Visa On Arrival - Onward Ticket

For someone flying from Singapore to Phuket and expecting to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply for a 7 day extension for a total 37 day stay, will the airline question or deny boarding because the onward ticket is more than 30 days from the date of entry into the country? Or could immigration ask to see the onward ticket and question the same thing?

Edited by sunluvr

It seems to be airline-policy dependent. Immigration have never asked me for any proof of onward travel, but a couple of years ago Emirates forced me to buy an onward ticket before they let me on the flight to Bkk.

As I understand it the airline is held responsible for you if immigration refuse to let you in for some reason.

It seems to be airline-policy dependent. Immigration have never asked me for any proof of onward travel, but a couple of years ago Emirates forced me to buy an onward ticket before they let me on the flight to Bkk.

As I understand it the airline is held responsible for you if immigration refuse to let you in for some reason.

It is up to the airline and perhaps even the agent checking you in. I doubt you'll have a problem if you have an onward ticket...even if it is more than 30 days out.

Let's move this over to the visa forum for some more help.

Topic Moved.

I was asked by the agent (nice Asian girl at CDG) about my Visa, she could not find it, not surprising really as I have an Extension, she just wanted to check that I had the correct visa to allow entry, as she was aware of the visa on arrival rule.

Why not apply to get a visa or book a ticket out that you are not gonna use.

Why would anyone plan such a trip is the question - if you have time to plan it would make more sense to obtain a tourist visa for about 1,000 baht that would cover the full period than have to make a special trip to immigration during your visit to obtain a 7 day extension for 1,900 baht. Understand if last second or not in an area of easy access but Singapore is quite compact if time is available.

Strictly speaking without a visa a ticket out within 30 days is required. However, within Asia this is often not enforced by the airlines. Especially budget carriers. But it can be.

I thought so. Can't remember, that any Airline staff ever checked my visa for Thailand, at Changi.

The simple know more about extension of stay, and the possibilities, to visit a neighboring country.

And that Thai Immigration has other things in mind, as to check ongoing flights!

Also you have a ticket, ongoing, so I don't see a problem.

In case, someone is asking, " I'm planning to visit Cambodia (or to extend)", that should be ok.

But I really doubt, that anyone cares!

Edited by noob7

Strictly speaking without a visa a ticket out within 30 days is required. However, within Asia this is often not enforced by the airlines. Especially budget carriers. But it can be.

I thought so. Can't remember, that any Airline staff ever checked my visa for Thailand, at Changi.

The simple know more about extension of stay, and the possibilities, to visit a neighboring country.

And that Thai Immigration has other things in mind, as to check ongoing flights!

Also you have a ticket, ongoing, so I don't see a problem.

In case, someone is asking, " I'm planning to visit Cambodia (or to extend)", that should be ok.

But I really doubt, that anyone cares!

I did read about a guy coming here from KL. Was denied boarding due to no visa or onward ticket. It's very rare, but can happen.

Please do not post incorrect information. I just removed a post. Having just arrived from the US, I can tell you my experience. I checked in at the electronic kiosk...only to have to visit the desk so they could check my visa. An agent was there at the electronic kiosk and even she couldn't get me past this.

I was on the return portion of my ticket. I showed them my visa and was all set. I've had to do this every time I've flown here in the past several years.

Well all I can say is our experiences are exactly opposite as to the problems at the kiosk, as far as flying goes it seems like that part is about as often and just as recent.

The difference might be my ticket originated in the US and yours did not.

I don't want to belabor the point and get a vacation but in my post I siad as it applys to the US , I guess I should have been more specfic and said as it applys to leaving the US on a US purchased ticket.

Edited by MrRealDeal

I've found a reasonable backup plan - if at check-in they require an onward ticket, I've found an 1800 baht Tiger flight to SG available on many days within the 30 days and have lots of time between flights to buy that if necessary... will update after the flight

I've found a reasonable backup plan - if at check-in they require an onward ticket, I've found an 1800 baht Tiger flight to SG available on many days within the 30 days and have lots of time between flights to buy that if necessary... will update after the flight

Yes, it's actually quite easy. Most airlines will sell you a fully refundable ticket. Just make sure your credit card can take the charge. I've had to do this a few times. No biggie. Refunds within 60 days or so.