GBP to THB Exchange Rate

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-17813-0-23831900-1366381936_thumb.j

Is 'Cosmopolitan' a similar euphemism to 'confirmed bachelor' ? Better yet, 'highly eccentric confirmed bachelor' ? wink.png

(not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that ! Some of my best friends are confirmed bachelors)

i didn't like this bachelor 'thingy' and married nearly 34 years ago a cosmopolitan lady who's number of citizenships/passports, among them a British one, beats my lonely two by 50%.

therefore i also claim the title "long time confirmed cosmopolitan husband" who wins every 9th november the attribute "most cherished, admired and successful husband of the year".

laugh.png

Surely batchelor is a soup'

post-17813-0-23831900-1366381936_thumb.j

For what it is worth I received this in a mail this morning regarding a UK banks "International Financial Outlook" - part of it was -

"GBP is the best performing G10 currency since our last Outlook, possibly reflecting heightened uncertainty in the euro area. We have raised near-term targets for GBP crosses but still look for it to trend lower in the year ahead. GBP/USD is forecast at 1.45 at end 2013"

If correct and, as most suspect, the $US drops further against the baht then that would make the pound/baht ........w00t.gif

Go ahead, you can say it, we're not afraid - 35, there, I beat you to it.

""""""

Ratings agency Fitch has stripped the UK of its AAA rating, citing a "weaker economic and fiscal outlook".

The agency placed the UK on an AA+ rating, following Moody's downgrade of UK debt in February.

A Fitch statement said: "The downgrade of the UK's sovereign ratings primarily reflects a weaker economic and fiscal outlook and hence the upward revision to Fitch's medium-term projections for UK budget deficits and government debt."

The downgrade will place further pressure on the Government ahead of next week's first quarter GDP figures, which will reveal if Britain has managed to avoid an unprecedented triple-dip recession.

The agency now expects Government debt to peak at 101% of GDP in 2015-16, only declining gradually in 2017-18. That is worse than its previous forecast of debt peaking at 97% of GDP and declining in 2016-17.

Fitch, which waited until stock markets had closed before announcing the downgrade, had already warned that Government failure to stabilise debt below 100% of GDP and set it on a firm downward path would trigger a downgrade.

The statement said: "Despite the UK's strong fiscal financing flexibility underpinned by its own currency with reserve currency status and the long average maturity of public debt, the fiscal space to absorb further adverse economic and financial shocks is no longer consistent with an AAA rating."

Fitch slashed the UK's growth forecast to 0.8% this year, from its earlier expectation of 1.5%. Next year it expects the UK economy to grow by 1.8%, down from its previous 2% forecast.

Earlier this week, the International Monetary Fund also cut the UK's growth forecast growth from 1% to 0.7% this year and 2014's projection from 1.9% to 1.5%, noting the recovery was "progressing slowly".

IHS Global Insight economist Howard Archer said the downgrade was "no surprise" and is likely to have minimal market impact.

"Nevertheless, Fitch's move is another slap in the face for the government - particularly as the Chancellor (George Osborne) made keeping the AAA rating a key focus for the UK," he said.

Fellow ratings agency Standard & Poors held the UK's debt rating steady at AAA earlier this month, but warned over the economy's "negative outlook".

""""""

-sky news app

Always chat about in a couple of years debt will start coming down and growth returning, as if by magic. The dates keep moving further out. Unfortunately its probably only going to get worse. More QE to by the government bonds. I wonder what % of GDP debt that is not self funded makes up? I mean the debt where the service cost actually goes out rather than circled back around to the government. Maybe a bit of this money printing is actually not so bad from a solvency perspective; but for sure it will result in a weakening £ until the policy ends.

I think the GBP will gain some value back soon. I am basing this on nothing. Gotta balance out the negativity.

In that case let me rephrase your post, "I wish the GBP will gain some value back soon"", there, much better.

I think the GBP will gain some value back soon. I am basing this on nothing. Gotta balance out the negativity.

In that case let me rephrase your post, "I wish the GBP will gain some value back soon"", there, much better.
Hope has been a proven strategy for years.

Hope has been a proven strategy for years.

faith can move mountains! tongue.png

I wonder where this lot would like to see the £ go:

"""""

Researchers found the 1,000 richest people in Britain have wealth totalling almost £450bn.

Rich List: Top 10

There are now a record 88 billionaires among the country's wealthiest 1,000 individuals and families, up from 77 billionaires in 2012 and just nine in 1989.

The combined wealth of the top 200 people in the 2013 Sunday Times Rich List is £318.2bn, a more than eightfold rise on the £38bn for the combined wealth of the 200 people featured in the first Rich List in 1989.

"""""

-sky news app

I wonder where this lot would like to see the £ go:
"""""
Researchers found the 1,000 richest people in Britain have wealth totalling almost £450bn.

high net worth individuals have their assets and currency denominations diversified. this and the fact that any £/*.* exchange will not affect their life style or cause a serious impact on their net worth suggests they don't have specific "likes" where the £ goes.

It's becomming increasingly more difficult for the average ex-pat to figure out where to store his/her funds:

Pound Sterling is forecast to continue its decline but THB looks like it wants to keep getting stronger, but will it, exports are starting to
hurt because of Baht strength and with inflation here a real threat it seems unlikely the solution is to lower interest rates. So will BOT
engage in some form of QE as an answer in order to weaken the Baht and what will that do to the THB/GBP ex. rate - could it be the time has
come to be holding GBP and not THB, on at least a short term basis in order to lock in the GBP/THB profit?

And if holding GBP, what to do with it. Despite the UK governments best try, it's attempts to talk up the property market from an already
too high position looks doomed to failure, UK consumers are surely not that stupid as to believe what's being fed to them and property values
surely must fall (albeit slowly over time)!

Anyone?

And if holding GBP, what to do with it.

not to focus exclusively on GBP, a mistake most Brits have made

and are still making, would be a good start. they have to concede

that Britannia and mighty Sterling do not rule anymore

except perhaps........

........the Islas Malvinas (also known as Falkland Islands).

tongue.png

except perhaps........

tongue.png

What currencies to diversify to and how to hold x currency and produce decent return?

Seems like all currencies have thier issues, let alone a safe decent return.

except perhaps........

tongue.png

What currencies to diversify to and how to hold x currency and produce decent return?

Yes, that's the problem. But I can't help but feel that THB is getting ready to (be) weaken(ed) and for those of us that are holding large amounts of it, it makes sense act soon.

except perhaps........

tongue.png

Thai Baht produced a very decent return even if kept under the mattress. but that was not actually my point. what is important is not to select a currency which might or not might generate decent returns but assets (denominated in various currencies) which generate decent returns and which might therefore outweigh any currency "issues".

note: the choice of assets denominated in GBP is rather limited.

except perhaps........

tongue.png

Thai Baht produced a very decent return even if kept under the mattress. but that was not actually my point. what is important is not to select a currency which might or not might generate decent returns but assets (denominated in various currencies) which generate decent returns and which might therefore outweigh any currency "issues".

note: the choice of assets denominated in GBP is rather limited.

That's what I'm talking about. What "assets" in what currency produce decent returns without excessive risk? Tax

In UK I can get 25-30% on my mortgaged leveraged property. I just can't find anything that beats that. Even with devaluation I'm thinking maybe better to expand this than buy in to lower yield but equally poor out looking currencies like the dollar. I can get the finance to leverage overseas prop in same way, otherwise I might consider Canada or Australia, but there are tax issues and outlook in those countries also. I still plan to buy a lot of bht assets

If you combine a devaluation of Sterling and a drop in house prices, the loss could be susbstantial. My dilema is that I'm holding long term GBP
whose value is being eroded by inflation and is potentially at risk from a bank grab at some point, the opportunity exists to invest in UK
rental property but that seems like the worst of both worlds at present (note that I don't share the governments enthusiasm for continued high
property prices).

In UK I can get 25-30% on my mortgaged leveraged property. I just can't find anything that beats that.

neither can i. there are a few of my positions in my portfolio which showed end of 2012 in excess of 25% but presently i have to manage with a spread yield between 6.5 and18% and double digit yields all pointing to high risk.

What "assets" in what currency produce decent returns without excessive risk? Tax

what about Gold? we all know that Gold can never go down. it keeps its value since thousands of years. what goes up and down are the currencies and the commodities when priced in Gold. Gold is the ultimate investment and the Gold in you basement is out of reach for the taxman.

whistling.gif

for more information read what the learned gentlemen have to say in:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/218064-where-is-gold-going-in-this-market/

Now I'm no expert, but this looks quite nice: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1M

Up to 44.9 from 43.5 on the 21st.

Yea i just clocked onto this today as up to 45.3 now, so i transferred abit more money across to my thai account just in case its a false dawn of a recovery.

But here is hoping that this recovery keeps going and we are sitting a bit more prettier in a months time.

• Like 1

Now I'm no expert, but this looks quite nice: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1M

Yea i just clocked onto this today as up to 45.3 now, so i transferred abit more money across to my thai account just in case its a false dawn of a recovery.

But here is hoping that this recovery keeps going and we are sitting a bit more prettier in a months time.

I was down the bank today to transfer more GBP into TBH also. This is probably the last meaningful spike in the rate before the general downward trend continues so I reckon people holding GBP need to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

This spike was because of the UK GDP figure of 0.3% being released yesterday. As far as I can tell though theunderlying reconomic problems are going to take more than a year to get over and during this time the exchange rate isn't going to be going up as far as UK-related factors are concerned.

I was down the bank today to transfer more GBP into TBH also. This is probably the last meaningful spike in the rate before the general downward trend continues so I reckon people holding GBP need to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

This spike was because of the UK GDP figure of 0.3% being released yesterday. As far as I can tell though theunderlying reconomic problems are going to take more than a year to get over and during this time the exchange rate isn't going to be going up as far as UK-related factors are concerned.

Looking at the graphs for USD and Euros, I'm not sure the GDP figure has everything to do with it, both currencies also gained value against the Baht.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=1M

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=THB&view=1M

I noticed the move yesterday, a little bit of good news for us, how far will it go is crystal ball time, no guesses just hope it keeps moving in the same direction, so at what figure do you think this worth a transfer and not worry about the rate variation for the year? I saw 46/47 mm would like a bit better than that 48 and definetly anything over 49 would bring a years living expenses out, that is the lesson of the first part of the year.Amen,

I noticed the move yesterday, a little bit of good news for us, how far will it go is crystal ball time, no guesses just hope it keeps moving in the same direction, so at what figure do you think this worth a transfer and not worry about the rate variation for the year? I saw 46/47 mm would like a bit better than that 48 and definetly anything over 49 would bring a years living expenses out, that is the lesson of the first part of the year.Amen,

I'm waiting until the civil war starts.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I'm waiting until the civil war starts.

You'll have a long wait and even if you don't, you'll be dissappointed with the results. Even a couple of years ago when there was serious unrest in Bangkok and the army was on the streets, THB never skipped a beat, expect the same thing to happen next time.

• Like 1