Inflated Electric Bill And What To Do

My bill is 1,600 baht this month. I used 390 units.

The place is 27 square meters, one refrigerator, one air conditioner run at night and sometimes during the day, a very small kitchen stoves used 2 times everyday, a flat screen tv, a washer (maybe 4 loads a week), an electric water heater, and a laptop and some other small stuff.

The 390 seems too high to me based on other places I have been. The per unit cost seems about right.

I am pretty sure something is off; that 390 number really stands out to me. My place is pretty cool, no afternoon sun. I am not sure what to do now. Any suggestions/opinions? Thanks.

The last thing I'll note is the door to the meters was open for a while, now (after getting this bill) it has been locked.

Edited by utalkin2me

At this time of year, we don't use AC's here in the house, we have 2 plasma TV's on a lot, fans, I use the electric oven a lot, we wash several loads of clothes per month, last electric bill was for 507 units at a price of 2,195 Baht. I don't think your electric bill is too out of line.

• Like 1

Have you just moved into this place?

Is it your first bill?

Second bill. The first was actually "worse" in terms of rate per day. I was only here 13 days that cycle, but used 215 units. That is 16.5 units a day. Whereas the last 31 days has been 390 units, so 12.6 units per day. Maybe things are getting better smile.png

Really though, seems too high to me. I am getting one opinion saying our stove may be using a lot of energy. I'll look into that.

Edited by utalkin2me

My money would be on the air-con being old and inefficient.

Does the compressor seem to run all the time when it's on?

I found a huge difference in bills when I replaced 2 air-con units.

From 4500 baht a month down to just over 3000 baht.

Thanks. Everything is brand spanking new. Should have stated in op.

I too think your bill is about right with the latest increase in price per unit (incl VAT) of 4.36B.

I have a two bedroom large house, do not cook by electric and at this time of year only put air con on timer for about two hours a night but leave a fan on. Same for second bedroom. Have at least one fan if not two going all the time. Have 2 fridges and computer and two large flat screen TV's. 18kg washing machine on at least 4 times a week. Plus I have security lights on all night and two electric powered water pumps and two electric water heaters. Then 3 hours ironing each week. Then on top of that I have the Thai part of the household who do not understand that turning off lights, fans, rice cooker etc or only filling the kettle for enough hot water required for their cup of ovaltine is important to keep the bill down.

I pay on average 2,400B a month. I would say the biggest usage comes from your air cons and cooker plus of course ironing if you do this.

• Like 1

Just a little more info, I have myself experienced and have another source saying the same that with air conditioner, washer, fridge, tv it is coming to about 800 a month, or perhaps a thousand.

I think the key here is the stove, I'll look into how much the stove uses. I have never heard anybody say they need to cut back on stove usage due to electric bill costs though, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Any general info in how much a little burner would use exactly.... we would be talking about 800 baht a month if used twice a day for the burner. I'm sure it's possible.

Edited by utalkin2me

I only use gas or BBQ for cooking but I would guess that your cooker is the biggest user of electric. Ask your wife to stay in the house and when got have got to the meter signal your wife to turn the cooker on and see how fast the wheel turns round. You will be surprised.

• Like 1

Any general info in how much a little burner would use exactly.... we would be talking about 800 baht a month if used twice a day for the burner. I'm sure it's possible.

If we are talking the small table top electric stoves than I would estimate 1.5kW/burner. So for 1 hour usage a day or 1.5kW Hour x 4.36Baht * 30 days = 196.2 Baht + 7%VAT = 210Baht + FuelTax?. So maybe 250/month

• Like 1

If we are talking the small table top electric stoves than I would estimate 1.5kW/burner. So for 1 hour usage a day or 1.5kW Hour x 4.36Baht * 30 days = 196.2 Baht + 7%VAT = 210Baht + FuelTax?. So maybe 250/month

Yes, 2 table top burners, a small one and a larger one. I am not sure how to get the amount of power then use. If your numbers are right our bill (still) seems a little high in that case. Based on a little research it seems it may cost more than that though.

Yes, 2 table top burners, a small one and a larger one. I am not sure how to get the amount of power then use. If your numbers are right our bill (still) seems a little high in that case. Based on a little research it seems it may cost more than that though.

The price of 4.36B per unit is inclusive of VAT and fuel tax (if any) I just checked my last bill. 547 units used, total cost = 2,383B

The price of 4.36B per unit is inclusive of VAT and fuel tax (if any) I just checked my last bill. 547 units used, total cost = 2,383B

You're right, I misread your post about 'inclusive'. Mine below. Large 2 story 3 bedroom 3 bath house usually one AC running in the evenings/night - daytime on weekends in the hot season. 2 hot water shower heaters, two large double door refrigs, coffee heater, rice cooker, electric wok, electric oven used 3-4 times a week, microwave (daily), 2 washing machines maybe 2-3 times a week. Lots of lights on that someone thinks have one way switches only, both indoors and out. wink.png 2 Plasma TVs, one most of the day and the other a few hours in the evening. A high performance workstation running a large part of the day, netbook, router, and more...

post-566-0-38996600-1358005332_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think the 390 units is reasonable. I have basically the same stuff as you, except no electric hot plates for cooking, just toaster, microwave and hot water kettle. My AC is a small 11,500 btu mitsubishi.

I think the 390 units is reasonable. I have basically the same stuff as you, except no electric hot plates for cooking, just toaster, microwave and hot water kettle. My AC is a small 11,500 btu mitsubishi.

Thanks. How much is your bill?

One of the "problems" here is that if somebody was in fact tinkering with something, they would probably inflate your bill only by about 3 or 4 hundred baht to avoid being detected, and of course, it's hard to discern at that level as well. Anyway, I still think it's a possibility it's a little high, and I'll do my best to look into it some.

Your bill sounds about right. I run 2 air conditioners at night in our condo (2 bedrooms), got fridge, stove, water heater, 3 computers, tvs etc...and the bill runs around 4000 per month.

I always get to thinking it's too high and that someone is scamming me, but many times I'd shut all the breakers off and the meter stops, so...I just suck it up and pay.

• Like 1

Just a little more info, I have myself experienced and have another source saying the same that with air conditioner, washer, fridge, tv it is coming to about 800 a month, or perhaps a thousand.

I think the key here is the stove, I'll look into how much the stove uses. I have never heard anybody say they need to cut back on stove usage due to electric bill costs though, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Thats because most people use Gas burners .... electric stoves do use a lot of electricity and cost a fair amount , which is why most people use gas.

Yes, the above cost per unit is correct, my normal monthly usage is between 950 and 1050 units and bills are between 4100 and 4800 bt. incl. VAT.

With the current cool temperature I did not use my air-cons for one month as a result the electrical usage last month has gone down to 780 units and the bill was 3490 tb. incl. VAT.

• Like 1

Washing machine and hot water are the worst culprits. Put them both on and watch your meter whizz around

I think our bill will come down next month. I asked my gf if she uses the hot water on the washer, and she mentioned she does sometimes. I don't think we need that at all, and I know how much energy it takes to heat water, ie a BUNCH. Thanks.

We are in an apt and are overcharged for elect @b7 per unit. Even using just a bit of ac (older unit, not dinosaur) in hot season (one hr a night), one fan, one lcd tv abt four hrs day on avg, hot water shower (not so much in hot season), low power gadgets, older fridge, microwave for heating water basically.

Washing wifes blasted 50kg of clothes 2-3 loads per wk and our sheets. My hunch is this is the issue along with extd ac use.

Super doubt she uses hot water fir washing - colors would run like crazy. Thai textiles, clothes really crap.

Without digging out my bills, we pay about 1150 pm hot season, about 850 cool. So id think the real cost about 25+ percent less. Maybe 800 in the heat - similar to your useage.

We are same as you appliance wise. Our flat is 30sqm. I estimate you use a lot of ac and then there is the oven.

You can have a look at the meter, ask. Its not a secret.

Try using the ac to.flush the hot air out of the room, close it and turn on fan in day time. Keep windows closed and cool in. Night time, run the ac flush the hot air out and open the eindows.

Our ac unit sucks a lot of power. Its slso broken so we have to manually open and close. No stat to regulate ac kicking off leaving fan on. Very, very common here. Also try to turn the ac to low fan, no swing.

Im surprised at how much the older washer uses power - ouch!

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

We are in an apt and are overcharged for elect @b7 per unit. Even using just a bit of ac (older unit, not dinosaur) in hot season (one hr a night), one fan, one lcd tv abt four hrs day on avg, hot water shower (not so much in hot season), low power gadgets, older fridge, microwave for heating water basically.

Washing wifes blasted 50kg of clothes 2-3 loads per wk and our sheets. My hunch is this is the issue along with extd ac use.

Super doubt she uses hot water fir washing - colors would run like crazy. Thai textiles, clothes really crap.

Without digging out my bills, we pay about 1150 pm hot season, about 850 cool. So id think the real cost about 25+ percent less. Maybe 800 in the heat - similar to your useage.

We are same as you appliance wise. Our flat is 30sqm. I estimate you use a lot of ac and then there is the oven.

You can have a look at the meter, ask. Its not a secret.

Try using the ac to.flush the hot air out of the room, close it and turn on fan in day time. Keep windows closed and cool in. Night time, run the ac flush the hot air out and open the eindows.

Our ac unit sucks a lot of power. Its slso broken so we have to manually open and close. No stat to regulate ac kicking off leaving fan on. Very, very common here. Also try to turn the ac to low fan, no swing.

Im surprised at how much the older washer uses power - ouch!

Your usage is very common I notice, so it is a good reference point. Ac with a fridge at or around 1000 baht. I have been there, and have friends in the same ballpark. I didn't know cooking would make our bill jump about 7 or 800 baht, I guess that was foolish. It does make sense running out stove everyday would use quite a bit. I think this is where I was off when I started this thread. I thought the stove would be maybe 300 or so for a month, but it's more for everyday. Win some, lose some.... we save a lot on food, and eat better.... so maybe this is a win a lot, lose a few :)

Stove or oven? Oven will really suck power and its on a minimum of say an hour. So that would be potentially 30 units a month right there. The ac is ?? perhaps 1.5 units per hour? so that is 90 minimum. So...cooking and 2 hour ac = b550 over about what we are doing.

Add to this a few more hours of ac per day, an extra load of wash per week, hot showers and using oven for baking or addl food other than one meal pd - I think that gets you to about b1600.

Keep tabs on the meter...if they are just pushing the number up on you anticipating you willnleave in a year, most likely screw it up sooner or later. Yrs, meter could be broken and yes to their favor so why fix it?

Our fridge is old, but not ancient. It is energy saver. If you have a really old fridge, that also really sucks power. I had a small fridge in a flat once. Awful about b150 a month over std fridge. It seemingly leaked power.

Why dont you shut everything down and see where you are? Its cool season now.

No ac, hot water, wash by hand, minimize tv (use power saving).

Oh, do you have a desktop computer? That will suck loads of power as well. Cable modem?

• Like 1

Stove or oven? Oven will really suck power and its on a minimum of say an hour. So that would be potentially 30 units a month right there. The ac is ?? perhaps 1.5 units per hour? so that is 90 minimum. So...cooking and 2 hour ac = b550 over about what we are doing.

Add to this a few more hours of ac per day, an extra load of wash per week, hot showers and using oven for baking or addl food other than one meal pd - I think that gets you to about b1600.

Keep tabs on the meter...if they are just pushing the number up on you anticipating you willnleave in a year, most likely screw it up sooner or later. Yrs, meter could be broken and yes to their favor so why fix it?

Our fridge is old, but not ancient. It is energy saver. If you have a really old fridge, that also really sucks power. I had a small fridge in a flat once. Awful about b150 a month over std fridge. It seemingly leaked power.

Why dont you shut everything down and see where you are? Its cool season now.

No ac, hot water, wash by hand, minimize tv (use power saving).

Oh, do you have a desktop computer? That will suck loads of power as well. Cable modem?

I have a stove, no oven. I think im convinced my bill is ok, still have mild doubts to be perfectly honest. The tough part is, you gotta figure if they are going to screw people, they will do it at a rate of maybe 2 or 300 baht per month. Tough to detect.

Where are you? If the building is full of farang coming and going short time, possible. If you are in Nakon Nowhere or even just a few farang in condo in BKK. they generally cant be bothered. My apt staff are very honest.

You are given some sort of meter reading yes? Its not just pay 1600 farang hey you! They will have to kerp adding the padded figures to rip you off. In a year the meter would be 100s of units +

You are in a condo. Seems like you are renting from the condo not the owner directly. Unless owned by the condo corporation. Yeah, potential mischief.

Ask to see the meter and check it monthly if that will put you at ease. I have heard that there are tricks to speed the meter up, but youd have to ask others.

Its weird you pay the condo I could see you paying the owner. You know you can have the bill put in your name in a condo? Youd also get the offical uyility price, not one satang more.

Not saying they might not be sticking you somewhere for a few hundred, but if you are running the ac all the time, have a washer, cook....

Something else you might want to try...look at the meter when the ac is on for 60mins that will tell you a lot.

Ask to see the .

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

I'm in BangNa, certainly not farangland.

I don't really have doubts about the meter. I have checked it many times, although they did recently lock that door (which may be good?), but seems in order. I had concerns about it running fast myself. Maybe ill-founded concerns.

I appreciate people talking it through with me. There are never any certainties, but I feel better. Hopefully the thread can help others.