Chiang Mai Development - Transportation Center At The End Of The Line

Mapguy

There are various threads discussing different aspects of growth, local and regional in Chiang Mai. Occasionally, one reads of claims that Chiang Mai can or should be a regional or "sub-regional" economic hub for SE asia, but looking at a recent map of rail development in SE Asia and seeing the growing road system from north to south from China to Bangkok and beyond, Chiang Mai seems to be at the end of the line.

To an important extent, yes, Chiang Mai is a NW Thai regional agricultural, administrative, recreational and educational "hub," but how much actual or potential major manufacturing or industrial development is there? Development so far seems to have been spurred more by historical causes (the old La'Na capital/kingdom absorbed by Siam to fend off the British and French), the need to serve as a regional center for the national government to reach out to the NW of the country, and a recreation, now retirement destination. Otherwise, Chiang Mai definitely lacks connectivity for greater development.

The lack of connectivity is reflected in the attached article from The New York Times showing the development of rail service in SE Asia. The best Chiang Mai comes out is a spur destination.

If you look at the existing and expanding road system, you'll also notice the same thing. [Google Maps works] Chiang Mai has been bypassed by the key north-south routes. Major road development appears also to circumnavigate Chiang Mai. There is some road expansion from Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong that is part of China's reach to the sea (through Laos and across the Mekong), but other road development goes west and south through Burma to India and the sea.

Air service is available, of course. For increased passenger service it probably holds some continuing promise as the city grows as a service center, but for purposes of trade, how important is it compared to air hubs in the south and east? Limited agricultural trade is done by air. Bulk commodities like rice are too heavy. Otherwise, what trade? Creative City "handicrafts?" No, it appears to profit on passenger trade of tourists and of administrators and business in Bangkok. Yes, there are international connections, but these appear to be based primarily on tourism.

River connectivity? The age of floating teak logs down the river is over. Barge traffic? The Ping is not the Mississippi.

But have faith!! Chiang Mai IS connected! By the internet. Physical connectivity isn't always needed for economic development in a growing service economy. Competitively, trouble is as such coverage is expanded every place shares it. How to be competitive as a "soft" entrepreneurial, educational and research center is probably the key question. Maybe the "Creative City" design makes some sense.

Now, what are we going to do about Loi Kroh?! (Sorry! Just couldn't resist! It's a joke! Really!)

Planned Updates to Southeast Asia’s Rail Network - Graphic - NYTimes.com.pdf

Planned Updates to Southeast Asia’s Rail Network - Graphic - NYTimes.com.pdf

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

From a personally selfish point of view I am very happy that Chiang Mai is being bypassed by major road systems and remains a railway spur. If you live out of town it is a very charming place to live the way it is, and there is already enough traffic and people for those that want that type of 'progress'.

I for one have no desire whatsoever for Chiang Mai to become a regional or sub-regional economic hub for South East Asia...take it somewhere else and leave us in peace !

Agree. Hopefully the proposed 'Shin Mai' of a few years ago complete with long haul air traffic and an overhead railway around the city will never happen. Can you imagine the mess the city would be in for years.... assuming it was ever completed.

From a personally selfish point of view I am very happy that Chiang Mai is being bypassed by major road systems and remains a railway spur. If you live out of town it is a very charming place to live the way it is, and there is already enough traffic and people for those that want that type of 'progress'.

I for one have no desire whatsoever for Chiang Mai to become a regional or sub-regional economic hub for South East Asia...take it somewhere else and leave us in peace !

Agree. Hopefully the proposed 'Shin Mai' of a few years ago complete with long haul air traffic and an overhead railway around the city will never happen. Can you imagine the mess the city would be in for years.... assuming it was ever completed.

+2

Indeed Chiang Mai is part of the "Greater Mekong Subregion Economic Corridor System" planning (Google it; innumerable links) but it's clear that the main transportation refers to road traffic. And one thing is sure - it will come.

Intersting posit, I've wondered for years what industry CM has to fill the increasing rate of condo and house building but am still scratching my head as it sure isn't the increasingly tighter western expats. Apparently Taksin in the old days had big plans including shifting the capitol here and highways through Burma into India but don't know if they are still on the agenda. Yet the development continues unabated, seems many Thais know what I don't don't or just riding the bubble? When I return in many years it will be interesting to see what has happened to the place and where it is heading, will there be Chinese language signs everywhere? I have a couple of minor properties in play waiting for city expansion, may or may not play out, but not change your life stuff anyway.

Indeed Chiang Mai is part of the "Greater Mekong Subregion Economic Corridor System" planning (Google it; innumerable links) but it's clear that the main transportation refers to road traffic. And one thing is sure - it will come.

I don't think so. From Burma to BKK by road you either go down hwy 1 via Lampang, or via Mae Sot & Tak, both routes bypassing Chiang Mai. From China, the route also doesn't come through CM. Trains, forget it.

I don't think so. From Burma to BKK by road you either go down hwy 1 via Lampang, or via Mae Sot & Tak, both routes bypassing Chiang Mai. From China, the route also doesn't come through CM. Trains, forget it.

I can only repeat my advise to use Google, and I gave the keyword to look for ...

My wife is deeply involved in this matter through the Asian Development Bank (a billions of dollars project), and I also work in logistics administration business. I know what I'm writing about ... But you are right --- you don't need to think so ...

I didn't say the traffic will go through the inner city of Chiang Mai.

Edited by rebo

Intersting posit, I've wondered for years what industry CM has to fill the increasing rate of condo and house building but am still scratching my head as it sure isn't the increasingly tighter western expats. Apparently Taksin in the old days had big plans including shifting the capitol here and highways through Burma into India but don't know if they are still on the agenda. Yet the development continues unabated, seems many Thais know what I don't don't or just riding the bubble? When I return in many years it will be interesting to see what has happened to the place and where it is heading, will there be Chinese language signs everywhere? I have a couple of minor properties in play waiting for city expansion, may or may not play out, but not change your life stuff anyway.

Why Chinese signs?

visit Pattya (if you dare) and see the English signs which have come down and replaced by Russian ones.