Thanks For All Your Help

I have one more question to ask, My girlfriend is currently building a Rice Mill factory near her village currently around the value of 6 or 7 Mil. Once it is up and running what would be the chances of getting a work permit for the business? (i beleive its a company business) I really am unsure how work permits work in thailand and due to the fact that she is my GF soon to be wife i was thinking the company could offer me a work permit.

Supervillain,

If you haven't contacted a lawyer for legal advice I would advise you do so before you do any more work or investment on your rice mill.

To my mind you are taking a huge risk if you have not already taken legal advice.

At the very least you should not be investing the kind of money you are talking about without having addressed the following:

I would have set up a Thai limited company under my control before starting the invest (Talk to a lawyer about that)

Having set up the company I would have got my work permit before starting to invest (Talk to a lawyer about that)

I would have purchased the land on which the Company is going to do business in the company name OR got a 30 year lease in the company name before investing any money in buildings, machinary or other investments. (Talk to a lawyer about that)

------------

If you haven't addressed these issues with a lawyer, and if you have invested using someone else's name then get legal advice now - today and don't bring any more money over until you have had legal advice.

-------------

SV will you actually be working at the rice mill?

Guesthouse, he doesn't say he made the investment himself, perhaps it's her cash?

^correct, none of the money being invested is mine. All 6 or 7 mil is hers... but back to my question how easy/hard would it be to get a work permit for my GF's company business?

perhaps it's her cash?

Perhaps..... Let's see.

GH, I'll bet you a beer it's not his cash invested. :o:D

SV will you actually be working at the rice mill?

Guesthouse, he doesn't say he made the investment himself, perhaps it's her cash?

^correct, none of the money being invested is mine. All 6 or 7 mil is hers... but back to my question how easy/hard would it be to get a work permit for my GF's company business?

Perhaps you could post a little slower next time, I was on for a beer then! :D

Ok, SV, as I said will you be working at the rice mill? If so, it should be fairly easy to sort you out a work permit in some kind of role there.

But don't get the impression that a work permit in Thailand is suitable for every job. As far as I understand it you could get a work permit for a job in the rice mill but if you started teaching for example then that work permit would not cover it. You would need a work permit from the company/institution that you work at.

I'm no expert though but I think that's the way it goes.

Regardless of whose money it is, OP is on the right track (finally). If he wants any actual, legal influence on that Rice mill project he'll need a workpermit. Forming a company is the way to go - and he better hurry while the gf is still hot on him - and while he or gf still have cash to populate the company account with a sufficient amount to cover the WP-requirements plus costs of forming a company.

Having dug this up from one of his earlier posts it would seem most of the money is not her's either

My GF tells me that they dont take it too serouis but you get to earn good money for working in thailand, i am 22 and roughly have around 1.5 million batt between myself and my GF (mostly all that money is my Girlfriends).

Seems, like so often in Thailand, there is a third hand.

haha

Let me break in down for you... There is 6 or 7 mil being invested into the rice mill - the money can not be touched, the company has been set up and everything has begun.

The 1 or 1.5 mil which i spoke about in another post is cash we have in a bank. Money we will use to survive for the time being, at the moment this is our plan. She will be leaving thailand next month to continue her studies in Australia, as for me i will leave the UK when she leaves Thailand and meet her in AU and start my one year work visa. That buys us 1 year of time together whilst the rice mill is being built. After that 1 year i am in trouble as then i need that work permit if i am going to stay in thailand.

After that 1 year i am in trouble as then i need that work permit if i am going to stay in thailand.

Ok, I don't know how much you know about Thailand and the laws and as I said before, I'm no expert but a couple of other questions that may seem simple to you, but I think maybe you are on the wrong path here. Excuse me if I'm wrong. :o

Do you plan to work in the rice mill, or are you hoping to get the work permit from the rice mill company and work elsewhere?

What kind of work are you looking for here? I read on another post your looking at teaching, is that still correct?

You do know that a work permit and visa are different in Thailand right? Coz you don't need a work permit to stay in Thailand for more than a year.

^ im looking into anyway possible that i can get a job in thailand and stay with my GF i dont want to teach but it seems that it is the most popular way.. Regarding my question towards the work permit for my girls rice mill... yeah i was looking to get a work permit to work in the rice mill with my girlfriend. I really dont know much about this situation. but thanks for taking time to help.

by the way.. what the ###### is troll picking? are you applying in some where that im looking for attention? - if so, please grow up.. these topic is very real for me. im sorry if you find that hard to beleive

^ im looking into anyway possible that i can get a job in thailand and stay with my GF i dont want to teach but it seems that it is the most popular way.. Regarding my question towards the work permit for my girls rice mill... yeah i was looking to get a work permit to work in the rice mill with my girlfriend. I really dont know much about this situation. but thanks for taking time to help.

Ok man, as far as I know in other countries such as Oz or wherever you get a work permit and it means you can work here there and everywhere and its no problem, work permit covers it all and is probably supplied by the govt.

In Thailand you get the work permit from the company/institution you work for, and I think when you cease to work for that company you also lose your work permit (but not visa!).

So if you get a work permit from the rice mill, and you decide later to start teaching for a school, since you only have a work permit for the rice mill you would be illegally working at the school. You would need a work permit issued from the school to be legit.

In other words, you can probably get a work permit sorted from the rice mill but it would only be useful to you if you worked at the rice mill and only there.

I think you would be better if you are looking for a teaching job, or something similar that you forget the work permit from the rice mill and concentrate on finding a job elsewhere that supplies a work permit.

Now coz I don't want to lead you down the garden path with bad advice I would say you need to wait until the more expert members on this forum or Sunbelt Asia (sponsors of this forum) are here tomorrow to give you solid (and probably more accurate!) advice, but I hope that helps, I think I'm pretty much right here and they will confirm what I have said.

One more thing now I come to think about it. There's a lot of jobs that foreigners cannot get work permits for, and I think a lot of farming jobs comes under this category so you may not be able to get one at all for the rice mill anyway, although to be honest you may be able to find a way around this.

by the way.. what the ###### is troll picking? are you applying in some where that im looking for attention? - if so, please grow up.. these topic is very real for me. im sorry if you find that hard to beleive

Dont worry about it dude, coz you are a newbie with some questions, some people like to have a pop and call you a troll. Ignore them. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

From what you have said I would imagine that it would be relatively straight forward for you to get a work permit. Some jobs are not allowed permits these include physical labour based positions e.g farming and construction, but if you were set up as a 'export sales manager' or something along those lines then it should not be a problem. As they would have probably had no experience doing the paper work and as I understand it this can be very long winded and difficult if not done before, then a decent lawyer would be invaluable. Generally I believe they would need 4 Thai workers to every foreigner employed and 2 million paid up capital per foreign employee. As bkkmadness said your work permit only allows you to work in the one place.

What would concern me is that you are putting all your eggs in one basket, if something goes wrong between you and the girlfriend and her family/she cancels the work permit then I believe you can keep the visa but you would need a new work permit to work elsewhere. You need to make sure that your visa is a one year multiple entry non-imm B visa. Also if you end up investing any of your money or even just creating a very successful business off what would be a lot of hard work, then you could conceivably end up with nothing save what remains on your visa. :o

I was offered something similar by my current girlfriend, no financial input was required, but felt that I would be so indebted to the family as to make my position very weak if there were any problems and to build up a business and end up with nothing would definitely leave me feeling a little sick. :D

A 60 day tourist visa would give you some time to look for a job and this can easily be extended by thirty days, it is possible to work without being a teacher although if you have the necessary qualifications then that is always a useful full back position.

Edited by Luke06

Before we start jumping down each other's throats about the advice given or getting the wrong end of a story, can we keep in mind that responses are applicable not just to the person who asks, but to others with similar or the same questions.

For example:

If a member here posts a question entitled "How to Own My Own Company in Thailand?" and then goes on to outline his/her personal circumstances surrounding the quesiton.

Then it is certain that a number of other members who might at some time want to own their own company are going to read the post.

A post and the answers to a post are valuable for what they are - Information

If we are to pick people up on 'Getting the Wrong End of Post" then we are losing touch with the real value of this board.

ah dude, if that was aimed at me my disclaimer is: I was only joking around hence the smileys! :D

No offence, I know you meant well with your post and lets face it 99 out of 100 times you would have been perfectly correct and it would have been the farangs money in the pot. :o

Here's a Curious Thing

Having read the OPs previous posts, it seems that he and his girl have had a busy time since his first post on the 17th of February.

I gleen from his first post that his G/F's studies in business law while in OZ ought to put her in good stead for a good job, and her hopes of moving the the UK would be greatly helped, I am sure, with such a qualification.

A few days later the plan is to open a restaraunt and his G/F is heading back to Australia to learn how to 'Cook'. - A restaurant seems on the cards.

Almost imediately, a company is formed and we are now into a rice mill.

While at each turn there seems to be a logical solution to any questions asked.. sort of something up the sleave, so to speak.

I also not, and credit here to TV members, the majority of the advice given has been helpful and positive in its tone.... Which probably accounts for the speed and ease at which this rice mill business has been set up...

these topic is very real for me. im sorry if you find that hard to beleive

Well, I'm beginning to have a problem with one or two aspects of what you are telling us.

Edited by GuestHouse

Having read the OPs previous posts, it seems that he and his girl have had a busy time since his first post on the 17th of February.

I gleen from his first post that his G/F's studies in business law while in OZ ought to put her in good stead for a good job, and her hopes of moving the the UK would be greatly helped, I am sure, with such a qualification.

A few days later the plan is to open a restaraunt and his G/F is heading back to Australia to learn how to 'Cook'.

Yeah, gotta be said, I did find that kinda weird and for sure plenty of trolls come onto this forum.

But I like to think good of people, give them the benefit of the doubt and put it all down to a young indecisive couple who spend everyday looking at new options in somewhat confusing circumstances. I've been there myself so only fair to give some leeway to others. :D

Trolls are fantastic really (not saying the OP is one), they come to this forum to try to cause problems with it, often start threads that bring numerous pages of content and information to this website, therefore increasing the websites value on the net, the amount of people that find it and subsequently join up here and click on adwords, book a hotel or add new content/information themselves and in the end make the site they are trying to cause problems for more money. Trolls often benefit a website like this it seems. :o

So lets give this OP the benefit of the doubt, advise him as best we can, and if it is a troll then it doesn't matter much anyway at the end of the day. :D

A few days later the plan is to open a restaraunt and his G/F is heading back to Australia to learn how to 'Cook'. - A restaurant seems on the cards.

LOOK. i didn't realise that i would need to explain my life story just to get a few helpful hints here. AS to being imediately formed what makes you think that? because i just told you? My GF is 'rich' as far as a girl from thailand in concerned, and this project as been on the cards for some time. As for this term 'Troll'- only makes me laugh. You can decided, as i am not trying to be a long time member!! i am only here for advise on my situation and once i receive alittle more knowledge so i can talk to my girl with a more open mind i can tell you i won't be posting here anymore, as i am not the 'troll' type or even internet geek type. YOU CAN BELEIVE THAT

Sheesh this is hard work

all that bullshit aside thanks to the dude who is helping me out, much love bro - bkkmadness

Edited by Super Villian

LOOK. i didn't realise that i would need to explain my life story just to get a few helpful hints here. AS to being imediately formed what makes you think that? because i just told you? My GF is 'rich' as far as a girl from thailand in concerned, and this project as been on the cards for some time. As for this term 'Troll'- only makes me laugh. You can decided, as i am not trying to be a long time member!! i am only here for advise on my situation and once i receive alittle more knowledge so i can talk to my girl with a more open mind i can tell you i won't be posting here anymore, as i am not the 'troll' type or even internet geek type. YOU CAN BELEIVE THAT

Sheesh this is hard work

all that bullshit aside thanks to the dude who is helping me out, much love bro - bkkmadness

Nice way to thank board members helping you out ?

i really do appreciate everyones help and im sorry if my last post came across rude.. most of you guys have been a great help and i thank you for that.

:D

Hi there ,

I did read about this a bit late . So here is my feedback.

Do you wish to export your Rice? If so, you would need to have an Export Permit that is not easy to get(and costs ) furthermore and depending of the Country you want to ship to you might need Haccp Certification (or even ISO ) which costs additional Money. What do i want to say with all that? 6-7 million will never be enough to start this kind of Business .

Not to mention with the Equipment- that alone would eat up all the 6-7 million

And please look also into your Competition which is primarily run by Chinese Thais. So you won't have much chance in the local market either. 6-7 million builds you a nice House (depending on location) but won't make you a Ricemill that will run with Profit.

Business wise as Foreigner you are not getting a work Permit as this is Agricultural Trade . But there is surely a workaround.

Also you need to think of making your (or your wifes ) Company and this ,if i am not mistaken, costs 2 million . So now you got 6-7 million minus 2 million and not yet bought equipment .

By the way where will the Mill be? If you happen to be in the North-east you'll have one harvest(because it is too dry) if you in the northwest you'll have two harvests. Something you should consider too.

Ok, i know this went off the Topic but i hope it gives you some ideas.

good luck with whatever you decide to do,

rcm :o

Do you wish to export your Rice? If so, you would need to have an Export Permit that is not easy to get(and costs ) furthermore and depending of the Country you want to ship to you might need Haccp Certification (or even ISO ) which costs additional Money. What do i want to say with all that? 6-7 million will never be enough to start this kind of Business .

Interesting, rcm. Are you, by chance, in the rice exporting business?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife's parents recently refused to sell their ricefields (Phrae) because they believed this farlang and his/their offspring's family business could use it. (I've tried to explain, that I have no idea, except that it wouldn't be wise business for the company to "take over" the land, but they don't believe me). I certainly don't believe myself able to compete locally, but if the rice could be sold to an exporter...?

Have you any advice/warning on what it would take? Feel free to reply here or send me a PM.

Interesting, rcm. Are you, by chance, in the rice exporting business?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife's parents recently refused to sell their ricefields (Phrae) because they believed this farlang and his/their offspring's family business could use it. (I've tried to explain, that I have no idea, except that it wouldn't be wise business for the company to "take over" the land, but they don't believe me). I certainly don't believe myself able to compete locally, but if the rice could be sold to an exporter...?

Have you any advice/warning on what it would take? Feel free to reply here or send me a PM.

rishi, maybe it's not that they want you to grow rice as much as having the land. In an agricultural environment, it's the only form of security you can hand down to your kids.

I heard somewhere, and maybe it was on this forum, that one arrangement with land is you have someone else work it, then split the crop between the landowner and the farmer 50/50 or whatever it was. Its the arrangement that used to be done in England centuries ago, and the US until well after the Civil War.

Don't worry about competing locally. Unless the family has huge tracts of land, you sell the rice for what you can get for it. It's not like you're going to drive other rice fields out of business by undercutting them, or they're going to drive yours out of business. It doesn't work that way on the growing end.