Mitsubishi Website For Pajero 3.2Lt Servicing.

DJH77

I only found that this had been added to their website last week when i was attempting to find out when the Timing Belt should be changed as the Mitsu Service Dept in Mukdahan had told me that my TIMEING BELT should be Changed as my car had done 100,000Kl and gave me a Print Out of the Cost, ( all in Thai of course) which was 22,000 Baht. I found this a bit extreme to say the least so i started making enquiries. On checking the Mitsu website i found the 100.000Kl service recommendations under Periodical Maintenance, but there was no mention of the Timing Belt but i did notice that it was WRONG anyway when i came to the Amount of Oil that the engine holds. So i contacted Mitsubishi Tecnical Section and asked the Question about the Timeing Belt, Specifically IS IT A TIMEING BELT OR CHAIN. They said it was a BELT and should be Changed at 100,000Kl. I told them that from other websites on this 3.2Lt engine from Australia and the US i found that they said it was a Timeing CHAIN not a belt so would they please check on this and get back to me with an answer. At the same time i explained that their website was wrong as to the Amount of Oil the engine holds and of course the price of the Service. About 6 Hours later i got a return call which was full of Apologies as they had checked the website and it was wrong. I said OK, no problem, you can fix that but what about the Important Question, is it a Belt or Chain. They then said, very sorry, you are right it is a TIMEING CHAIN and you don't have to Replace it at 100,000Kl. To this i replied that you had better Inform all your Dealer Service Centres of this fact as it appears they have NO IDEA and will be ripping off their customers. They of course apologised again and said they would check furthur and call me again to tell me their Recommendation for Changing the Timeing Chain. No reply yet. But i have found on other sites that 200,000Ks is recommended but i have also found posts that go as high as 400,000Ks before they were changed. It seems that the Chain is No Problem but the Chain Tensioner can start to get very noisy and must be changed or there will be a big problem wif it breaks. So to all of you who have a 3.2Lt Pajero GT Turbo that's the story. During my Investigation into this i contacted Brett Middleton of MRT Performance in Australia who does Performance Packages for these engines and explained that over here many of us Fit either RaceChip or SpeedKit Piggy back computer boxes to or Diesel engines to get the additional Performance. He thinks that these are very dangerous as far as the engine goes so you might want to look at his site and what he has to offer for Performance Upgrades.

Same story from honda - asked to change the timing belt on my honda civic at 200K km (same issue also at the 100K km service!).....the 1.7 engine has a belt, but my 2.0 has a timing chain. Customer beware. Have you got a belt or chain? For the average Thai, who wouldn't even pop the hood, they probably don't have a clue.

laugh.png I have noticed of late some latent hostility in the workshop manager's attitude where we take out trucks.

I am always very polite and maybe too friendly but he seems ill at ease when I ask questions about reasons for doing stuff or why he recommends, etc.

I think he has sussed that I don't ask a question unless I am reasonably sure what the answer is or I have a strong suspicion what is wrong before requesting specific work.

If I agree with his diagnosis or procedure I am happy to acquiesce.

Edited by VocalNeal