB, and can keep my screen. I don't know why, but I can't use my screen to navigate through my MP3 folders and play/pause/etc, but that is not really needed.

I paid 4,800 for it at some shop in Srinigadrin road close to Seacon Square. If interested in the same shop, just let me know, and I give a Google location link.

Now 2 questions:

1) Howcome my sound quality is 10 times better than my Alpine, I thought my Alpine was already amazing but WOW the Pioneer somehow is able to put my volume even up twice as high without noise side-effects! I always thought this was impossible because the speakers are still the same.

2) For howmuch should I sell my old Alpine receiver? I can't read through all this Thai language based used items websites. It comes without the screen. Only the receiver itself with frontpanel ofcourse, a manual and a remote control. Will it be more? or will it be less than the 4,800 I paid for the Pioneer ?

Cheers,

Hans

The touch functionality won't work anymore as it's designed only to work with specific Alpine models - your new player is connected as an AUX video input - just the same as they way a reversing camera would work with it - so is now working in pure 'monitor' mode.

Don't expect too much for the old Alpine unit if selling w/out the screen - I'd say 1.5 - 2.5K Baht max, considering you don't have boxes and it's in used condition.

As for sound quality, Alpine have never really focussed on speaker-level outputs - most people who fit Alpine source units hook them up to external amplification.. and lest we forget the Alpine unit in your 2011 PJS is a 2006 vintage ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jayman, The Zulex link is still working for me but as an alternative you could try http://www.zulex.co.th and navigating from there.

I have not tried Zulex, don't think they had this package a couple of years ago when I got the Alpine GPS and a Bluetooth phone kit for my PJS.

The Zulex facia might not look as nice as Alpine but the Bluetooth, Phone and USB features look good compared to the DVA-9861 used in the previous model PJS. Probably more integrated than add ons as well.

• 7" TFT LCD Touch screen Comfortable with the insert from the front.
  • Player DVD, VCD, Audio CD, Radio(FM/AM), Bluetooth
  • Support multi-type of discs (DVD-RW, MPEG 4, DIVX, DVD, VCD, CD, MP3, MP4, WMA, JPG last memory)
  • Support multi-language (Menu&Title name) Thai, English, Chinese, etc…
  • Hand Free Calling with mobile phone support memories 8 mobile phone, record history, dial pad, show contact name of your mobile phone (Thai and English language contact name).
  • Support multimedia USB 1.0, 2.0 audio and video.
  • Support dowmload from MP3, USB into car audio.
  • System Radio Fm / Am memory for 30 stations.
  • Support connection navigator map
  • Built-in GPS navigation software with Speed ​​Navi
  • Control function of car audio via steering wheel control.
  • Support function Auto Rear View.
  • Support Night Mode Technology (TFT-OFF)
  • Supports PAL / NTSC .
  • Supports VIDEO & AUDIO input / output.
  • OEM Plug (Easy for install and without short circuit problem)

I notice the new PJS is promoted showing Bluetooth/USB/ipod options but the stereo still looks like the DVA-9861 but with orange backlight. Wonder how Mitsu achieved the

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

Jayman, The Zulex link is still working for me but as an alternative you could try http://www.zulex.co.th and navigating from there.

I have not tried Zulex, don't think they had this package a couple of years ago when I got the Alpine GPS and a Bluetooth phone kit for my PJS.

The Zulex facia might not look as nice as Alpine but the Bluetooth, Phone and USB features look good compared to the DVA-9861 used in the previous model PJS. Probably more integrated than add ons as well.

• 7" TFT LCD Touch screen Comfortable with the insert from the front.
  • Player DVD, VCD, Audio CD, Radio(FM/AM), Bluetooth
  • Support multi-type of discs (DVD-RW, MPEG 4, DIVX, DVD, VCD, CD, MP3, MP4, WMA, JPG last memory)
  • Support multi-language (Menu&Title name) Thai, English, Chinese, etc…
  • Hand Free Calling with mobile phone support memories 8 mobile phone, record history, dial pad, show contact name of your mobile phone (Thai and English language contact name).
  • Support multimedia USB 1.0, 2.0 audio and video.
  • Support dowmload from MP3, USB into car audio.
  • System Radio Fm / Am memory for 30 stations.
  • Support connection navigator map
  • Built-in GPS navigation software with Speed ​​Navi
  • Control function of car audio via steering wheel control.
  • Support function Auto Rear View.
  • Support Night Mode Technology (TFT-OFF)
  • Supports PAL / NTSC .
  • Supports VIDEO & AUDIO input / output.
  • OEM Plug (Easy for install and without short circuit problem)

I notice the new PJS is promoted showing Bluetooth/USB/ipod options but the stereo still looks like the DVA-9861 but with orange backlight. Wonder how Mitsu achieved the

The link is now working.

I'm getting the new 2013 2.5 GT but it seems that the bluetooth option only comes with the 4x4 and v6 models and not the top 2wd :(

I would like to have the bluetooth option and it already comes with the touch screen and rear camera but no bluetooth and gps. I need to look into this more to see what options I have to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Jayman,

I saw a new PJS GT 4WD and V6 in a Mitsu showroom and the V6 has a completely different stereo. The V6 stereo looks like a 2DIN unit with the screen coming further out of the facia. There is a storage box where the Alpine head unit sits in the GT. That would explain the different features on the V6.

The 4x4 GT stereo looks very similar to the 2WD. Did you get your Bluetooth working with the plug in Mic mentioned in the "3-months-research-and-finally-chose-my-new-car-pajero-sport" thread?

Jayman,

I saw a new PJS GT 4WD and V6 in a Mitsu showroom and the V6 has a completely different stereo. The V6 stereo looks like a 2DIN unit with the screen coming further out of the facia. There is a storage box where the Alpine head unit sits in the GT. That would explain the different features on the V6.

The 4x4 GT stereo looks very similar to the 2WD. Did you get your Bluetooth working with the plug in Mic mentioned in the "3-months-research-and-finally-chose-my-new-car-pajero-sport" thread?

They quoted me 3000thb for the microphone which seems quite excessive so will take the car to a stereo place and see what is required and if it's something standard and they don't want to offer me a fair price then I will purchase one from ebay.

It's on my list of things to do for sure but just haven't made it into a car stereo shop yet.

I'm about to add an ipad mini to mine... cant find a good docking solution yet though....

Have seen a few ipad mini installs now, but all have used custom fabricated dash parts..

Have been considering adding one to my old PJS too - I recently got it back from long-term loan to a friend, but it sounds a bit sad compared compared to my other cars now.. Have had some visions of an iPad mini, JBL MS8 and one or two Alpine PDX-9 amps - then maybe I'd drive it more ;)

mmm, that's a tempting idea, the sound system has never been the strongest point of the PJS. The lack of a Multi Info Display is another omission, is there an apple equivalent of the Torque app?

Alternatively an android tablet with Torque and a Bluetooth OBD adapter would be a good toy. Wonder if anyone has tried these in a PJS?

mmm, that's a tempting idea, the sound system has never been the strongest point of the PJS. The lack of a Multi Info Display is another omission, is there an apple equivalent of the Torque app?

Alternatively an android tablet with Torque and a Bluetooth OBD adapter would be a good toy. Wonder if anyone has tried these in a PJS?

Yep, there are several OBD-II and Accelerometer based apps for iOS - here's a couple:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8 - works with bluetooth and wifi OBD-II dongles

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dynolicious-classic/id286208729?mt=8 - uses the built-in accelerometer and GPS.

Plenty for similar stuff for Android tablets too, but I don't know how well the small menu/home/back buttons and smaller icons would work in a car dash...

Yeah, where to put it is the problem. I got it today and as a temporary solution am using one of those spider thingys to hang it off the air con duct closest to steering wheel.

I've seen some good looking suction devices online that stick to the dash rather than the windshield. Thats the next stop-gap.

Part of me wants to do the custom dash board installation ... ... even at that its hard to figure out best layout ... Other priorities right now ...But I'm looking forward to be able to sync the latest download over wifi while the mini is in the car parked out front.

I have a bt OBD adapter and the torque app on my android device. I have used it in my zafira. I just haven't located the obd connector and tried it yet in the PJS. I will report back when I do.