Obtaining A Thai Birth Certificate Abroad

sunspun

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to obtain a thai b.c. for my son who was born in Canada? The embassy here has given me info only in Thai and my husband isn't sure of all the translations, and he isn't very good at doing official sort of stuff :D so it's up to me.

Particularly, I'd like to know if all english papers need to be translated to thai, and what exactly does the Notary Public need to sign? How do they know what they are signing if it's in thai?

Thanks.

whistling.gif Moderator .... perhaps you should move this to the Visa subforum as they have more experience with this kind of thing.

Poster: I'm pretty sure that as long as one of the parents is Thai you can get a Thai pasport and have the birth registered as a Thai persom ,,,, but I just don't know off hand what the documents are you will need.

That's why the visa subforum is probably the place for this question,

They deal with such similar questions often.

tongue.png

I presume you are still in Canada.

You must have the Canadian birth certificate certified and translated into Thai. Especially your and his names are of importance, as that will be his offcial name in Thailand. Make sure that if you already have your name in Thai on official documents you use the same name for the birth certificate.

At the same time you can apply for a Thai passport for the child.

After a while you will recieve a Thai birth certificate and a Thai passport.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=113 gives some information in English

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/form/form_birth.pdf The embassy in Autralia also gives some info in English

I remember my wife doing it in the UK. - and it was a trip to the embassy with my daughter's UK birth certificate, and they produced a Thai birth certificate from that. (The Thai Birth Certificate has to be issued to get an ID number, and with the Thai Birth Certificate, you can get the Thai passport.). You can also then put the child onto a house book in Thailand, usually whichever house the Thai parent is registered at.

I don't remember any translation being required, but I do know the Passport Office in Bangkok wouldn't accept the UK Birth Certificate. We had to take the UK Birth Certificate to the Thai embassy in the UK, and they then issued a Thai one. (It makes some sense as it means that instead of the Passport office having to know about the birth certificates for every country in the world, instead you only have the local embassy dealing with their local birth certificates, which is possibly why a translation wasn't required.)

There are some forms that need to be filled in, in Thai, at the time, and some of that will probably included the child's name transliterated into Thai, but my wife dealt with that, so I don't know much about them. I'd expect it to be a similar process in Canada. Obviously, with the size of the country, I hope you live near the embassy or a consulate... (And for passport issuance for children, remember both parents need to be in attendance usually, so it's not something you can send your husband off to do on his own...)

thanks for the info. why didn't the officer at the embassy send me the link to the consulate where the info was in english?! there is less info and requirements on the english page, so maybe i'll go through the vancouver consulate instead :)

bkk_mike no i am quite far from any of the consulates unfortunately, but the thai page says you can apply in the mail