Google Nexus With Hspa

alfieconn

The 3G version of the Google Nexus 7 is relatively new, and versions/specs are still a bit confusing.

The Google Play Store site doesn't help as it says: http://www.google.com/nexus/7/specs/

Connectivity

32GB + Mobile data version only: Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+

32GB + Mobile data version only: GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

32GB + Mobile data version only: 3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

32GB + Mobile data version only: HSPA+ 21 Mbps

Another source seems to indicate a single version which supports:

Quad-band GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Penta-band 3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

So as long as model is purchased unlocked from a 'neutral' source (i.e. the Play Store) then you would be fine here on any/all GSM and 3G networks.

Note that the N7/3G ships from the Play Store with an AT&T SIM, but it is not locked to AT&T. And T-Mobile is selling a version of the N7/3G.

I was in the U.S. last week and saw N7/32 GB/WiFI only units in Best Buy and Staples - but I was not looking for a 3G version. I may get an N10 on my next trip, or just an older SGS Tab (1/original) 10.1.

Thanks! That's great news, though I would really like the 3G version because I spend quite a lot of time in India where WiFi is anything but ubiquitous and 2G mobile internet starts from 60 Bt per month with 6GB data allowance and you can get 12GB for less than 600 Bt at 3G/HSPA speeds.

Thanks! That's great news, though I would really like the 3G version because I spend quite a lot of time in India where WiFi is anything but ubiquitous and 2G mobile internet starts from 60 Bt per month with 6GB data allowance and you can get 12GB for less than 600 Bt at 3G/HSPA speeds.

Don't need 3G if your smartphone already has 3G. Just use your smartphone to create a "portable Wifi hotspot" with your own password, and your tablet can use that Wifi signal. Correct?

smile.png

I had thought that way before but then decided it would be more convenient to have the option to have a SIM in the tablet and save the phone battery. I know in Thailand mobile internet is still pretty expensive but when I'm in India which is a lot then it will be useful to have a SIM dedicated to the tablet.

I've just seen that all 3 models are listed on the Powerbuy site but only the 8GB model is in stock.

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/SearchResult.aspx?search=asus%20nexus7c

cheers

damole